Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Jun 1, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #1,381 of 2,669
Not sure I’d want to change anything about this headphone which is why I am a little wary about pad swapping. In many ways the R70x is the perfect dynamic openback for me: neutral with a slight hint of warmth and, unlike the Sennheisers it most likely was inspired by, it has the ability to reach low and render subbass notes effortlessly and clean. That means it effectively has become a Jack-of-all-trades for yours truly. I can swoop from Kayo Dot to Thelonious Monk to Burial to Nick Drake and everything sounds ‘right’. I’ve said it before and I’ll probably say it again: this Audio Technica is the most natural sounding dynamic headphone I’ve come across yet.

Extra cheese:
It loves a good tube amp. Personally I am using it with my Valhalla 2 and it’s a great sonic handshake.
It is not THAT hard to drive considering the specs. I just ordered a short 1.2 m cable for mine, because I found out that I could make it sing via the SE amp in my Plenue D2, which is 2 VRMS. I’m at about 90-100 out of 140 volume steps to reach my prefered listening level, so plenty of headroom left.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #1,382 of 2,669
I also think they're fantastic, but the comfort with stock pads leaves a lot to be desired... :)
that's why I tried so many pads, and compared a lot back and forth, and found that these pads are the only ones that don't change the sound dramatically. they still have that very natural sound to them!

most other pads completely ruined the sound for me, majority of them made the bass sound very boomy and treble balance was very off.

Jun 1, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #1,383 of 2,669
We must have different heads then :)
The R70x is without a doubt THE most comfortable headphone I’ve had the pleasure of listening to (disregarding the HFI-15g because..well simply because it’s out of it’s class).
It literally disappears after a minute or so and I’m engulfed inside this beautiful sonic room. Also why I feel the soundstage is so incredible; in a quiet room with the lights turned low it sounds as big as (small) speakers. Mostly because you feel as if you’re not wearing anything..the mind does the rest in oh so mysterious ways like the good Bono says.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #1,384 of 2,669
they are comfortably light-weight, but the pads are quite stiff and the fabric is a little rough on my ears.
I think maybe because my ears and head are quite large they get a little uncomfortable, the pads rub on my ears when I move my mouth/jaw, which isn't comfortable.
the new pads are better in that regard because the fabric is much softer.

Jun 6, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #1,385 of 2,669
Just bought an used (almost mint) R70X instead Fostex T60RP or TR-X00 mahogany
T60RP = not sure if I really want to buy it with import price
TR-X00 = I lost the auction
I will pair it with JDS Labs Atom

Jun 6, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #1,386 of 2,669
Just bought an used (almost mint) R70X instead Fostex T60RP or TR-X00 mahogany
T60RP = not sure if I really want to buy it with import price
TR-X00 = I lost the auction
I will pair it with JDS Labs Atom
Selamat siang @riposte. Looking forward to your impressions!

Jun 22, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #1,387 of 2,669
I have been padrolling the R70x a bit, and I have found both the grey velour DT990-pads and the perforated alcantara Shure 1540 pads to be great matches.

As far as I can tell, the 1540 pads makes the headphones a smidgen darker and bassier, but not a whole lot. They do improve comfort a lot, though.

The DT990 pads makes the headphone a bit brighter. They are a bit difficult to fit properly onto the headphones, but in my opinion, the few minutes it takes are worth it.

Jun 28, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #1,388 of 2,669
Someone had said that these are not that hard to drive. While you may be able to get volume, the more juice these get the higher up they go in SQ.
Just look at the impedance at around 100hz in this graph (2nd one down) https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHR70x.pdf
Almost over 900ohms! So a powerful amp is to pair with is highly recommended.

Jul 9, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #1,389 of 2,669
After buying the amazing es9038pro based sabaj d5 dac last week .. The r70x is the first in a long line of end game headphones for me to try . They arrive in 2 days. I already have the m40x and love it's neutral detailed sound.. I just need a bit more seperation more spatial information more detail if thats even possible lol .. so r70x is a good starting point being from the same company and being open.

Jul 9, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #1,390 of 2,669
After buying the amazing es9038pro based sabaj d5 dac last week .. The r70x is the first in a long line of end game headphones for me to try . They arrive in 2 days. I already have the m40x and love it's neutral detailed sound.. I just need a bit more seperation more spatial information more detail if thats even possible lol .. so r70x is a good starting point being from the same company and being open.

Prepare to hear something little different, R70X differs quite a bit from the typical "ATH-house sound." Great can nonetheless.

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #1,391 of 2,669
Hi guys :L3000:

Been feeding the R70x for almost 3 years with my portable DAC/Amp TEAC HA-P50 which is slighty thick sounding and a little smooth.

By now I decided to upgrade to a desktop dac/amp combo that has plenty of "juice" to feed my R70x.

Budget is around 250-300$, any suggestion? I prefer neutral slightly warm-ish sound which is an upgrade to my TEAC HA-P50.

I'm not much like the Schiit's house sound at all, had been using the Magni 2Uber combo for a month, which i was found bright sounding to my ears.

Also, I'm curious about the Xduoo TA-10 Hybrid Tube DAC/Amp combo that has plenty of power (2000mW at 32 ohms), it also has some good reviews around but lacks of attention :L3000:
https://www.headfonia.com/xduoo-ta-10-review/
http://www.thephonograph.net/xduoo-ta-10-review/

Jul 25, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #1,392 of 2,669
I got a pair of these a couple of weeks ago. I am in love, they are so comfortable and the sound is so nice to me. They do need a good amp, I thought they had some bass distortion but it turned out that the amp I was using was not able to drive them properly. So, these with a good amp and I am very happy.

Aug 3, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #1,393 of 2,669
I have had some more time with these now and I am very pleased. These are actually the first headphones that I prefer listening to over my Dynaudio speakers. They sound so natural and the bass is so good. The fact that they are light and comfortable is a huge deal too. I have had HD 600s and K701 and I prefer these.

Aug 8, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #1,394 of 2,669
Not sure I’d want to change anything about this headphone which is why I am a little wary about pad swapping. In many ways the R70x is the perfect dynamic openback for me: neutral with a slight hint of warmth and, unlike the Sennheisers it most likely was inspired by, it has the ability to reach low and render subbass notes effortlessly and clean. That means it effectively has become a Jack-of-all-trades for yours truly. I can swoop from Kayo Dot to Thelonious Monk to Burial to Nick Drake and everything sounds ‘right’. I’ve said it before and I’ll probably say it again: this Audio Technica is the most natural sounding dynamic headphone I’ve come across yet.

Extra cheese:
It loves a good tube amp. Personally I am using it with my Valhalla 2 and it’s a great sonic handshake.
It is not THAT hard to drive considering the specs. I just ordered a short 1.2 m cable for mine, because I found out that I could make it sing via the SE amp in my Plenue D2, which is 2 VRMS. I’m at about 90-100 out of 140 volume steps to reach my prefered listening level, so plenty of headroom left.

Good to know. I may be getting this headphone and have a Valhalla 2 at the moment to use it with

Aug 9, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #1,395 of 2,669
Amazing cans. The detail retrieval is so good and so much better than Beyerdynamic DT770 or Autio Technica ATH-50 (although I love both of those cans). You can definitely hear stuff buried deeper in the mix better with these cans (like toms in some recordings). They lack highs a bit, although I would not call them dark, and you can clearly hear it on tracks like Deftones' Digital Bath (around 1 sec, when heavy guitars kick in, the hi-hats disappear in the wall of guitars, while it is clearly heard on other reference headphones), same with other congested mixes. This and the relatively narrow soundstage for an open headphone are about the only downsides of these headphone to my ears. I found one little trick that helps with my pair in regards to highs: when I swap left and right cables (put left channel cable into the right can and vice versa), turn over the cans (put the left can on my right ear and the right one on my left ear), I get more highs, while everything else stays the same. Probably to do with the shape of headphones and how they sit on my head. Might not work in every instance, but try it out, it might do the trick!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back