Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 review - Take two subwoofers...straight to the head.
Dec 27, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #887 of 906
You are quite welcome =]

But D@mnit I didnt notice the seller also sold the

Velor Memory Foam Replacements Earpads
confused.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Velor-Memory-Replacements-Earpads/dp/B00MFDX4YO/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A2XYIDHW2C10EQ

But what the heck, I love extra pads!
L3000.gif

Guess I'lll have to buy a pair of those to and see how they sound & isolate.

I have a set of Sennheiser HD8 DJ with a Fiio x1 in the mail. should be here early next week.

I'm excited to see how they stack up agents the PRO700MKII

Dec 28, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #888 of 906
Just picked up a pair of these as I've been curious about them for over two years.................and now I get the whole basshead attraction to them!  Fed by my Digizoid ZO FS they thump pretty dang good! 

That said, will be selling them - only wanted them to test and satisfy my curiosity.  

Dec 28, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #889 of 906
I keep the PRO700MKII around because they are my "Extreme Cans" 

For use in Extremely harsh Environments

Extremely Good chance at banging my head on solid objects.
Extremely Dusty
Extremely Loud
Extremely Cold

I work in a High End Cabinet shop building exotic Cabinets and furnishings for the rich and famous.. Like Tiger Woods.. and a bunch of others 
who prefer to stay on the DL (down Low) with their $100,000,000 getaway homes.

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #890 of 906
So, my Pro700s have been delivered today and now undergoing a bit of the so-called burn in. 60% volume through an iPod Classic and Fiio X5 little amp. First impressions are mixed actually!
I think the bass element is very good, the mids and highs are recessed and appear to be much darker than my other pair of headphones (Ultrasone 780)
I am not going to thrash them through my DJ set up just yet - I am a firm believer in warming up any new audio equipment! 

Even with just the 4 hours on them so far the sound has become more balanced and the mids and highs are coming into play more.

Isolation is very good - I cannot hear my kids screaming at me even with no music playing hahah!!

In terms of the pads - I changed them immediately to the Brainwavz memory foam pads and they are like fluffy pillows on my ears and they completely cover my ears. I haven't had them on my head for more than about 2 minutes so cannot totally comment on the clamping force - but they seem to fit my head just fine. I think my Ultrasones actually clamp harder!

I'll post a better comparison in due course!

Dec 30, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #891 of 906
Awesome!

Thanks for the informative update!

When I first got the PRO700MKII I pretty much Hated them!

They hurt my head and ears.. and sounded like crap =]

Let them burn in and stretch out over a 12" wide pelican case, every night for a week.

High Jacked the Pads off one of my M50x's and that's when they started to shine =)

I'm glade you where able to by pass the awful head smashing experience  
beerchug.gif

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #892 of 906
Hey guys I just got these headphones and had some questions about them:

Right out of the box plugged into a computer, the sound quality is questionable. My Sol Republic Tracks (60$) felt like they had more bass than these. The glowing reviews made it seem like wonder headphones, but I just was expecting more, since my 60$ headphones were better than these. 

Therefore, I come to the question, how do you get these sounding to the best of their ability? DO  they need some good burning in, or maybe an amp to sound good? I don't doubt that these are good headphones, just how would I unlock the full potential to them? If an amp is a necessity, what amp should I get? (I want a cheap amp in the price range 15$-30$) And if I were to get new pads for them, what should I get?

Thanks, I am sorta a newbie at headphones. :)

Jan 3, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #893 of 906
Just Read though this thread/Forum and you should find all the info you need.

But I'll give you a quick run-down on the ATH-PRO700MKII
( Any Pro's out there feel free to correct my me)

HP (Headphones)

Burn in is Real. 

Plug it in and play some music or Radio Static though the HP

8hrs on 1hr off. for 50-100 Hrs.  Or what ever works best for you.

Burn in volume level - is normal listening levels.

Replacement Pads. Most popular is the ATH-M50 Pads

If you want more comfortable pads (with a possible decrease in sound clarity on the Pleather) check the links below.

pleather - Pads

http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Replacement-Memory-Foam-Earpads/dp/B00OLKV5LI/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1419043889&sr=8-9&keywords=M50x+ear+pads

Velor -Pads

http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Velor-Memory-Replacements-Earpads/dp/B00MFDX4YO/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A2XYIDHW2C10EQ

Amplification - Keep in mind the ATH-PRO700MKII runs large 53mm neodymium drivers with a Massive Maximum Input Power of  3,500 mW

So they can clearly benefit from the use of an Amp.

For example the widely popular Fiio X1 output power is 100 mW @ (16 Ω)

That being said. I have more then enough volume output running them off a simple Sansa Clip.

Keep in mind these are DJ headphones. they are not meant to compete with critical listening HP.

I hope this helps.

And enjoy your Headphones!!

-Hi5

Mar 7, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #894 of 906
So,  a real weird error happened lately... 

Two months after ordering from Amazon, sound gave out in 1 ear. The sound in the 1 ear is distorted--It seems as if it eliminated all treble and highs.
triportsad.gif
 The weirder thing is, they were gently used and never used at a high volume level. If I don't have a warranty for it, do you think Audio Technica will replace them for free? I sure do hope so. If their headphones just give out like that, (They gave out while watching netflix.) Then it surely must have been an error on their part.

I'll call in Monday, hopefully I can get a replacement! If not, the just-starting audiophile in me will be lost

EDIT: I got Amazon to make a special refund for the item, thank the Lord

Mar 13, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #895 of 906
**UPDATE**

Got my ath-pro700mk2's in the mail along with replacement earpads and a simple fiio e6 amp. All I did was burn them in for a few hours and stretch them over night, then replace the thin stock pads with good replacement pads. Then I hooked them up to my fiio e6 amp.

They sound awesome. They are very comfortable with the replacement pads, I feel like I could wear them all day.

Replacement Pads: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-HP-EP-WH-Replacement-Pads-Headphones/dp/B00LID642G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426261154&sr=8-1

The fiio e6 amp improves them alot, and gives them a little bit of bass. 

OVERALL, without the replacement pads, (Which were just 25$) these would be uncomfortable and I wouldn't be able to stand wearing them for more then 10 minutes. Get the replacement pads. (They are white, which look beast on the black ath-pro700 headphones.)

Cool,, right?

Mar 13, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #896 of 906
Very Cool, thanks for the Update!

beerchug.gif

Mar 24, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #898 of 906

"Cool,, right?"

Wow! those do looks super sexy =-D

Thank you my friends for helping me find my dream headphones :D
I couldn't have done it without all you folks!

You are welcome!

But be warned... Once you have be bitten by the headphone bug...  Its going to be hard to stop...
wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

Feb 8, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #899 of 906
These headphones just make me want to say I am a bass head... :D Okay the bass is a tad too much for some songs, but only a little. I wish there were open headphones with such amounts of bass lol. Still hating the metallic sound to them or whatever it is...Other than that surprisingly nothing much else to complain about, other than the obvious comfort issues...

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #900 of 906
For the past month I’ve been trying to decide on a new pair of headphones, coming from the Technics RP DJ1210.  This year, they’re turning five and the padding on the headband is flaking, so I’m thinking about retiring them. I haven’t had any problems with them save for the failure of the 3.5 mm connector, which was replaced with a gold plated Oyaide one. In terms of durability and sound experience, they have served me well.

I’m looking for loud bass cannons and I want them to pair with my phones. I have three BlackBerrys, the Passport, the 9900 and the 9780 and the latter can push the Technics so loud, that I can comfortably use them as speakers, hanging around my neck, without producing any distorsion. Also, I also like to listen to music as extreme volumes which, as I’ve said elsewhere, most people would find unbearable. When I went to test the Sennheisers (HD 25-1 II) the store clerk told me that if I listen to those levels I might go deaf... So I’m looking for something very powerful that can handle very well electronic music (techno, hardstyle and the likes). I was also told that the only thing I could do besides buying the sets they had in store was to strap a pair of 15 inch subwoofers to my head, which, ironically, brought me here. :) Also, I have a small head and I hate over ear headphones. The Pioneer HDJ 2000, although they have large earcups, don't fully engulf my ears and sit halfway on my lobes, so that's as far of a compromise I'd be willing to take. 

Now I was initially aiming for the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II, but while they offered me a nice auditory experience, they did not have the bass thump and power of the Technics. Granted, the 1210’s are 32 ohms and the HD 25’s are 70 so it might have been the impedance difference that hindered the experience.

The second pair I was considering was the Pioneer HDJ 2000 MkI or Mk II. While they look very nice, both the first and second generation are very expensive and I’ve been reading horror stories about joints breaking and wires shorting, so I’m not sure I would like to take that chance. I tested the Mk1’s with my phones and they sound very good, but again, I’m not convinced about their durability, as I wouldn’t like to keep them only for one year or so, it will be a rather long term investment.

Last, the ATH Pro700 MkII or Denon HP1100 might seem like a good choice, considering they have 53 mm drivers and extreme input power handling (3.500mW).
I hope some of you might be able to answer a couple of questions before I order a pair of Pro700’s to test.

Compared to the HDJ 2000, are the Pro 700’s larger or similar in size? (cups and overall fitment on the head)

Last year I tried a pair of Allen & Heath Xone XD2’s and they were so large that the fully retracted set had the earcups reaching halfway below my ears. I’ve read that the XD2’s and the the Pro 700’s share the same drivers, is that correct? Does it mean that the overall size of the headphones will be the same? In pictures the arms on the XD2’s seem longer. 

Are the Pro 700’s harder to drive through a mobile phone than the HDJ2000’s? The Pioneer HDJ 2000 MkI are 36 ohms and the Pro700MkII’s are 38 ohms; would that make a big difference? I’d like to avoid, if possible, to haul a portable amp with me.

Thank you! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back