Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 review - Take two subwoofers...straight to the head.
Aug 1, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #873 of 906
Thank you very much.

On a slightly unrelated note, if I'm going to be using these headphones primarily in noisy environments (outdoors on a college campus, definitely a lot on a loud bus), would I be better served by looking at noise canceling headphones? The MDR-10RNC, or the PSB-M4U2, perhaps? My logic being that in such noisy environments (I'm thinking mainly about the bus, where I'll be using these a lot), the quality of non-NC headphones would be diminished greatly.

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #874 of 906
Yeah, I've been told before that the Pro 900s are what I need. Expensive though, ugh. How do they compare to the Pro 750s? I might be willing to give those another try.

Would I need to amp the 900s?

I'm currently using a borrowed e6 with the MkIIs, using the mid-boosting eq setting on them. And oh my goodness it sounds amazing. It makes me wonder whether I'd have liked some of the other headphones I tried if I'd amped them.

How do the e6, e11, and e12 match up to each other? Would quality scale with price, because if so, I'd definitely want the e12.

Well hello again :)

So my Signature DJ recommend is out your budget?

Might help if we know what your budget is to give more appropriate rec's.

One headphone that comes to mind is the M-Audio Q40 - from what I gather it's now discontinued, but there seems to be plenty stock still available online.

I recently picked up a pair and they are unbelievably good and amazingly cheap - I only paid £60GBP for them.

Here's a link to my impressions of them if you've an interest:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/275459/m-audio-q40-impressions-long-w-pics/1560#post_10712335

But if you go to page 1 of that thread, the OP gives a much more in depth review of the Q40, which I find very representative of how I regard them also.

Here's link for the Q40 bass paper SPL test:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-best-bass-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club/1065#post_10692836

And for anyone interested on this thread of the Pro700mk2 bass/paper SPL test, here's its link to its video:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-best-bass-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club/960#post_10682707

Going off topic a little here, but if you want to see an awesome bass/paper test made on a summit- fi bass cannon headphone - check this out:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-best-bass-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club/1485#post_10759270

Aug 1, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #875 of 906
Yeah, something of that price is definitely out of my budget. I'd have to be getting it for ~$500 to consider those cans. That puts it in the range of the Pro 900s...But I don't want to pay $500 retail for those. If I got those for $300 I'd be happy.

So basically, my budget is less than $500 for the headphone and amp combo, unless I'm getting an extremely good deal.

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #876 of 906
I've owned the Audio Technica pro700mk2s for over 2 years now and just today I replaced the awful stock pads. I'm not a DJ, never have been so they never served a purpose. They were so uncomfortable I bought an AMP really so I could hang them around my neck at home and blast my music through them. Today, I just got Ath-m50 pad replacements and the difference is night an day. I can finally wear these headphones without my ears breaking. The bass is much more powerful. The mids sound better. My ear no longer rests on the driver. These are great headphones and have been through a lot of **** with me and their build quality still holds up and hopefully longer. 10/10 would only recommend with Ath-m50 pads.

Aug 29, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #878 of 906
  I've owned the Audio Technica pro700mk2s for over 2 years now and just today I replaced the awful stock pads. I'm not a DJ, never have been so they never served a purpose. They were so uncomfortable I bought an AMP really so I could hang them around my neck at home and blast my music through them. Today, I just got Ath-m50 pad replacements and the difference is night an day. I can finally wear these headphones without my ears breaking. The bass is much more powerful. The mids sound better. My ear no longer rests on the driver. These are great headphones and have been through a lot of **** with me and their build quality still holds up and hopefully longer. 10/10 would only recommend with Ath-m50 pads.

If you're happy with the M50 pads, you should try them with HM5 pads. They're extremely comfortable and give them an around-ear fit.

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #881 of 906
Dec 20, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #882 of 906
I got a Pair for me and My Daughter.

PRO700MKII & M40x

Dec 26, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #884 of 906
Hi there 

How do the pads change the quality of the sound coming out of it? I've just bought a pair of Pro 700s thru Amazon (not yet received!!) with the Bainwaves and additional M50 replacement pads.

I'm interested in the bass and treble response really (as a DJ)

Many thanks!

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #885 of 906

Hi there 

How do the pads change the quality of the sound coming out of it? I've just bought a pair of Pro 700s thru Amazon (not yet received!!) with the Bainwaves and additional M50 replacement pads.

I'm interested in the bass and treble response really (as a DJ)

Many thanks!

For the Pads in the photo be cautioned they are quite deep and will add a bit of an hollow sound until the memory foam has time to break in and form to your head.
For me it was well worth it. I work indoors around very loud equipment for 10 hours a day.

I have learned that the PRO700MKII love lots of power and that's where they really start to shine. 

I mostly wear a beanie at work and turn them up to a comfortable level. The beanie adds a fair amount of sound absorption but its no problem for the 700's I just turn them up a bit more.

The Pads allow me to wear the PRO700MKII comfortably for 10+ hours.
It doesn't seem to effect the bass, maybe even enhances it.

The Ear pads combined with the excellent sound isolation of the PRO700MKII allows me to enjoy my music comfortably while working in a very loud environment (Air Hoses, Drills, Air Guns, Table Saws, chop saws CNC, exc.

Side not. If the Ear Pad manufacture would add felt to the inside portion on those ear pads they would be perfect!
9/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back