Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Apr 9, 2024 at 11:08 PM Post #2,656 of 2,669
Hello,
Could someone compare the r70x to other mainstream studio headphones in terms of inner-earpad size and shape and depth/comfort.
i know its been mentioned that its "around 5cm" in diameter. but id prefer an absolute measurement for diameter if someone can provide that.
I'd like to purchase them but im a bit hesitant for fitment, there is no store in my city that carries these for "demo" to test for fitment. so if someone does own a few other headphones to compare similar size that would be greatly appriciated.

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:44 AM Post #2,657 of 2,669
Hello,
Could someone compare the r70x to other mainstream studio headphones in terms of inner-earpad size and shape and depth/comfort.
i know its been mentioned that its "around 5cm" in diameter. but id prefer an absolute measurement for diameter if someone can provide that.
I'd like to purchase them but im a bit hesitant for fitment, there is no store in my city that carries these for "demo" to test for fitment. so if someone does own a few other headphones to compare similar size that would be greatly appriciated.
The inner diameter is slightly less than 5 cm. My ear is 7 cm :) but the pads are soft, so a little discomfort is not critical for me

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-04-10 at 11.16.43.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-04-10 at 11.16.43.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 0
Apr 10, 2024 at 6:13 AM Post #2,658 of 2,669
This was the only reason I sold my r70x - despite the headband and over all construction making them the best balance of light and durable I've yet experienced in a headphone, the ear pads being so small effectively made them on-ears for me... But not really. Just partly, which was worse. It's a shame, because otherwise they would be my go to recommendation for people new to high end headphones.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #2,660 of 2,669

I bought mine on Amazon Italy, and as they used ultimately, sell me without pads. Reading previous informations on this thread, first I bought Brainvawez velour XL pads, that fit comfortable and sound nice. Second I bought Gekrya protein leather pads for Ath 500/700/900 Line. They fit well at the beginnings, with a little punch in mid and low base about sound; but unfortunately they’re tyckness than velour Brainvawez, and for long listening not so good, they hurted my ears. I prefer velour XL Brvwz pads. I choose these cans over HD 600/650 for mid and low base and I enjoy them with everything, music, games, movies. Run theme with Schiit stack Modi 2 Magni 3 plus and toslink to my oled tv. Hope it helps.

Apr 10, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #2,661 of 2,669
Yeah they are hit or miss in terms of comfort it seems. They work for me thankfully and are my most comfortable headphone, I don’t have problems with earcup depth due to the slightly angled drivers. But many do find the earcup opening a bit too small and find the comfort suffers for many due to that. Sonically they are a great alternative to the HD 6xx line.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 10:10 PM Post #2,662 of 2,669
For anybody interested in wiring themselves or getting a designer cable for these the cable schematic is such:
Main Tip - tip left - tip right
Main Ring - ring left - ring right
Main Sleeve - sleeve left - sleeve right

As you can see it's diabolically simple, and it's design means that the left right separation which is constant no matter which cable goes to which socket happens inside the can itself.

I ordered a mimic cable for it and we had some back and forth because it did not work so I took the original oem cable to my local tech guru / amp repair guy and he gave me this info. The mimic is getting rewired as I write this.

I was also getting the same readings on my own meter but didn't know how to interpret it as I'm a novice. Thanks to Colin Simpson.
As a follow up, I have had to change the jack several times so to help others make this easier to do themselves:
Tip - Left hot
Ring 1 - right hot
Sleeve - both colds and the earth

See attached photo...
The white croc cable is the tip to blue # (T),
The red croc cable is the ring 1 to blue # (R) and The green cable is the earth and both whites to sleeve (S)

Attachments

• Lumii_20240411_113111769.jpg
    Lumii_20240411_113111769.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
Apr 12, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #2,663 of 2,669
Hi all! I have had ath r 70x for over 2 weeks now. I really like these headphones from my MacBook Pro 2021. But yesterday they fell off the steel onto the wooden floor. I listened to them right away - the volume did not change or very little. But I have a feeling that there is less bass, especially bass guitars on rock songs. Who has had them for a long time, have you not dropped them? Was there a change in sound? Have a nice day everyone

Apr 12, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #2,664 of 2,669
Hi all! I have had ath r 70x for over 2 weeks now. I really like these headphones from my MacBook Pro 2021. But yesterday they fell off the steel onto the wooden floor. I listened to them right away - the volume did not change or very little. But I have a feeling that there is less bass, especially bass guitars on rock songs. Who has had them for a long time, have you not dropped them? Was there a change in sound? Have a nice day everyone
I never dropped but here is some help to debug the problem (if any).
Audiotests

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 5:57 AM Post #2,665 of 2,669
Drop mine every now and then, onto tiles/tables. Still sounds the same. Maybe you can teach out to AT and ask for replacement cup / or repair?

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #2,667 of 2,669
I have had a pair of these for years now. A few months ago I got some Hifiman Sundaras, thinking that was an upgrade. To me it is not, the R70X have them beat, especially in terms of bass and dynamics. They make the Sundaras sound a bit boring to be honest. when I first got these I had Sennheiser HD600s. I prefer these to the 600s so I sold them.

I can not recommend these highly enough. If your ears fit inside the cup these are very hard to beat. I recommend the stock pads. I have tried various others but the stock pads are best to me.

I am currently using mine with an Aune S17 amp. Sounds just great.

Apr 29, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #2,668 of 2,669
I have had a pair of these for years now. A few months ago I got some Hifiman Sundaras, thinking that was an upgrade. To me it is not, the R70X have them beat, especially in terms of bass and dynamics. They make the Sundaras sound a bit boring to be honest. when I first got these I had Sennheiser HD600s. I prefer these to the 600s so I sold them.

I can not recommend these highly enough. If your ears fit inside the cup these are very hard to beat. I recommend the stock pads. I have tried various others but the stock pads are best to me.

I am currently using mine with an Aune S17 amp. Sounds just great.
Yeah these are seriously underrated headphones. I have found some recent headphones I tried are seriously lacking bass power and dynamics, definitely going to cross the Sundara off my list as I had a similar experience with the Senn HD 560S/400 Pro's, which were huge disappointments due to how dynamically limp they sound. What's turning out an interesting comparison for me is my R70x and my recently acquired Beyer DT 900 Pro X. The R70x is more neutral and spacious but the DT 900 Pro X has notably better transient response, is cleaner sounding, and is more dynamic overall. Not sure which I would prefer long term, will give the DT 900 Pro X a few more months to truly know and need to try both on more systems. The HD 660S2 is nicely dynamic as well especially in the bass and lower mids, but it's lacking some energy in the upper mids and part of the treble compared to the R70x or DT 900 Pro X, making the S2 dark and bottom heavy sounding to my ears at least.

I have been wanting to try the Aune S17 or the Mjolnir 3 out sometime, want to have some nice class A goodness. May try out the cheaper but still class A Aune X7s first.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 6:58 AM Post #2,669 of 2,669
I've owned a pair for a few months now, I got them as my main open-back pair for making music, monitoring and mixing (with the closed-back counterpart being the Sony MDR-Z1000) and I find them to be probably the most precise pair of headphones I own. They aren't the most transparent and neutral that I've tried but that's okay for my purposes since I don't tend to enjoy a 100% flat response, I find most Beyerdynamics to be too drab and grey to my ears for example. Since they live in the studio I tend to listen to the R70x using either my RME Fireface 800 or my MOTU M4 and they pair well with either.

They're also by far the most comfortable pair of cans in my collection (next to the MDR-F1s, but those cheat since there's technically nothing touching your ear on them) due to their light weight and the 3D wing system. The only somewhat annoying part of the build is the stiff stock cable and the fact that replacement cables cost a premium since the connections are proprietary-ish. However props for the long cable which is always a plus when making music and moving around to play a synth off to the side or something (these are supposed to be studio cans after all).

At the price I got them at (less than half retail second hand) I feel like these are a bargain, and still an extremely respectable player at MSRP, only really being matched or bested (at least from the headphones I was able to give a try) by the Neumann NDH 30 which cost nearly twice as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back