Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Apr 11, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #1,366 of 2,666
Hi! I just bought back my R70x 2 days ago to give it a chance with my NAD D3020 (previously I sold the R70x because it was a bit too polite and grainy in the highs). The D3020 does magic with my MSR7 so I thought it would be a good match with the R70x as well. Unfortunately that wasn't the case, the top end was about the same as before, but then I remembered that I've ordered an aftermarket earpad for it when I had it but sold the R70x before it arrived so never had a chance to try it out. So swapped earpads and now I couldn't be happier :) It's a PU leather earpad with similar dimensions, but it doesn't have the angle and also a bit thicker. Result is awesome upper mids/highs, not the elevated and piercing AD900X like but clean and lively ones. Grain is all gone, bass is even more solid, soundstage is a bit narrower but also deeper at the same time. It's not as upfront either, imagine as if you'd take a step back, but that's all. To me it sounds much-much better compared to stock pads, I don't really understand the concept of that shallow earpad. Shorter distance to ears usually means less highs which can help (too) bright headphones but that's not the case with the R70x, it craves for a bit thicker pads.

Apr 11, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #1,367 of 2,666
Hi! I just bought back my R70x 2 days ago to give it a chance with my NAD D3020 (previously I sold the R70x because it was a bit too polite and grainy in the highs). The D3020 does magic with my MSR7 so I thought it would be a good match with the R70x as well. Unfortunately that wasn't the case, the top end was about the same as before, but then I remembered that I've ordered an aftermarket earpad for it when I had it but sold the R70x before it arrived so never had a chance to try it out. So swapped earpads and now I couldn't be happier :) It's a PU leather earpad with similar dimensions, but it doesn't have the angle and also a bit thicker. Result is awesome upper mids/highs, not the elevated and piercing AD900X like but clean and lively ones. Grain is all gone, bass is even more solid, soundstage is a bit narrower but also deeper at the same time. It's not as upfront either, imagine as if you'd take a step back, but that's all. To me it sounds much-much better compared to stock pads, I don't really understand the concept of that shallow earpad. Shorter distance to ears usually means less highs which can help (too) bright headphones but that's not the case with the R70x, it craves for a bit thicker pads.

Can you please send me the link of the pads?

Apr 12, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #1,369 of 2,666
Apr 13, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #1,371 of 2,666
Great tip, might be time for me to get the r70x back

May 6, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #1,375 of 2,666
should I buy balance cable for R70x for cleaner sound? How about LD MK 3 SE, does it pair well?

If not which balanced headphone amp would anyone recommend?(not too expensive)

I have limited knowledge on balanced amps but for me the best budget tube amp pairing with the R70X is a powerful Elemental Watson II which uses the same 6AK5 tubes as on LD MK 3.
The sound becomes more energetic and musical, bass is hefty, warm, wholly presented without long decay.
You get best of both worlds, fast and analytical low end, amazing prat, more detail in highs as well without overemphasis on the tubey warmness.
Sad that I sold the R70X to fund my future LCD3Fs

Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #1,376 of 2,666
I have limited knowledge on balanced amps but for me the best budget tube amp pairing with the R70X is a powerful Elemental Watson II which uses the same 6AK5 tubes as on LD MK 3.
The sound becomes more energetic and musical, bass is hefty, warm, wholly presented without long decay.
You get best of both worlds, fast and analytical low end, amazing prat, more detail in highs as well without overemphasis on the tubey warmness.
Sad that I sold the R70X to fund my future LCD3Fs

I like everything about R70x except the small earpads.

May 13, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #1,377 of 2,666
Can I get someone to measure the dimensions of the earpads on the R70X? Specifically earpad opening diameter, diameter of the full earpad, and thickness.

May 24, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #1,378 of 2,666
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-p...831.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3da24c4dE5XOpD

these are the only pads I've tried that didn't have an overall negative impact on the sound (changing it too much), and actually improve comfort.
only slight downside is that they don't fit as snug as stock pads, but they don't fit poorly. in case anyone is bothered by a non-perfect fit :)

much softer and not as rough on the skin - still small though, as they are same dimensions as stock pads.

@Feilong4 - 50mm earpad opening, 95mm total diameter but only 90mm mounting area (back-side). thickness 20mm. hope that helps and isn't too late!

Last edited:
May 24, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #1,379 of 2,666
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-p...831.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3da24c4dE5XOpD

these are the only pads I've tried that didn't have an overall negative impact on the sound (changing it too much), and actually improve comfort.
only slight downside is that they don't fit as snug as stock pads, but they don't fit poorly. in case anyone is bothered by a non-perfect fit :)

much softer and not as rough on the skin - still small though, as they are same dimensions as stock pads.

@Feilong4 - 50mm earpad opening, 95mm total diameter but only 90mm mounting area (back-side). thickness 20mm. hope that helps and isn't too late!

is it not the same size like the original one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back