Driver Unit: phi 30mm, neodymium magnet
Playback frequency zone : 12 - 23,000Hz
Impedance: 32 ohms
Largest input: 100mW
Output overpressure value: 102dB/mW
Plug: phi 3.5 gold-plating stereo mini
Cord/code length: 1.2m (Y type)
Weight: 38g [/size]

Just got myself the new ATH-ON3, so I guess I will share some picture and a little of my initial impression to y'all. One thing you will notice immediately is the vivid color used, but it is by no mean just another good looking but poor sounding 'phone. The one I have is lime green with wooden brown pad.
ON30.jpg

The ONTO seamless headband works really well. It seems really weak at first but it does hold it shape when I wear it. However metal can still be twisted (and ruined) quite easily and therefore no suitable to be putted into backpack.
ON31.jpg

The outer housing has a piano finish much like the Panasonic RP-HTX7. It is quite shiny but as prone to fingerprint and stretch. One of my complaint is the lack of carrying pouch, but since ON3 is priced quite low so I can't expect much. It is about US$8.3 (1000Yen) in Japan, and I got it for ~3/5 of the price of a KCS75 in Singapore.
ON32.jpg

The earpad used on ON3 is similar to that of PX200 (only smaller). I must say the color is simply wonderful
biggrin.gif
The isolation of this 'phone is also enough for me to enjoy Avril Lavigne's The Best Damn Thing undisturbed on a speeding train on a mid/high volume setting.
ON33.jpg

The design and sound quality of ON3 remind me of PX200, except ON3 is 6 times cheaper. Sound wise, ON3 is muddier (on mid and bass) and roll off earlier than PX200 at the low end (and a little on the high end). However ON3 do have a fuller mid range which generally will draw listener attention from the slightly weaker bass (compare to PX200). One of the plus side of ON3 is the weight, it is much lighter than PX200 and I didn't feel like wearing a headband at all.
ON34.jpg

For such as low price, ON3 pretty much beats every other closed headband/clip-on 'phone on its price/performance ratio (especially when you compare it to those Sony and Panasonic clip-on). If you are looking for cheap, good sounding 'phone with isolation, ON3 is probable the best choice out there. On an extra note, ON3 is also glasses friendly too
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #2 of 23
Nice review. I have the PX 200, so its nice that you used them for the comparison.

I'm a bit confused, did you say you can twist the headband up for storage?

May 5, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #3 of 23
No, if you twist it the headband shape will be lose and the whole thing ruined.

May 5, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #5 of 23
I'd love to pick up the white/brown ones for less than $10! I bet they will never bring them to the states though. Sad.

May 5, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #7 of 23
Mmmmm, funky phonies, cheapo phonies, not that bad sounding phonies.

. . .OK

WAKEUP TIME

As i have yet to see ANY Audio-technica's in dutch shops, apart from my creative rebrand.

May 5, 2007 at 10:43 AM Post #8 of 23
These are certainly the crazy bargain for the equivalent of US$8.3 in Japan! I got my brown ones for US$33.28 shipped from Bluetin. IMO the ATH-ON3 has a lot in common sonically with the ATH-EW9 woodie clip-ons. I'd disagree with ClieOS only in that the ON3 provides little isolation on my ears.

May 5, 2007 at 11:38 AM Post #9 of 23
Any comparison with the Portapros???

May 5, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #10 of 23
Never hear a Portapro before, but if it is anything resembles a KSC75 than ON3 will no sound as good (just on the fact that ON3 is a closed 'phone)... than again, ON3 does has better isolation (obviously).

May 5, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never hear a Portapro before, but if it is anything resembles a KSC75 than ON3 will no sound as good (just on the fact that ON3 is a closed 'phone)... than again, ON3 does has better isolation (obviously).

IMHO it sounds better than the KSC75, and cost more as well, but I got them in a sale while they cost only 20.00 so no complaints, but so far I was not able to find anything similar that sounds better...

May 5, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO it sounds better than the KSC75, and cost more as well, but I got them in a sale while they cost only 20.00 so no complaints, but so far I was not able to find anything similar that sounds better...

where did you get yours?

May 5, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where did you get yours?

There was sale some time ago in Circuit City, they sold the Portapro2 for 20.00, a version made by them for Koss...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back