Apr 7, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #1,310 of 2,666
how do these headphones compare:
ATH-A1000Z
ATH-R70x
ATH-A2000Z
ATH-W1000Z

and which one is the best?

and btw can the V20 power the R70x?
I own the R70x, A1000Z and A2000Z. I have also listened to the W1000Z, which I didn't like much, too polite and soft sounding.

The R70x are really great, the are very well balanced and make everything sound natural and effortless, they just sound "right". I can really relax and enjoy the music with these.
The A1000Z give you detail and clarity, they have a somewhat bright sound signature.
The A2000Z are something else, they are super detailed and clear as crystal. They also have a good sized soundstage for a closed can, but what I'm most impressed with is their imaging. They have a remarkable ability to place sounds all around you, that I haven't really experienced with other headphones.

Which one is the best? You would have to give them a listen to decide for yourself.

Apr 7, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #1,311 of 2,666
For the money, I haven't run across any headphone I like more than the R70X, and I like them more than some headphones costing over $1K. I find the LCD2 to be superior across the board, but they also cost a lot more (and are immensely heavier!), and of course are a different type of driver. The R70X does require some amp power, but the Chord Mojo can handle them.

Apr 8, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #1,312 of 2,666
I own the R70x, A1000Z and A2000Z. I have also listened to the W1000Z, which I didn't like much, too polite and soft sounding.

The R70x are really great, the are very well balanced and make everything sound natural and effortless, they just sound "right". I can really relax and enjoy the music with these.
The A1000Z give you detail and clarity, they have a somewhat bright sound signature.
The A2000Z are something else, they are super detailed and clear as crystal. They also have a good sized soundstage for a closed can, but what I'm most impressed with is their imaging. They have a remarkable ability to place sounds all around you, that I haven't really experienced with other headphones.

Which one is the best? You would have to give them a listen to decide for yourself.

thanks for crossing the W1000Z and A1000Z off my list

but between these what do YOU prefer:

ATH-A2000Z vs R70x

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #1,313 of 2,666
thanks for crossing the W1000Z and A1000Z off my list

but between these what do YOU prefer:

ATH-A2000Z vs R70x

It would have to be between the R70x and A2000Z.

The R70x are more of a general use set of headphones. They just make it so easy to listen to music.
I remember when I first got them, I was constantly going "Oh, so this is how it's supposed to sound!" when I was listening through my music collection all over again.
They nail the tonality part, everything sounds very natural. Bass is pleasant and punchy, mids are full, treble has good extension without ever being fatiguing.

The A2000Z are more of an aquired taste I guess, but they will make your music sound threedimensional in a way that is very addicting.

If open/closed matter, then it's easier to pick one or the other.

If you want to relax into your music then go for the R70x. If you want to analyze every little detail while going for a spatial ride through the track then A2000Z it is.

If you are not sure about what of the above is most important to you I'd say that you can't go wrong with the R70x.

Apr 8, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #1,314 of 2,666

The R70x are more of a general use set of headphones. They just make it so easy to listen to music.
I remember when I first got them, I was constantly going "Oh, so this is how it's supposed to sound!" when I was listening through my music collection all over again.
They nail the tonality part, everything sounds very natural. Bass is pleasant and punchy, mids are full, treble has good extension without ever being fatiguing.

The A2000Z are more of an aquired taste I guess, but they will make your music sound threedimensional in a way that is very addicting.

If you want to relax into your music then go for the R70x. If you want to analyze every little detail while going for a spatial ride through the track then A2000Z it is.

If you are not sure about what of the above is most important to you I'd say that you can't go wrong with the R70x.
I would've kept the R70x I had last year, if their upper end didn't have this edgy sound to it..

Apr 9, 2018 at 3:45 AM Post #1,315 of 2,666
I would've kept the R70x I had last year, if their upper end didn't have this edgy sound to it..
I owned the R70x three times (I know...) and it never striked me as edgy in the top. I drove it mostly with the Chord Hugo. Sure there is sibilance in certain songs buy I find it to be quite similar to the HD600 and HD650

Apr 9, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #1,316 of 2,666
so t

so the a2000z artificially improves the sound?

Apr 9, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #1,317 of 2,666
I owned the R70x three times (I know...) and it never striked me as edgy in the top. I drove it mostly with the Chord Hugo. Sure there is sibilance in certain songs buy I find it to be quite similar to the HD600 and HD650
I would say more like grain; a lack of refinement somewhere in the uppermids.

The HD 650, or Beyerdynamic DT 250 and DT 150, for example, are clean of that.

Apr 9, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #1,319 of 2,666
so t
so the a2000z artificially improves the sound?
That's not really true I think. Sure they differ in tonality. The R70x are more neutral than the A1000Z and A2000Z, but because of that they also are not as detailed as the A1000Z or the A2000Z.

The R70x present the sound more like a flat wall, there's not much depth to the music. The A1000Z have almost the same size soundstage as the A2000Z, it's just a little bit smaller. But the A2000Z are much better at placing and moving the sounds around in the soundstage.
The A2000Z are better at resolving and presenting the spatial information in the track than both the R70x and A1000Z.

Apr 9, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #1,320 of 2,666
Why would you spend more money on the DAC than the headphones?
Well I got the Hugo for around $1000 used and only for a few months. None of my headphones ever cost half as much, but that way I can own a lot of sound signatures at any given time - which I much prefer, rather than trying to own one or two TOTL pairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back