Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 review - Take two subwoofers...straight to the head.
Sep 6, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #691 of 906
Did you by any chance use it to tame the bass or bring out the treble some at times?  I am a basshead also but sometimes I like to adjust these cans and see just how much they can change.  Do you feel like it has an increased soundstage on these headphones at all?

Sep 6, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #692 of 906
Quote:
Did you by any chance use it to tame the bass or bring out the treble some at times?  I am a basshead also but sometimes I like to adjust these cans and see just how much they can change.  Do you feel like it has an increased soundstage on these headphones at all?

No. Why would I need to tame the bass on a basshead headphone? Let the beast run wild! I never really found the treble control useful for me since all of the more complicated DSP settings are being run on foobar, but the controls on the E17 are great. I just used it to turn up the bass. If you last sentence was referring to whether the E17 gave the headphones an increased soundstage, that would be no. That's more dependent on the headphone itself than the source amplifying it.

I know that something like onboard audio vs. E17 is a night and day difference since the audio is much louder and doesn't distort at lower volume levels. The audio quality is basically the same between the two. I listened to both of them at the same volume level, and there was no discernible difference between the two sources. The higher volume levels, the E17 has a clear advantage because the onboard sound simply won't drive the headphones properly to those levels. Since there is more power going to the headphones with the E17, it brings out more potential. Simply put, E17 vs. onboard sound: louder, more control, less distortion, and more headroom for eq'ing the bass up. 

Sep 6, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #693 of 906
Quote:

lol i just realized i wrote you a novel in the pm i sent you and didnt even bother to answer your first question about adjusting for treble for rock

my advice is to forget the e17 and get a digizoid zo2, you can decrease the bass to whatever level you want and on the lowest contours (green and begining of yellow) treble increases, lol it wont turn them to grados but it will make them sound better with rock, alot better than i've managed to make them sound using software eq's anyway (buy from amazon, if you dont like the zo2, send it back for a e17)

Sep 10, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #694 of 906
Well I went against your advice and bought the e17 anyways heh... I decided that it being a DAC will be useful enough for me to justify the extra cost since I mostly listen at work off a crappy soundcard.  On a good note, it came with free overnight shipping and some Brainwavz Beta IEMs added in as well.  Can't beat freebies, and I hear they are pretty decent IEMs also.  Likely far better than the JVC's I take to the gym normally.  At the very least they come with Comply earpads and I am looking forward to trying those.  The package should be on my door when I get off work tomorrow evening so look for me to chime back in with an update sometime later this week.

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #695 of 906
Quote:

lol i just realized i wrote you a novel in the pm i sent you and didnt even bother to answer your first question about adjusting for treble for rock

my advice is to forget the e17 and get a digizoid zo2, you can decrease the bass to whatever level you want and on the lowest contours (green and begining of yellow) treble increases, lol it wont turn them to grados but it will make them sound better with rock, alot better than i've managed to make them sound using software eq's anyway (buy from amazon, if you dont like the zo2, send it back for a e17)

Agreed, I love the ZO2 to death, but keep in mind that it smooths out everything, doesn't clean up the sound. 

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #696 of 906
*Haven't read the past ~50 posts on this threead*

My story:

Got the ANVs, dropped a good 80hrs on em. My nephew (bless the little bugger) got me a Topping D2 (he heard me talking about dacs and amps so he went for the best he could find on eBay) - it's not that bad, actually. Not so good with my SR80is, but that's beside the point. 

Figured I'd see how the Topping went. Initially I was extremely disappointed. However, I've gotten used to the sound and I think the bass (although not as abundant) is tighter, crisper, and "punchier". I reckon it makes for a good listening experience. In comparison, my laptop's soundcard does this:

DOOF DOOF DOOF DOOF DOOF

I got the E17 the other day. It is similar to the D2 (in terms of DAC). Cleaner and punchier. It sounds like the bass is FASTER - if that makes sense. 

Anyway, this post probably won't make much sense - it was my 21st yesterday (still going) so I'm a tad on the, er.... you know.

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #697 of 906
Just chiming in to say that I am 100% satisfied with the e17 purchase.  The e6 was given away already, it felt like an old childhood toy that had no sentimental value that was forgotten about in an old drawer.  I could not be happier.  Not just because of the amp, but the dac functionality makes a world of a difference at work.  The MK2's are so versatile, I can not believe how well they can handle EQ'ing.  Massive Attack's Angel can literally make these cans shake around on my head.  The gel in these earpads jiggles...  Then at the same time, I can bump the bass back to -2, treble to +2 and listen to something like Dark Side of the Moon and feel completely satisfied with how fell it compares to my SR80i's.  Now in no means is it superior to them for rock music, but I simply can not wear the Grados at work with my glasses on, the comfort level is just not there.

Sep 24, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #698 of 906
I updated my eq settings for these headphones. My previous settings were way too forward, the midbass was overemphasized, and it sounded fake. These settings fix those problems, and it compliments the bassy sound signature very well. The sub bass sounds cleaner and deeper, the mid bass isn't bloated, and it allows the sub bass to extend further than my previous setup. Not to mention that the bass will start to distort at higher dB levels than my previous setup because I lowered the bass ranges that tend to distort before the other ones. The midrange and treble sounds more relaxed and natureal. Keep in mind that I have my receiver's treble adjustment at -4dB (the bass is at +10dB), so if anyone is interested, you may have to make some adjustments. 

As you see, I wasn't trying to be too intricate with my settings. I wanted to keep it simple and easy to modify if I ever found a particular frequency range too loud or quiet. 

Foobar2k w/ Graphic Equalizer component, and noise sharpening component at 200%.

Oct 2, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #700 of 906
I had a brief moment with the HDJ 1500 and I prefer the PRO700MK2.  However I liked the HDJ 2000 better than the PRO700MK2 in sound and comfort, except the strange almost conehead shaped headband.

On a side note, I don't use my PRO700MK2's much anymore until I get some new earpads.  I had my friend measure his HDJ 2000 earpads for me, and they shoulld fit the MK2.  The earpads use a really nice comfortable memory foam and isolate very well.  They are kinda expensive though?

Oct 2, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #701 of 906
Quote:
Does anyone knows how this perform against to ATH- Pro500Mk2 or Pioneer HDJ 1500?

I've only auditioned the PRO500MK2 a few times, but it sounds quite similar to the PRO700MK2. Both are dark cans, bassy with very good punch, and are well suited to EQ-ing to bring up the bass quantity.

The PRO500MK2 are more comfortable than its bigger brother, though. The clamp isn't as strong, and therefore, you don't feel like you're listening with a vice on your head. :D

Oct 2, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #702 of 906
I've only auditioned the PRO500MK2 a few times, but it sounds quite similar to the PRO700MK2. Both are dark cans, bassy with very good punch, and are well suited to EQ-ing to bring up the bass quantity.

The PRO500MK2 are more comfortable than its bigger brother, though. The clamp isn't as strong, and therefore, you don't feel like you're listening with a vice on your head. :D

The 500's are less colored. I would say there is certainly less impact.

People harp too much about the clamp. The clamp is necessary for the bass to really work it's magic. That... And it eases up after awhile.

Oct 3, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #703 of 906
Quote:
The 500's are less colored. I would say there is certainly less impact.
People harp too much about the clamp. The clamp is necessary for the bass to really work it's magic. That... And it eases up after awhile.

I can only manage 1+ hour of use on my PRO700MK2s before a slight ear massage is necessary. The pads aren't very conducive for long-term listening too, especially considering its small circumaural size.

Still, the good thing about the PRO700MK2 is its awesome basshead properties. This keeps me going back to it every time.

Btw, do you have the PRO500MK2s? I'm looking to pick one up. How would you compare the 2?

Oct 7, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #704 of 906
Thanks for the reply. After much though I've decided that from Pro500Mk2 and HDJ 1500 to Pro700Mk2 price range to audio quality ratio is too much for my budget and recent replies in YouTube would suggest that ATH M50 has better overall base than the Pro700Mk2 though very different audio signature. I'm disappoint that the price jump of Pioneer HDJ 1000 to 1500 is so massive about 30% more to be exact but justifiable but still big jump.

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #705 of 906
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. After much though I've decided that from Pro500Mk2 and HDJ 1500 to Pro700Mk2 price range to audio quality ratio is too much for my budget and recent replies in YouTube would suggest that ATH M50 has better overall base than the Pro700Mk2 though very different audio signature. I'm disappoint that the price jump of Pioneer HDJ 1000 to 1500 is so massive about 30% more to be exact but justifiable but still big jump.

M50 has better bass than the PRO700MK2? That's a first.

The latter is a can bred purely for producing very good bass. The M50 is a generally good can with somewhat decent bass extension and quality. There is no way any basshead would choose the M50 over the PRO700MK2.. but then again, I'm speculating. :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back