Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Dec 13, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #1,186 of 2,669
LOL, great minds? think(spend) alike. I did the same.

beerchug.gif

The description of the sound signature, light weight/comfort, price and ultimately the addition of a profile for Sonarworks led me to pull the trigger on these. I should have them in house on Thursday. 

Dec 13, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #1,187 of 2,669
Dec 13, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #1,188 of 2,669
They are a bit small for my ears and not as deep as I'd like. Brainwavz HM5 type pads (yes, they are oval - but still stretch to fit) are better. I use this pad, similar to Brainwavz, but cost a bit less. [COLOR=FF4400]http://www.nvx.com/xre100s-comfortmax-standard-cushions[/COLOR]

Interesting. Are there any other leather pads alternative to this one?

Understand that brainwavz pads are also velor memory foam pads

Dec 13, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #1,189 of 2,669

beerchug.gif

The description of the sound signature, light weight/comfort, price and ultimately the addition of a profile for Sonarworks led me to pull the trigger on these. I should have them in house on Thursday. 

Will be interested in your impressions, Matt.  I've had the M50x in-house for awhile as the go-to for the grand kids.  They are decent cans, but I'm always looking for ideas to upgrade their listening experience.  Thanks.

Dec 13, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #1,190 of 2,669
Dec 14, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #1,191 of 2,669
Interesting. Are there any other leather pads alternative to this one?
Understand that brainwavz pads are also velor memory foam pads

Yes, Brainwavz pleather or velour will fit like those. Though they are oval, they stretch easily. Very comfortable.

I bought and tried those. They fit the R70x perfectly and are comfortable with no loss other than a bit less bass I think.

Dec 14, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #1,192 of 2,669
Really enjoying Sonarworks + bs2b as suggested by Notacet
Nice to hear how it's supposed to. That flatness...addictive

My software stack: any ALSA app > bs2b >  Sonarworks [pm for setup details on Arch Linux :wink: yes, that's a win32 vst plugin running. magic]

I wonder how to achieve same thing on my analog stack (crossfeed + flat eq). Don't really wanna do turntable > ADC > Linux > DSP > DAC :D

[size=1em][/size]

Dec 15, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #1,193 of 2,669
Hey everyone.

In terms of home rig, mine has hardly developed (due to largely being on-the-go).
My main home headphone have largely been different iterations of Grados (now the Grado SR325is). While I do love them, they have simply not been able to adapt to my evolving musical preferences and discoveries. 

Currently largely these genres:

With these genres, Grados simply do not offer the body (and to an extent the separation) needed to make the instruments and complex 'walls of sound' sound appealing. At the same time I can not really live with bass oriented gear.
Probably a common comparison, I have been looking at the HD600 or the R70x . Both are said to be very similar in orientation. 

But what are the differences and does anybody here have experiences with these sorts of musical genres (using the R70x)?

Thanks a lot.
-TheDreamthinker

Dec 15, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #1,194 of 2,669
Here is my stream of consciousness/impressions right out of the box after an hour:

*comfort is outstanding for my head. I love the fitment system

*sounds somewhat similar to hd600 but different, for my preferences I'd choose the AT over the 600 after this brief audition

*detail is coming through nicely without any harshness, pretty neutral overall. Bass goes pretty low but maybe lacking a little visceral impact based on what I'm used to

*imaging is better than I expected based on reviews and is the sound stage

*needs as much volume on the knob as the hd650, wow!! 

*Just engaged the Sonarworks profile for this headphone. It's very early but I'll definitely say that if you like the r70x, you need to download the "free trail" of Sonarworks and give these another listen. 
wink.gif

Going through my test tracks. More to come...

Edit...sound staging continues to impress me. Not the size of it but the separation and cohesion. In a word, believable with regard to staging. And lively, quick. This is not a slow sounding headphone. 

Dec 16, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #1,195 of 2,669
Continued....

Here are a few negatives (don't bring out the pitchforks please) 
evil_smiley.gif

*the earpads are not that good. The diameter of the hole is smallish and just barely works on my medium sized ears. I'm getting some light touching of my left ear.  I don't like the material used either. It almost appears to be felt of some sort which is itchy. I've read through this thread and I don't see that any of the after market pads have been a home run replacement either. 

*the cable is mediocre. For me, it's too long but others may like the length. Why put a 1/8 termination on a cable intended for desktop use? The adapter is included so thats good. Ideal for me would have been a balanced cable option. This headphone takes a good bit of power and a balanced cable would have gone a long way to add some real pop to this headphone which seems to respond to power. 

*the sound. So far I'm enjoying the signature. It's different from my usual hd650 which offers me some variety. I find that the r70x is more similar to the hd600 which I just never could get along with. At times that sound of the r70x can appear somewhat hollow. Like a cream filled doughnut where you take a bite but there is no cream. What I mean is that with some songs, the r70x is tonally correct and reproduces the music accurately but there just isn't much "weight" to the sound. Not always but sometimes. I really need more time to get my mind around the signature before fleshing out how I feel about the signature. For now I'll just say that I'm enjoying it out of the gate. 

*these headphones look and sound VERY open, which helps with sound staging. But oddly they don't seem to leak a ton of sound like my other open backs. This is good if you don't won't to disturb others with your music. 

Dec 17, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #1,196 of 2,669
Okay, so after another day with these I've decided that I enjoy them and will be keeping them. I'll address a few new issues and revisit a few old ones for a wrap up of sorts.

Build-some people have called out AT on the build quality for this headphone, but I'll call it better than average, somewhat rugged even. The metal headband and industrial grills inspire confidence. The plastics used are high grade and suggest good durability. The hinges are beefy and sturdy. So even though the r70x is in the "feather-light" category I find it's build quality to be quite good and detracts in no way from it's overall build quality. I'll give it 9/10.

Design-I'm not a real fan of the pads. I'll go on record to say that AT cheaped out on these to a degree. A plush velour memory foam pad would go a long way to make the r70x more comfortable. If AT could design such a pad and keep the sonics the same that would really raise the enjoyment factor for me. Despite this, for the record, the r70x is still the most comfortable headphone that I own. 

I'm also not a huge fan of the cable. It's also what I'd call a cheap solution. BUT it doesn't seem to hamper the performance. And I'll say it's a fitting choice given the price of the headphone. The locking clips make aftermarket cable options more difficult. Personally I wish that they hadn't opted for locking clips. The design of the cable is reminiscent of the hd600. 

The fitment system with the 3d wings works flawlessly for my medium sized head. This is my first experience with this type of design and I have to say that I love it. I have a few headphones that I'd like to transplant the transducers into this design for better comfort. 

I like the fact that this is a higher impedance headphone. It lends itself to better synergy with the amps that I own. I don't typically enjoy headphones that don't need an amp (I use iems for that), at least for full sized open back products. This headphone does not work well and achieve it's potential from a smart phone. If that's what you're looking for you'll need to look elsewhere.  But it performs nicely when you add something like a Dragonfly to your smart phone. 8/10

Sonics-I really like how the r70x sounds. Although it might be a departure from the super airy, female vocal oriented offering of the past from AT, it still borrows very much from that linage. The overall presentation still focuses on an airy refined presentation. Bass extension is there but has less impact than say 600/650 and certainly something like the Nighthawk. I'll call it a bit of an acquired taste but it's one that I enjoy very much. It offers a difference approach to other headphones that I own and complements them well. This makes it a keeper for me. 

Compared to hd6x0, the r70x does not have the same weight to the presentation especially in the bass. It has more air as well as more separation around voices and instruments. Some will prefer one over the other. I happen to like them both.  One characteristic of the sound of the r70x is speed/decay. The decay of the notes seems lightening quick. The effect is particularly apparent (and enjoyable) with stringed instruments in jazz and classical pieces. 

The r70x is overall fairly neutral. They aren't any significant peaks to speak of. Which is to say that it doesn't do much to offend the listener or get in the way of the recording. Non fatiguing, cohesive and approachable seem like good descriptors for the signature of the rx70. 9/10

Value-this may be the most interesting consideration. I picked the r70x for $225 with a $25 gift card on Newegg.com. I have no hesitation calling the r70x a class leader in the value category. If not for the recent Massdrop hd6xx offering, I would have a tough time conjuring another headphone that delivers this kind of overall package at it's price point. At the end of the day, I appreciate that I'm getting a quality product, with very good build quality and sophisticated sonics at a very accessible price point. 10/10

Job well done on the r70x!! 
beerchug.gif

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #1,198 of 2,669
Hi,

I have an Audio-technica ATH-m40x and I really like them, that's my first serious headphones I bought.
Now I wonder if it is worth to buy R70x, will there be significant improvement?

I know these are open-back and there is sound leakage, but that isn't and issue, I have a room to myself.
Will R70x be more comfortable? M40x are quite comfy to me, but after longer time ears are getting hot. I guess this will be better, because of an open-back there will be better ventilation?
Another thing, they are probably hard to drive with their impedance. I have Soundblaster E1. Is it any good or if I consider buying R70x I should also think about some headphones amp?

Cheers from Poland, that's my first post here :).

Dec 20, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #1,200 of 2,669
Does anybody here have experience with the Neve Design RNHP headphone amplifier?
Generally and with the ATH-R70x?

How does it compare with other amps like the 
  1. Chord Mojo
  2. Schiit Jotunheim
  3. Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon

Thanks everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back