Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Feb 17, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #1,351 of 2,669
These headphones indeed have an ability to disappear more than any other headphone ive heard so far. And I dont only mean how lightweight they are, I feel almost like im floating through a dark space surrounded by music and not listening headphones at all. Extremely immersive.

Feb 17, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #1,352 of 2,669
I think people generally underestimate cans with this extreme level of lightweight. Everything else they ever tried at 200 grams probably reeked of Porta Pros and old school 80s walkman gear.
This is not your everyday Porta Pro though - not even slightly. It certainly needs more juice!
I love the fact that it handles EVERY genre I throw at it. Earlier today I went from The Future Sound Of London - Lifeforms to Lou Reed - Berlin to GZA - Liquid Swords to Nick Drake - Pink Moon. Now I’m on Pharoah Sanders’ Elevation and the r70x still sounds just as beautifully matched. It is uncanny(hoho).

Feb 28, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #1,354 of 2,669
What’s the best ear pads for ATH-R70x so it fits to my Ears?
Stick pads work great. They are a little shallow as my ears touched the driver on occasion.

Mar 2, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #1,355 of 2,669
Deeply good these headphones! There are picky people who don’t like certain aspects, fair play to them! They’re cheap, ($355 AUD) light, comfy, and do have a warmer tone. It’s a similar tone to the Audezes without the huge weight on my neck. That’s a win.

Mar 3, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #1,356 of 2,669
Deeply good these headphones! There are picky people who don’t like certain aspects, fair play to them! They’re cheap, ($355 AUD) light, comfy, and do have a warmer tone. It’s a similar tone to the Audezes without the huge weight on my neck. That’s a win.
Despite owning the r70x several times in the end I still decided to sell it. At the price I got it for there was nothing to complain... But then I also have no reason to keep it. If I want huge soundstage I’d go AKG, if I want laid back I can go to my HD6xx. Not to mention I also have a pair of HD600, which was really close to the r70x. Still, if some day I decide to sell all these cans, I’d go back to it

Mar 3, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #1,357 of 2,669
Old Enough - The Raconteurs in .flac

Yeah odd recording. Main vocals is in the upper left and the background vocals is in the lower left and then becomes centered for the chorus.

Mar 3, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #1,358 of 2,669
How are these compared to the HD58x? Worth replacing AD900x with these?

Mar 3, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #1,359 of 2,669
But still Like the song and never gets old, first album was way darker and recorded more seriously and probably the best rock album ever made in history there is also jazz vibes in some songs. Man I wish they make more records!

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #1,360 of 2,669
How are these compared to the HD58x? Worth replacing AD900x with these?
These 3 aren't quite alike. The HD58X is a bit V-shaped, they have quite a lot of bass and trebles (tad grainy trebles too). The AD900x as you know is mid-focused. The R70x leans more on the neutral side, and with quite a large soundstage.

If you like the AD900x I suggest trying out the AD2000X, that's the true upgrade for it

Mar 15, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #1,361 of 2,669
So... sitting in front of an hd600, 6XX and the r70x:)
I used to own both Sennies as well as the 58X and the 580 Precision - cans that I sold off in favour of the Audio Technica mind you.
Well seeing as memory can be a fickle thing - taste equally so, I thought I’d revisit two of the classics - kindly helped along by my friend who has been without his fave headphones for the week...oh well he is currently listening to my he500 (it’s actually a 500 stuffed into the shell of an he6) - I am not expecting any complaints:p

Aaaaanyways still prefer the r70x. It just sounds more natural to me. I think it’s the combination of great subbass extension as well as a smoother top-end that does it for me. For me it also trumps the Sennies in comfort and soundstage.

Mar 16, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #1,362 of 2,669
Impressions and glib observations:
-all 3 cans sound wonderful and close enough to what most of us would call ‘neutral’.
-the 6XX/650 is the warmer of the bunch yet also still feels the most forward in the mids.
-whenever I put on an album with lots of musical information in the deep end of the pool ie various branches of electronic music, I find myself instantly prefering the Audio Technica. The Sennies both run out of steam too quickly for my tastes and even the delightful extra amount I get with the 6XX fades in comparison with the extra width and detail I get from the basement of the r70x. I find that it ultimately adds to the overall balance of the headphone - also when I’m listening to well recorded rock or jazz for that matter.
-it’s still THE finest sounding headphone gram-for-gram I’ve ever tried.
-I think psychoacoustics in general play a much larger role in hi fi than anyone here cares to admit, which, in effect turns something like this r70x and it’s ability to completely disappear on the head into quite the contender. If you don’t sense anything embracing your cranium your mind also feels remarkably more “free”...something I personally believe to be one of the main culprits behind increased sq; ease of mind.
-I still ever so slightly prefer hip hop over the 6XX (but that’s about it) :p

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #1,363 of 2,669
These have made the list! Will seek out and hear one this year! :heart_eyes:

Apr 6, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #1,364 of 2,669
Much to my surprise this little thing is actually neck-and-neck with my new favourite Sennheiser, the 660. Whereas the Sennie provides a little more sparkle up top the Audio Technica instead reaches deeper down low. The r70x is also the more natural sounding headphone to these ears.
I’ve said this before but here I go again: folks into the whole 6 series by Sennheiser should try out one of these babies. If you want a headphone that sounds effortlessly natural without the bass roll-off of the Sennheisers and furthermore want something you can throw tubes at, tadahh!

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #1,365 of 2,669
Much to my surprise this little thing is actually neck-and-neck with my new favourite Sennheiser, the 660. Whereas the Sennie provides a little more sparkle up top the Audio Technica instead reaches deeper down low. The r70x is also the more natural sounding headphone to these ears.
I’ve said this before but here I go again: folks into the whole 6 series by Sennheiser should try out one of these babies. If you want a headphone that sounds effortlessly natural without the bass roll-off of the Sennheisers and furthermore want something you can throw tubes at, tadahh!
I got a sweet spot for AT, One of my first decent headphones were the AD700's, gave them away to a good friend many moons ago! Would love to have the R70x in my stable with the 600/650's, here's hoping soon as there are a few up for grabs in my location!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back