Audio Technica ATH Pro 700 MK2 or Beats Pro?
Jul 21, 2011 at 10:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DannyDanko

New Head-Fier
Before everyone jump in and flame me i have to mention i can get the Beats Pros for $210 from a buddy that works at BestBuy..

The only place i can get the Audio Technica Pro 700 MK2 is through eBay or online, which is around $200 including shipping (not including customs tax).

So my question is for a guy that listens to Hip Hop 95% of the time which are a better choice?

Right now im leaning towards the Audio Technica's since i have less of a chance getting help up while wearing them.. But sound quality wise which are better?

Im looking to buy anyone of these before i go on my trip next week.

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #2 of 11
I'm going to go out on a limb here and recommend you get the Beats Pro. Sound quality wise the Beats Pro are actually on par with the PRO700MK2 which does not say much if you consider regular street/retail price comparisons. However, consider the time in which you'll be selling your headphones in the near future. No one would really buy a used PRO700MK2 for more than 150$. Whereas the Beats Pro would sell for hotcakes and you'd most likely be getting some nice profit since you bought them for so cheap. Comfort-wise and looks-wise, I'd also have to recommend the Beats Pro. 

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #3 of 11
Yeah the Pros dont sound that impressive considering they match up well with $150 headphones like the MK2s.. Hows the bass and clarity compare to the MK2?

My only concern is the Beats Pros attract a lot of attention, its not something i can use to work or school everyday

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #4 of 11
The Beats Pro basically tuned and refined the bloated bass on the Beats Studios and brought up the mids and highs more. I would even say they sound a little more refined than the PRO700MK2 from my experience. Of course they're more than twice the price so I'd never recommend them straight up. But not in this case. I'm pretty sure you can fit the ATH-M50 earpads on the PRO700MK2 since the main issue with them is comfort for me. Beware the Beats Pro are on the heavy side since they do have an aluminium body, although not too unbearable. 

Jul 21, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #6 of 11
Yes I prefer the Pros by a smidgen. This is my experience of course. Although I prefer the ATH-M50 over both in terms of clarity. In terms to a similar bassy sound signature, the Aiaiai TMA-1 wins over both the PRO700MK2 and the Beats Pro for me in sound, looks, and comfort. By the way, the Beats Pros sport a 40mm driver. 

Jul 21, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #7 of 11
^Man every time im set on a pair of headphones i keep changing my mind. I just looked up the TMA 1 and they look pretty nice, i dont want headphones that ill probably get held up for.

So your saying the bass and sound quality are better than the pros?

Jul 21, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #8 of 11
The Pros definitely have a punchier bass than the TMA-1. The TMA-1 win out on clarity in the mids and highs although it's a relatively dark and laid back sounding headphone. They sound amazing with hip hop and electronica I can tell you that. Build quality wise, the TMA-1 wins by a mile and they look pretty slick to boot. However if you're truly a basshead, just snag the Ultrasone Pro 900 for the same price as the Pros (retail price) or even cheaper and never look back.

Jul 9, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #11 of 11
BeatsPro has a deeper, heavier and tighter bass (low) compared to ATH-Pro700MK2 or M50.
However, the mids and high in BeatsPro may not be impressive as compared to ATH-Pro700MK2 or M50. If you add a good headphone amp. such as Alo's Rx-MK3-B, then your BeatsPro is perfect.
However if budget is a concern, then you may consider ATH-M50 which has a well balanced in low, mids and high. You can improve the bass in ATH-M50 with amp like Fiio E11.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back