Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 review - Take two subwoofers...straight to the head.
Jan 11, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #301 of 906
So, your saying that Pro700Mk2 has great bass reproduction yet it lacks the tactile feed back of V-moda or a crappy Beats Studio. I was always wondering why so many people were complaining about not enough bass and so many also said that it is the god of bass. You practically answer my question. Thanks. :)

Jan 11, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #302 of 906

Quote:
So, your saying that Pro700Mk2 has great bass reproduction yet it lacks the tactile feed back of V-moda or a crappy Beats Studio. I was always wondering why so many people were complaining about not enough bass and so many also said that it is the god of bass. You practically answer my question. Thanks. :)

Sorry, just gotta ask. So which ones where you thinking are better now? for your taste?... I like the way you said Tactile feedback, that's exactly what it is. I know understand there is a lack of that of on the ATH-Pro700MK2's but I do like sound quality and I will use them for more that music. I have tried the V-Moda Lp's so I'm thinking Ill get the MK2's and get a best comparison. Is there anything batter I can get for around $300? I really want to spend the money and get something a can really enjoy. 

Jan 11, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #303 of 906
One thing you don't hear a lot about the LP/LP2 is the absolute crap isolation. What I mean by that, is when you are playing music in any kind of environment that isn't noisy, everyone around you will hear what you are listening to at almost the same volume level. This annoyed me to no end and I wondered why it hadn't been mentioned that much. Just look at any picture of the headphones, see those two little vents on the outside of the cup? They let out a ton of noise.

Jan 12, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #304 of 906
Unfortunately, I'm here to investigate how the Pro700Mk2 performs because I was thinking of buying its baby brother Pro500Mk2 since extremely few owners describe it as cheaper version of the former and I have any clue how the Pro700Mk2 performs. But I can give you my thoughts on your questions base on what I've read so far.

Pro700Mk2 has a robust frame yet it bulky like a tank so portability is an issue. Sound is great but lacks tactile feedback may or may not suit everyone but it makes it a great all around bass headphone. It has no color or design options. First week of use will hurt like hell but it will adapt eventually. Price is similar to or higher to V-Moda LP depending on where you bought it. 

V-Moda is has also a robust frame but with a compact design, plus the fact that it comes with a hard carrying case. It has wide range of custom colors and designs. Sound is very tactile but not as refined as Pro700Mk2(extremely close as one reviewer said), but it may cause issues in some songs and videos. It has very few comfort issues. Personally I would go for the M-80 since it is slightly better and refined than LP in all aspects but On Ear design would not suit  everyone.

Lastly, I personally prefer Pro700Mk2 for its universal use. It can be use as a monitor or a fun headphones. V-moda tactile feedback will be a little distracting in non bass orient music or movies. V-Moda M-80 or V-80 is a good choice since it much more refined as Inner Fidelity said in youtube and even in Head-Fi, yet still delivers tactile feedback. TMA AIAIAI also is a good alternative and so does the Sennheiser HD 25-II and HD 380 pro at sub $300.00 range bass headphones.

Hope this helps your choice.

Jan 12, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #305 of 906
Great input from the last couple of posts!!

Quote:
Quote:
I'm also looking for something similar to the bass that you can feel, similar to the Beats. After doing a bit of research and asking around, I'm going to go with the V-Moda LP2 w/the ZO2. I heard the XB500 is also similar so I'm also going to purchase it since its only about $60. 
When I buy them, I'll post about it. 

The MK2s in my experience have a large amount of rumble, but the mid-bass is too weak to actually feel. I wouldn't recommend it if you want punchy bass you can feel. You'll be disappointed.

You seem to be looking for the exact thing I am, and I don't think you'll be happy with these.

Great. Now I can discard the MK2 as a choice. So far the V-Moda LP seems like its what I'm looking for so since the LP2 is supposed to sound better, that is still my top choice. 

What cans are you considering in descending order? If there is something is feels even bassier (car subwoofer style) than the LP2s other than the XB500, then I'd like to know. 

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #307 of 906
What cans are you considering in descending order? If there is something is feels even bassier (car subwoofer style) than the LP2s other than the XB500, then I'd like to know. 

The HFI-580 (and its bigger, better, and twice as expensive cousin, the PRO900) are next on my wish list.

Jan 12, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #308 of 906

Quote:
I have been following this thread for the last couple of days and i would like to ask how the tactile feedback is for the HFI 580s?

Yea, Those Are by two choices now as well, I'm sold on the HFI-580 because heard the tactile feedback is as strong as the V-moda-LP's. I have tried the LP's and even though they have great Tactile feedback and great sound, the sound to me seams to lack sound stage. in other words the sound seams top be extremely close, like it coming from just one point .5in from your ear. I decided on the HFI-580, first off because of the great reviews and almost no complaints. Any one who did a review after burn-in had great results. And also because the HFI-580  incorporate S-Logic Tech by Ultrasone, it is said to spread the sound out (Unlike the LP's) so there is more of a room type sound, hard to explain. any way that is my decision. anyone who would like to differ, please do....still need any feedback... Thanks 

Jan 12, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #309 of 906
thanks for the reply, i have been in the same boat as you, i was really confused between the Pro 700s and the HFI 580s but have started to lean more and more towards the 580s.

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #310 of 906

Quote:
thanks for the reply, i have been in the same boat as you, i was really confused between the Pro 700s and the HFI 580s but have started to lean more and more towards the 580s.

Yea, Lots of research has gone into my decision... maybe to much haha..I Hope the HFI-580 will be up to its reputation. Then I will compare the V-Moda's and the HFI-580 to put this debate of "tactile bass king" to rest... at least we all know something that a lot of people don't, its not the Beats By Dr.Dre hahahaha.

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #311 of 906
I just got my Ultrasone 580 and I won't hi-jack this thread but.... wow !

They are new, still cold from outside so the are far from "top of the line testing"... but... wow !

I'd say it's a great compromise between all the headphones I've tried lately... great bass all-round (you hear it, you feel it), highs are nice clean and crisp and not disturbed by the bass's punches, lacking a bit in the mid section but if you got what it takes to fix this, there's not much these cans can't handle.

Tested directly without an amp on PowerAMP installed on my Samsung SII.

For portable and fun listening, these are great. My 2 cents. Great buy for "tacticle bass".

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #313 of 906

Quote:
I just got my Ultrasone 580 and I won't hi-jack this thread but.... wow !

They are new, still cold from outside so the are far from "top of the line testing"... but... wow !

I'd say it's a great compromise between all the headphones I've tried lately... great bass all-round (you hear it, you feel it), highs are nice clean and crisp and not disturbed by the bass's punches, lacking a bit in the mid section but if you got what it takes to fix this, there's not much these cans can't handle.

Tested directly without an amp on PowerAMP installed on my Samsung SII.

For portable and fun listening, these are great. My 2 cents. Great buy for "tacticle bass".

+1 for PowerAmp.  I'd still need to try some Ultrasones one day...

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #314 of 906

Quote:
What the hell is the big fuzz about this Ultrasone 580? I am not familiar with this unit.

Ultasone HFI-580's are what I think is the best compromise between tactile bass and great sound. I haven't gotten mine yet but from what I have heard they sound like a good choice. To help you compare it this is how my decision process when from first considered to my final choice ... Beats Pros (TESTED: over expensive, eehh sound) < Audio Technica ATH-Pr0700MK2 (from reviews heard of little tactile bass) < V-Moda LP's (TESTED: great tactile base, good sound, but little to no sound stage, sound is too close) < Ultrasone HFI-580's .....Of course this is of what I like. but this took a lot of research, Hope this helps. http://www.head-fi.org/t/583344/ultrasone-hfi-580-dj1-review <---- Good Review after burn in. 

P.S. I use PowerAmp too, best app on my phone. Bar none

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #315 of 906
Also, I have a minor complaint with the mk2... they ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO UNFOLD.

It's like trying to open a beartrap that can fold a hundred different ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back