Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 review - Take two subwoofers...straight to the head.
Oct 7, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #706 of 906
Quote:

M50 has better bass than the PRO700MK2? That's a first.

The latter is a can bred purely for producing very good bass. The M50 is a generally good can with somewhat decent bass extension and quality. There is no way any basshead would choose the M50 over the PRO700MK2.. but then again, I'm speculating. :/

He's right, to an extent. Here's the basic runthrough of these headphones, bass-wise:

bass (stock)
m50>pros

bass (m50/dt250 pads)
m50=pros

bass (m50/dt250 pads w/ cotton, toilet paper, or whatever)
pros>m50

bass (mine)
pros>>m50

bass quality
pros>m50

Oct 8, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #707 of 906
Even at stock the MK2's produce way more bass.  I did a test with 4 friends on this subject just last week.  The only way I could ever see someone coming up with the idea that it is true is if they did not account for volume difference from the higher-impedance MK2's when playing from the same source.

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #708 of 906
Quote:
He's right, to an extent. Here's the basic runthrough of these headphones, bass-wise:

bass (stock)
m50>pros

bass (m50/dt250 pads)
m50=pros

bass (m50/dt250 pads w/ cotton, toilet paper, or whatever)
pros>m50

bass (mine)
pros>>m50

bass quality
pros>m50

At stock, the PRO700MK2s blow the M50s out of the water. Amping both cans will only serve to widen the gulf. Like MadDawg said, there's really no way anybody's going to think the M50s have more bass quantity than the PRO700MK2s.

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #709 of 906
Actually I have multiple people complaining to me that the Pro700s were lacking in bass. So much so that it was no longer an isolated opinion. Weird...

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #710 of 906
Quote:
Actually I have multiple people complaining to me that the Pro700s were lacking in bass. So much so that it was no longer an isolated opinion. Weird...

The PRO700MK2 has a much less pronounced mid-bass hump than some masters of that realm, but its still an extremely punchy, well detailed can. Its quantity is certainly not lacking. It's definitely one of the cans that sound a whole lot better amped, and boy, it can take a lot of amping. :)

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #711 of 906
At stock, the PRO700MK2s blow the M50s out of the water. Amping both cans will only serve to widen the gulf. Like MadDawg said, there's really no way anybody's going to think the M50s have more bass quantity than the PRO700MK2s.

Well, it seems we have a problem on our hands Malvolent :D When I first bought the pros back sometime in February, I compared them to my M50s right away, and the m50s had noticeably more bass. I do have the bassier 1st gen/ blue box M50s, so that may be why mine equal the pros with m50/dt250 pads installed. Plus, they have DT250 earpads on them, but the bass quantity difference between the stock earpads and the DT250 isn't much. I would say a ~3% gain.

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #712 of 906
Hey Guys, 
Please check out my unboxing of the PRO700MKIIs and PRO700MK2ANV's :D

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #713 of 906
You have exactly the same comment as Headphone Review HQ, Hifiguy528 and the other guy who compared Pro700Mk2 to M50 in YouTube. They all said overall M50 is the best deal over Pro700Mk2 especially out of the box in terms of bass or even overall audio quality. I forgot who told me he said that to get the best bass out of Pro700Mk2 an amplifier is needed but I'm not an amplifier guy for now. I am still open to Pioneer HDJ 1500 because it belongs to the maximum limit of my budget and I like its serious DJ audio signature but I still need multiple reviews to read or see. If budget is not constricted, Pro700Mk2 would be nice. Also I am sure that the next version of Pioneer HDJ 2000 would be( a very strong possibility since HDJ 1500 is already out) nice preferably with a 2.5 or 3.5 headphone input.

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #714 of 906
Quote:
Well, it seems we have a problem on our hands Malvolent
biggrin.gif
When I first bought the pros back sometime in February, I compared them to my M50s right away, and the m50s had noticeably more bass. I do have the bassier 1st gen/ blue box M50s, so that may be why mine equal the pros with m50/dt250 pads installed. Plus, they have DT250 earpads on them, but the bass quantity difference between the stock earpads and the DT250 isn't much. I would say a ~3% gain.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's due to your M50s being of the earlier, bassier batch. My M50 (white box) is quite bass anemic, quantity-wise. The detail is there, but coming from someone who is used to huge bass, it just seems lacking. The PRO700MK2 wasn't very bassy out of the box, either, but I have come to appreciate is ability to increase the bass levels without hint of distortion. Somehow, I wish I could get my hands on a bass-heavy M50. It seems to be quite a good basshead can.

Quote:
You have exactly the same comment as Headphone Review HQ, Hifiguy528 and the other guy who compared Pro700Mk2 to M50 in YouTube. They all said overall M50 is the best deal over Pro700Mk2 especially out of the box in terms of bass or even overall audio quality. I forgot who told me he said that to get the best bass out of Pro700Mk2 an amplifier is needed but I'm not an amplifier guy for now. I am still open to Pioneer HDJ 1500 because it belongs to the maximum limit of my budget and I like its serious DJ audio signature but I still need multiple reviews to read or see. If budget is not constricted, Pro700Mk2 would be nice. Also I am sure that the next version of Pioneer HDJ 2000 would be( a very strong possibility since HDJ 1500 is already out) nice preferably with a 2.5 or 3.5 headphone input.

Well, the HDJ-1000 lasted quite a while, so I'm pretty sure the 2000 will stick around for some time still. The latter are a slick can that is very good at handling a bass heavy track. In fact, I quite love my Pioneer headphones for their club-friendly sound.

Oct 21, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #717 of 906
So. What is the general consensus for best ear pads for the Pro700MK2?

Also I will say this: The are possibly one of the most dynamic headphones I've ever heard. That being said, what I mean is, these cans get immensely better when you burn them in. Don't let first impressions fool you like they fooled me. I swear out of all the burn in headphones there are these must be way up on that list. When I first got them a week or so ago the bass was marginal, flat, poopy, unexciting if you will. NOW! I've put in about a good 150 hours of listening to them on all kinds of music and the bass really does punch you in the ear drum. I'm sure with newer/better pads it will sound better but give them some time to burn in. I'd say probably even 300 hours worth of listening and that bass will drop your pants.

I still wouldn't yet say these are two subwoofers, not at least until I switch these pads out and burn them in more, but they are very bass head friendly.

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #718 of 906
As I've said in another thread, I liked the PRO700mk2 at first, but after almost a year I got bored with them and gave them away. I kinda cringe when I see it recomended here. The Pioneer HDJ2000 sounds better if you want detail and bass, but it's more expensive because of it's features and metal body. The HDJ1500 is good also for a similar price the PRO700Mk2, but it should have come with the earpads on the HDJ2000. The earpads on the HDJ1500 cause it to lose bass with a poor seal.

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #719 of 906
Quote:
As I've said in another thread, I liked the PRO700mk2 at first, but after almost a year I got bored with them and gave them away. I kinda cringe when I see it recomended here. The Pioneer HDJ2000 sounds better if you want detail and bass, but it's more expensive because of it's features and metal body. The HDJ1500 is good also for a similar price the PRO700Mk2, but it should have come with the earpads on the HDJ2000. The earpads on the HDJ1500 cause it to lose bass with a poor seal.

I agree that the HDJ-2000 is a better can for detail and clarity. It has a nice top end sparkle that is severely missing from the PRO700MK2. Still, by amping both, I feel the latter are a better basshead can for sheer quantity and impact. The Pioneers retain good quality throughout, but I get a better bass experience with the AT cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back