Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 review - Take two subwoofers...straight to the head.
Jun 4, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #601 of 906
Quote:

They are the same headphones so pick whichever u find easier. Well they pack a WALL of bass with big punch, possibly ever so slightly more than XB500 or roughly the same in stock form even, yea I had to use ZO2.1 at the lowest contour level with these monsters. They are also a bit on the smoother, muffled side but to much less extent than M5X, difficult to say as far as comparing them vs XB500. I haven't given them enough headtime with stock-form as I started modding them almost instantly. I got tired of them though and just moved back to M-Audio Q40 which just sounds spot on for me though with my setup but yea I enjoyed listening Eurovision Song Contest with them from my TV. If you just could remove the slight excessive "veil-of-mud" over the mid/highrange I'd love these headphones, I can improve them greatly by modding but it doesn't quite get there where I want it that Q40 are.

Quote:
I agree with RPGWiz the mids and highs are recessed with the JVC headphones. That is something I noticed the first time I listened to them and even after burn in you can tell. If they are the only headphones you listen to you could get use to them I guess like any headphones but when I compare them to others like the mk2s and the XB500s the mids and highs are not amazing. For the price if you can get them for around $40 which is what I paid they are not bad as you can EQ them but you will probably need to put some extra stuffing under the lip of the pads. I am glad I bought them and they seem pretty well built. For specific types of music where the highs are not as important I would say they are a good budget headphone. 

Gee, the JVC headphones sound really terrible then, don't they? I just want another bass heavy can for kicks, and the HAM5X are pretty much good for the price you pay. Still, the cost of shipping them over is pretty much what's holding me back.

Quote:
Mine finally arrived this morning and I've spent the past few hours listening. No comfort issues after 3 hours so that's a plus. One thing I don't like too much is the fact that they rest on parts of my ears (rather than surround completely). To fix this I'm going to get some new pads. Don't worry I won't ask which ones to get - that's what the search function ^^^ is for 
L3000.gif

Still can't believe I got them for only $179!

If you haven't already found the answer, get the M50 pads. They really make a difference to the sound. Of course, other modders have also fixed the PRO700MK2s with other types of pads... Talk about huge agreement on the (poor) choice of cups for the MK2s. :)

Jun 4, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #602 of 906
listening to my M50 + Z02.3 reminds me that I like full-sized because the cranium shaking bass :/, I feel like I can always go with IEM's for accuracy ^^. So.... anyone in Australia wanna buy me a pair of Pro700MKIIANV from the dj place then send em to the US? I'll pay a nice commision. 

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #604 of 906
Quote:
which is better for metal and dubstep? this or the M50?

Having both the Pros and the M50s, I'll say that the pros are the better choice, but you HAVE to put on better earpads (I recommend the DT250 w/ cotton underneath).

Without being too technical, the m50s sound weak compared to the pros. These headphones were a little tricky to compare because they both have the same AT sound signature. I will say that the M50s' recessed mids help emphasize the treble, making one think that they are brighter than the pros, but that isn't the case. To my ears, both of them have just about the same amount of treble, but the pros have much more bass and the midrange sounds fuller, giving the sound more body than the m50s.

Yes, my headphones are modded, but I still have a strong memory of how they sounded with the DT250 pads and cotton.

Jun 5, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #605 of 906
Quote:

Having both the Pros and the M50s, I'll say that the pros are the better choice, but you HAVE to put on better earpads (I recommend the DT250 w/ cotton underneath).

Without being too technical, the m50s sound weak compared to the pros. These headphones were a little tricky to compare because they both have the same AT sound signature. I will say that the M50s' recessed mids help emphasize the treble, making one think that they are brighter than the pros, but that isn't the case. To my ears, both of them have just about the same amount of treble, but the pros have much more bass and the midrange sounds fuller, giving the sound more body than the m50s.

Yes, my headphones are modded, but I still have a strong memory of how they sounded with the DT250 pads and cotton.

thanks for your answer!!!

Jun 29, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #608 of 906
 I've had mine for a few weeks now and I've loved every minute of em. 

However, yesterday I took the pads off just to see how easy the 'replacement procedure' would be. Also I wanted to get a better look at the drivers.

Here's where I found something that I'm a bit worried about. Without applying much force on the metal grate which protects the driver I am able to make the whole unit move about 2mm. I was a bit shocked when I found this. I was expecting the drivers to be secure. 
I can't tell if it is only moving on a 2D plane or whether it moves in the vertical as well.

Is this normal? 

By the way, I have the ANV version. 

Jun 29, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #609 of 906
If you really moved the whole unit, then you should check the screws to see if they are tightened all the way (don't be like me and accidentally strip the plastic--it's easy). The drivers are secured by three screws behind it, but the metal covering the speaker is pretty flimsy. When I first got the regular pros, I was playing around with them and I accidentally pushed the metal grill in a little bit, but it didn't hurt the speaker, and it sounded the same. I can't, however, push in the whole driver unit.

Jun 30, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #610 of 906
Quote:
If you really moved the whole unit, then you should check the screws to see if they are tightened all the way (don't be like me and accidentally strip the plastic--it's easy). The drivers are secured by three screws behind it, but the metal covering the speaker is pretty flimsy. When I first got the regular pros, I was playing around with them and I accidentally pushed the metal grill in a little bit, but it didn't hurt the speaker, and it sounded the same. I can't, however, push in the whole driver unit.

I got at it with my trusty screwdriver to see what I was actually moving. I was able to spin the metal 'grate' which protects the speaker. This was the same for both L and R. 
I undid the 4 screws as you can see. Flipped the whole unit over and checked the 3 on the back (thanks for the tip, btw!) and they were secure. Yet, there was still movement. 

Also, the yellow "padding" was quite off-centre. Like, really, really, really off. It was over the edge on one side, and it didn't reach the beginning of the edge on the other side. (Sorry that might be a bit confusing). I tried to fix it but it just started falling apart so I did as much as I could while maintaining the cylindrical shape of the padding. The red circle on the pic below shows roughly where the yellow pad WAS

Now, I won't say that I have "fixed" the issue of the moving part, but I rotated the metal grate in a clockwise direction for about, 1/8th of a turn. Seems to have tightened it somewhat and now it doesn't move - only time will tell if this is a permanent fix. I suspect the vibrations may jostle it loose at some stage. 

I figured I'd post this follow-up so if others have the same issue in the future they might find this to be useful. 
Also, this thread needed more pictures anyway!!

Jul 9, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #615 of 906
Quote:
Okay, retried the Pro700 MKII for the second time, this time seriously at my friend's house in the silence of his room.

Now, I finally heard the "HOLYCRAP" bass that everyone was raving about... seriously, if the M50 is a muscle car, the Pro700 is a monster truck 0.0

The bass (the selling point of the Pro700) is very boomy, with significantly more impact than the M50 as well having a larger quantity as well (say, a 70% increase?). The general sound is warmer than the M50 though, something I did not like very much.

Then, I put on the M50 pads. The bass went from "HOLYCRAP" to absolute diarrhea-inducing madness. The quantity instantly came up to XB500 standards but was definitely cleaner-sounding than the Sonys. However, the bass did creep up to the mids slightly on some bass-heavy parts of certain music and impact was reduced a tad bit, a problem which the Pro700 did not have with stock pads on.

Versus the HFI580, surprisingly the HFI580 has EQUAL bass impact as the Pro700 with stock pads on. The HFI580 is significantly cleaner sounding with more forward mids and better treble extension. The Pro700 obviously wins in bass extension. However, I felt that the HFI580s have BETTER detail retrieval than the Pro700, but then again the HFI580 are very bang-for-buck...

Are the Pro700s worth the upgrade from the M50s? I say, not really. You're paying an extra 50 bucks for a warmer sound and more bass. Both provide the same level of detail pickup, but the M50 sounds cleaner and more lively. The Pro700 sound darker and warmer, which to me is a little too warm considering that the M50s are already very warm to begin with.

Unless you're looking for these traits (warmness and massive bass), I don't think that the Pro700 will provide the $50 worth of upgrades from the M50. Personally I would go for the XB500.

Then again, if you're a newbie looking for a bassier M50, this will get my recommendation.

Is that your line when it comes to bass? "Diarrhea inducing"?  How do these compare to the pro 900?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back