Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Mar 12, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #1,246 of 2,666
I'm using the Schitt Asgard 2 (got it quite a while ago), pretty good pairing in my experience, although as usual pairings are subjective. Power-wise, I looked up your 3 considerations and their output power into 600 ohms are: 35mW for the mojo, 140mW for the element and 130mW for the magni 2 (160mW for the magni 2 uber). For reference, the asgard 2 I'm using has 190mW into 600 ohms. So as far as driving the r70x goes, I'd lean towards the magni/element as they should have more headroom in terms of power. That said, I have auditioned the Mojo with relatively high impedance cans (~300 ohms was the highest iirc) and it seemed to be relatively able to drive them. Overall your best bet is probably to audition the three amps and see which one you like the pairing of most. But if you have to make a blind choice, I'd go with the magni/element.

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #1,247 of 2,666
I'm using the Schitt Asgard 2 (got it quite a while ago), pretty good pairing in my experience, although as usual pairings are subjective. Power-wise, I looked up your 3 considerations and their output power into 600 ohms are: 35mW for the mojo, 140mW for the element and 130mW for the magni 2 (160mW for the magni 2 uber). For reference, the asgard 2 I'm using has 190mW into 600 ohms. So as far as driving the r70x goes, I'd lean towards the magni/element as they should have more headroom in terms of power. That said, I have auditioned the Mojo with relatively high impedance cans (~300 ohms was the highest iirc) and it seemed to be relatively able to drive them. Overall your best bet is probably to audition the three amps and see which one you like the pairing of most. But if you have to make a blind choice, I'd go with the magni/element.

I see. I was considering the mojo as it has the added benefit of being portable so I COULD take it with me to the school library for use with my iems. But of course, if it doesn't have enough power for the r70x I'll look the the m+m or the element, since my dap drives my ciems just fine. Between the magni/element, which would be a cleaner amp?

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #1,248 of 2,666
Please keep in mind the required current - only 0.08mW are needed to play at 90dB, which to my ears would be very loud. I quite enjoyed listening to the Mojo, when I was able to borrow a pair of ATH-R70x. I found the balanced sound of the source mated well with the slightly warm sound of the headphone.

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #1,249 of 2,666
Please keep in mind the required current - only 0.08mW are needed to play at 90dB, which to my ears would be very loud. I quite enjoyed listening to the Mojo, when I was able to borrow a pair of ATH-R70x. I found the balanced sound of the source mated well with the slightly warm sound of the headphone.

I know this might be a really weird question but how then, do you determine if your headphones are sufficiently 'fed' from the source, apart from using instruments to measure the current (which I am obviously unable to do)?

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #1,250 of 2,666
I think if the portability of the Mojo would be a plus point/feature for you, that should put it above the other two amps (all else being equal). It would definitely be able to drive the r70x to high listening volumes. Regarding your later question about determining headphone audio levels, you would have to know the electrical characteristics of the drivers to be able to try to know how they respond beforehand. Which, yes is not really doable without instruments and testing. There are sites out there where people with testing equipment do this testing and upload their results though, for example innerfidelity.com is one of them (this is a chart for the r70x specifically where you can see the quoted 0.8mW : 90dB figure). 

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #1,251 of 2,666
I think if the portability of the Mojo would be a plus point/feature for you, that should put it above the other two amps (all else being equal). It would definitely be able to drive the r70x to high listening volumes. Regarding your later question about determining headphone audio levels, you would have to know the electrical characteristics of the drivers to be able to try to know how they respond beforehand. Which, yes is not really doable without instruments and testing. There are sites out there where people with testing equipment do this testing and upload their results though, for example innerfidelity.com is one of them (this is a chart for the r70x specifically where you can see the quoted 0.8mW : 90dB figure). 

Maybe not so much a plus point, but a bonus. However, my priority would be to feed the r70x, and if the mojo can't do that well enough (can't quite hear properly over the noise at canjam, will have to try it out at a shop), then it's pretty much pointless for me. I'm no expert in physics/reading graphs, but if 0.8 mW is required to drive it to 90db, why would you require an amp with up to 130 mW? Sorry if the question sounds kinda dumb

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #1,252 of 2,666
Don't worry about the 470 Ohm figure, epilogue, these really aren't that hard to drive. I'm using the low gain setting on my Fiio A3 and am getting more than enough volume while inputing line level signal into the amp. (am kind of thinking they sound better on the high gain setting though)

And oh boy, I've been using these headphones since yesterday and they're great. They're certainly studio cans, but they're actually quite fun and they're super comfy and sound niiiiiiiice.

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #1,255 of 2,666
Just wanted to warn you guys that you can get crosstalk issues if you don't twist-clockwise-to-lock the cables into the earcups. It's a bit funny, getting crosstalk with headphones with split cables, I'm not sure I'm a fan of the any-wire-any-cup system. Zero crosstalk if the cables are properly plugged in though.

Mar 21, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #1,256 of 2,666
This is probably gonna sound like blasphemy, but I just got a mbp 2016 and the headphone out actually drives the r70x pretty respectably im amazed.

What does "outdrives" mean? They are 470 ohm, if you are using a portable amp (like in your profile) of course the mentioned will be louder and have better dynamic range(if that is what outdrives is) then the r70x.

Mar 21, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #1,257 of 2,666
My R70x finally came, I came from the HD700, even tho i using an ZXR to drive them for now, I already liking them more then the HD700 I had, Now all that left is to get me an Schiit jot in the future and an balanced cable, and i be all set. I also didnt expect the headphones to be much more smaller and lighter then the HD700. I open the box to excepting to see and nice size headphone only to see an smaller one. Now I gotta fiqure which gain setting to use on my ZXR, since Low gain is 32/300 ohm and high gain is 600 ohms. The earpads are doing ok so far but later on I do have plans to swap them for an pair of thicker ones.

Mar 21, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #1,260 of 2,666
My R70x finally came, I came from the HD700, even tho i using an ZXR to drive them for now, I already liking them more then the HD700 I had, Now all that left is to get me an Schiit jot in the future and an balanced cable, and i be all set. I also didnt expect the headphones to be much more smaller and lighter then the HD700. I open the box to excepting to see and nice size headphone only to see an smaller one. Now I gotta fiqure which gain setting to use on my ZXR, since Low gain is 32/300 ohm and high gain is 600 ohms. The earpads are doing ok so far but later on I do have plans to swap them for an pair of thicker ones.

I use the brainwavz hybrid pads, no real change in sound and significant change in comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back