Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Nov 9, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #1,336 of 2,666
Pretty quiet here... i joined to the club today. :) Havent listened yet but they are ridiculously light and comfortable.

r4OeqZl.jpg
You're going to love the sound. I preferred them over the HD650's that I had. They are very musical headphones that need a slight boost in the treble region to my ears.

Nov 9, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #1,337 of 2,666
You're going to love the sound. I preferred them over the HD650's that I had. They are very musical headphones that need a slight boost in the treble region to my ears.

These are definitely interesting sounding headphones. Basically pretty flat and neutral overall so their not really supposed to sound musical or "fun" but these cans really put a smile on my face. :p Treble feels about right to me, i think i can sometimes hear that slight "grain" in certain songs but its hard to say is it the track or a headphone. Midrange sounds very natural, i love vocals with these. Bass surprised me, definitely not for bassheads but i dont find myself carving for more even when song needs some oomph. Soundstage is relatively wide and intimate feeling, kind of reminds me of HD 598. These feel like a good all-rounders so far. :)

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #1,338 of 2,666
These are definitely interesting sounding headphones. Basically pretty flat and neutral overall so their not really supposed to sound musical or "fun" but these cans really put a smile on my face. :p Treble feels about right to me, i think i can sometimes hear that slight "grain" in certain songs but its hard to say is it the track or a headphone. Midrange sounds very natural, i love vocals with these. Bass surprised me, definitely not for bassheads but i dont find myself carving for more even when song needs some oomph. Soundstage is relatively wide and intimate feeling, kind of reminds me of HD 598. These feel like a good all-rounders so far. :)
How do you feel the Denon D-2000 compares in the grain/smoothness and vocal emphasis section?

Nov 12, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #1,339 of 2,666
How do you feel the Denon D-2000 compares in the grain/smoothness and vocal emphasis section?

Grain and upper mid harshness is much more noticeable in D2000 in certain tracks (although D2000 doesnt really sound that harsh to me overall). R70X brings vocals maybe little bit more forward.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #1,341 of 2,666
I guess you're referring to @twister6 review of Trasam HA-2+ ?
I haven't heard of HA2+, so cannot comment.
But right now, while writing this reply, I'm listening to ATH-R70x driven by Fiio E12DIY (Op-Amp OPA827 + Buffer LME49600), using Fiio X3 2nd gen line out,... Wow Wow Wow.... why I didn't try this combo before... honestly I'm mightily impressed by this combo driving R70x!!! Almost as good as the ifi stack!!!

So if E12a is about as powerful as the Fiio E12DIY, yes, it would have enough voltage swing to drive R70x.
My listening volume for the above combo is approximately 12-1 pm (High gain).

What is the cable you use with your r70x (in the pic)?

Dec 25, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #1,343 of 2,666
why vocal is not always center while using r70x with xduo xd05 in asio mode?

Maybe some tracks just dont have centered vocals? Can you name examples?

Dec 25, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #1,345 of 2,666
Old Enough - The Raconteurs in .flac

It seems that vocals in this track just arent centered, i listened it with D2000 as well.

Jan 31, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #1,347 of 2,666
I've owned the r70x for a while now (got them soon after they came out), but I've just made a startling discovery: to me, they sound 1000x better with no pads at all.

In the past, using the original pads and then the Brainwavz velour, I've often felt the headphones sounded a bit too warm or dark-- too thick in the mid-bass, and a bit lacking in treble presence. I liked other qualities of the sound, enough to keep them, but I often wondered if I'd be better off with AKGs or something else. Anyway, I finally tried them with no pads at all, and to my astonishment, they truly sound magical. The bass is still there, but leaner and perhaps more detailed, and now the upper-midrange and treble really come alive. And they are surprisingly comfortable with no pads; they seem to sit just right on my slightly-large ears. I might try creating some minimalist pads-- very thin slivers of foam-- but I may not even do that.

Most likely I just have weird ears, and this won't be useful to too many people. But I'd be curious to hear if anyone else has had this experience.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #1,348 of 2,666
I've owned the r70x for a while now (got them soon after they came out), but I've just made a startling discovery: to me, they sound 1000x better with no pads at all.

In the past, using the original pads and then the Brainwavz velour, I've often felt the headphones sounded a bit too warm or dark-- too thick in the mid-bass, and a bit lacking in treble presence. I liked other qualities of the sound, enough to keep them, but I often wondered if I'd be better off with AKGs or something else. Anyway, I finally tried them with no pads at all, and to my astonishment, they truly sound magical. The bass is still there, but leaner and perhaps more detailed, and now the upper-midrange and treble really come alive. And they are surprisingly comfortable with no pads; they seem to sit just right on my slightly-large ears. I might try creating some minimalist pads-- very thin slivers of foam-- but I may not even do that.

Most likely I just have weird ears, and this won't be useful to too many people. But I'd be curious to hear if anyone else has had this experience.

What do you mean by without pads? How can eat headphones without pads? LOL

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #1,349 of 2,666
@Kamchatka great finding! I also just tried removed pad R70x. it sounded "Fun" but treble a tad grainy and harsh at the same time. Still fun sounding. it's sounded like lesser HD800 or Stax stuff.

my setup is iMac (USB)> oppo Sonica DAC (XLR)> Luxman p-700u (single ended)> R70x with removed pad. I just tried some Classical music tunes.

probably someone or manufacture could make fun sounding pads for R70x. They will be sold like flyers...

Edit; I just try to move R70 to the near temple(forward) Grain and harshness is gone. Great findings Kamchatka!

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #1,350 of 2,666
Talk about a headphone that flies under the radar..
I mean this is basically a mix of the hd600 and hd650 but with subbass and a tad more stage.
Add to that the 480 ohms willing to partake in all kinds of amps n tube tomfoolery plus the additional comfort that goes together with a can weighing a little over 200 grams, and you effectively end up at a very exciting place.

One of the biggest attributes of lightweight cans is that they tend to disappear on one’s head. When that happens all you’re left with is music. It doesn’t necessarily stem from a headphone anymore and so the brain creates a bigger room for the music to frolick in...at least that is what I find when listening to the likes of r70x, f1 and the lesser known hfi-15g (which should be what the Porta Pros are heralded as...but alas folks see the Ultrasone brand and flee screaming for the hills).
When you then get to this headphone-free universe, where you are still wearing them no less..and the can then also has a way with the lower registers, then the room gets even more tangible almost as if sounds develop their own little tangible auras. The f1 fx is completely void of this characteristic in favour of air and the beautifully difuse whereas the Ultrasone with it’s relatively small midbass hump gets a little closer.
The Audio Technica though with it’s formidable low end response and ability to reach doooown the rabbithole of bass when called for is just magnificent. The way this thing evaporates into thin air and just leaves you with this beautiful natural sounding room..well all I can say is that you can keep your 650s:wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back