Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Jul 5, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #1,276 of 2,669
Can anyone recommend a balance cable for the R70x? I see from an earlier post that Surf sells that. Any others I can consider? I plan to connect the cans to the Jotunheim's balance output.

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #1,280 of 2,669
I've heard it too. If you're sensitive to high end that will be odd since otherwise, it seems to be a more darkly voiced pair. It may improve with burn in a bit, but I find if there is a very noticeable problem area in any set of cans, a burn in will improve it, but never really change it, unless you get used to it.

Aug 25, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #1,281 of 2,669
Finally, I have just bought r70x. They sound very neutral and musical! I'm very happy with them!

Now I'm looking for another pair of pads and it seems that many members use Brainwavz HM5 for it. But here in Vietnam, it's really hard to buy HM5 pads @ reasonable price on Amazon. So I'm looking at these ones:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pair-Repl...hash=item569eba30b9:m:mbIzQ50doa4qIMe53tiI-PA

or

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Rep...lgo_pvid=3de399e0-1a26-4ad4-b452-3a164a6f1806

Anyone tried it? Are they fit and comfortable? I'm going to buy the "Normal Ear Pads (Lint)".

And do HM5 change the sound much? I like how the stock pad sound (full/thick and pleasant).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #1,282 of 2,669
Finally, I have just bought r70x. They sound very neutral and musical! I'm very happy with them!

Now I'm looking for another pair of pads and it seems that many members use Brainwavz HM5 for it. But here in Vietnam, it's really hard to buy HM5 pads @ reasonable price on Amazon. So I'm looking at these ones:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pair-Repl...hash=item569eba30b9:m:mbIzQ50doa4qIMe53tiI-PA

or

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Rep...lgo_pvid=3de399e0-1a26-4ad4-b452-3a164a6f1806

Anyone tried it? Are they fit and comfortable? I'm going to buy the "Normal Ear Pads (Lint)".

And do HM5 change the sound much? I like how the stock pad sound (full/thick and pleasant).

Thanks!

Wait, were the pair you bought have an extra silver cable to it? Lol, I was just gathering money for that pair and when I finally have enough money it has already been sold. Anyway, guess you know who to contact when you finally get bored of the r70x, eh? :D
For pads and stuff, I recommend you to check this one too:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071X2K9Y...c=1&coliid=I3HYJWDVMI6ORC&colid=1UL2BBD8Y4EZF

A lot more reasonably priced compare to brainwavz, if I have to say so myself, although dealing with amazon in Vietnam is a real hassle.

Aug 25, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #1,283 of 2,669
Wait, were the pair you bought have an extra silver cable to it? Lol, I was just gathering money for that pair and when I finally have enough money it has already been sold. Anyway, guess you know who to contact when you finally get bored of the r70x, eh? :D
For pads and stuff, I recommend you to check this one too:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071X2K9Y...c=1&coliid=I3HYJWDVMI6ORC&colid=1UL2BBD8Y4EZF

A lot more reasonably priced compare to brainwavz, if I have to say so myself, although dealing with amazon in Vietnam is a real hassle.

Yeah! That's it! I had to borrow some money to have it :D. The silver cable is from Lunashop and one side cannot be used until I re-solder it :D. There's another pair is on-sale @4tr VND. If you want you can PM me for the link :D.

The link on Ebay and Aliexpress are not Brainwavz at all and they're just at $15-17 with Free international shipping :p

About the pair, I'm using it for mixing purpose. With Sonarworks HP Calibration, it's just right for my taste and it sounds really like my JBL LSR 305. So I think that I'll keep it until they're gone :p. Haha

Nice to see you here, bro!

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #1,284 of 2,669
The Brainwavz type pads improve soundstage a bit, treble is similar, but there is a touch less sub bass. Still fun sounding there though. If I were you I'd go for the Ali Express pads. The black pleather ones. The velour pads might make them lose too much bass, while the pleather very little would lost, and they are easier to clean and to keep clean.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #1,285 of 2,669
Soulmate.JPG

R70X with Solo SRGII amp, tube-y sounding solid state headphone amp! :D

Can't believe this combo sound that good. Soundstage is improved a bit (My DAC's soundstage is not wide, but excels in depth). Punchy midbass, meaty midrange, but not too forward, and smooth from upper midrange to treble. Superb transient (not too fast nor too slow) and articulation. Definitely no fatigue at all, as long as you can control your DAC's volume so that you can crank the volume in this amp between 12 o'clock and 4 o'clock when using R70X (you can visit Mr. Slee's website to learn about how this amp works in regards to impedance sensing, it's quite interesting).

My advice is, despite it's bland looks, and, to be brutally honest, quite DIY-ish build, if you can auditioned them (especially if you're looking for tubey sounding amp for your R70X), do it! :D

Sep 4, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #1,286 of 2,669
Mhm...for anyone who thinks that the bass of r70x is slow with too much mid bass, do try adding dynamat to the back of the driver, it will help speed up the bass considerably without sacrificing the punchy-ness and the sub-bass as long as you don't overdo it. It does make the phone a little bit heavier, but...well, not by much, really. It is still featherweight to me.
Still, if anyone is interested, I would try to make a tutorial on how to mod the r70x because I personally think r70x benefits greatly from modding and is surprisingly easy to mod to boost. Other than the in-ya-face soundstage (which I hope I can fix with pad swap and angling the drivers a little bit more), almost all of the problem of the r70x ('grainy' treble, mushy bass, lack of mid clarity, etc...)can be fixed with 10$ worth of dynamats/blutacks and acoustic foam.

Sep 4, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #1,287 of 2,669
Mhm...for anyone who thinks that the bass of r70x is slow with too much mid bass, do try adding dynamat to the back of the driver, it will help speed up the bass considerably without sacrificing the punchy-ness and the sub-bass as long as you don't overdo it. It does make the phone a little bit heavier, but...well, not by much, really. It is still featherweight to me.
Still, if anyone is interested, I would try to make a tutorial on how to mod the r70x because I personally think r70x benefits greatly from modding and is surprisingly easy to mod to boost. Other than the in-ya-face soundstage (which I hope I can fix with pad swap and angling the drivers a little bit more), almost all of the problem of the r70x ('grainy' treble, mushy bass, lack of mid clarity, etc...)can be fixed with 10$ worth of dynamats/blutacks and acoustic foam.
Can you send me a link please to where I can buy cheap acoustic foam, that tames the grainy uppermids of the R70x?

Sep 6, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #1,288 of 2,669
Or drive it with a iDSD BL. The XBass Plus adds some serious bass oomph. Oodles of sub sonic rumble yet bass lines stay textured and not bloated.

Sep 25, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #1,289 of 2,669

I love my R70x but I'd welcome your mod guide.

Oct 15, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #1,290 of 2,669
Guys am considering these headphones, but getting mix reviews in regards to the sound stage. Some people say its pretty wide and others say it has almost none....so what is it?

How does sound stage compare to AD700/900, AD1000/2000X, AKG K702, K712, DT990, Fidelio X2 etc?

As I want these for primarily music and some gaming.

Struggling to decide between this and the AD1000X (can get it the same price).

I am upgrading from an ATH-AD700 (original non-X version).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back