Audio Technica ATH-M40x: The Little Brother that Could
Jun 18, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #136 of 699
  So, what impedances and sensitivities should i look for in headphones?)
If we will talk about sony mdr7506 with 24 ohm and 104 db?
will it be ok?

Has nothing to do with what to "look for", it's looking for something that you like the sound of, and then obtaining proper amplification to bring it to the volume level you desire if necessary. You still haven't provided the actual output power of the very unit you're using to power your cans, so I can't tell you for sure. I will say though the 7506 is very sensitive and very easy to drive, but they will absolutely destroy your hearing with their upper midrange ringing problems.

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #137 of 699
  Has nothing to do with what to "look for", it's looking for something that you like the sound of, and then obtaining proper amplification to bring it to the volume level you desire if necessary. You still haven't provided the actual output power of the very unit you're using to power your cans, so I can't tell you for sure. I will say though the 7506 is very sensitive and very easy to drive, but they will absolutely destroy your hearing with their upper midrange ringing problems.

So, i bought k240's.
Seems fine to me. Then i decided to pllug it in my USB Audion Interface (M-Audio M-Track). And i need to turn my volume knob more than to 3/4 to get reasonable volume level for mixing. And when i do, i get a distrotion in deep basses ( i guess >50-60 hz). It is almost impossible to mix with that.
The, i plugged them in my FireWire Audio Interface (Infrasonic Deux with AC adapter). Now i need to turn volume knob just for a half to get same volume level. And i get almost no distortion when i turning it almost to max. Seems like headphone amdp in Infrasonic is much better than in M-Audio. But, my infrasonic audio interface is much laggy in terms of latency when recording. And it seems like i can't adjust it normally (with low buffer size i ll get to much sound errors).
And i thinking of getting amp for my headphones. I will connect an amp to M-Audio and then connect my headphones to amp.
I was searching a bit and got my eye on FiiO E11K. What do you think, will it be enough for my akgs? I mean to get reasonable volume level without distortion and with plenty of volume "headroom" left?
I am not much in electricity, i was just playing with numbers and specification is some Excel file, it is named HEADPHONE POWER CALCULATOR by ROB ROBINETTE.
http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-power-calculator-spreadsheet

So, first i input my AKGs impedance and sensitivity, then i input the loudness level i need to get to (110dB) and then it will show me how much power (mW), voltage (Vrms) and current (milliamps rms) i need to get to that level. (79,5 m, 2,08 Vrms, 38 ma rms).
Then i can see, how loud will an amp drive my headphones. I input Vrms of E11K (450mW @16ohm, 151mW @55ohm; Vrms = 2,68) (correct me if i wrong). And calculator shows me, that max dB i can get is 112 and my amp will provide power of 142 mW and current 50 ma rms. Seems like it is almost twice that i need to get to 110 dB (and i think i won't need to get to 110, 105 will be enough).
So, what do you think? Is it right calculations? 
Will E11K suit my needs? :)

Jun 21, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #138 of 699
  So, i bought k240's.
Seems fine to me. Then i decided to pllug it in my USB Audion Interface (M-Audio M-Track). And i need to turn my volume knob more than to 3/4 to get reasonable volume level for mixing. And when i do, i get a distrotion in deep basses ( i guess >50-60 hz). It is almost impossible to mix with that.
The, i plugged them in my FireWire Audio Interface (Infrasonic Deux with AC adapter). Now i need to turn volume knob just for a half to get same volume level. And i get almost no distortion when i turning it almost to max. Seems like headphone amdp in Infrasonic is much better than in M-Audio. But, my infrasonic audio interface is much laggy in terms of latency when recording. And it seems like i can't adjust it normally (with low buffer size i ll get to much sound errors).
And i thinking of getting amp for my headphones. I will connect an amp to M-Audio and then connect my headphones to amp.
I was searching a bit and got my eye on FiiO E11K. What do you think, will it be enough for my akgs? I mean to get reasonable volume level without distortion and with plenty of volume "headroom" left?
I am not much in electricity, i was just playing with numbers and specification is some Excel file, it is named HEADPHONE POWER CALCULATOR by ROB ROBINETTE.
http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-power-calculator-spreadsheet

So, first i input my AKGs impedance and sensitivity, then i input the loudness level i need to get to (110dB) and then it will show me how much power (mW), voltage (Vrms) and current (milliamps rms) i need to get to that level. (79,5 m, 2,08 Vrms, 38 ma rms).
Then i can see, how loud will an amp drive my headphones. I input Vrms of E11K (450mW @16ohm, 151mW @55ohm; Vrms = 2,68) (correct me if i wrong). And calculator shows me, that max dB i can get is 112 and my amp will provide power of 142 mW and current 50 ma rms. Seems like it is almost twice that i need to get to 110 dB (and i think i won't need to get to 110, 105 will be enough).
So, what do you think? Is it right calculations? 
Will E11K suit my needs? :)

110 dB spikes is good, looks like you have definitely done your homework and yeah, as long as you can get to what looks like 80 mW out at 55 ohms, you should be good.

Jun 21, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #139 of 699
  110 dB spikes is good, looks like you have definitely done your homework and yeah, as long as you can get to what looks like 80 mW out at 55 ohms, you should be good.

Thanks, man :) I will test Fiio e11k then.
Or maybe you know any other amplifier with specs like e11k that you can recommend (in the same price range)?

And also, big thanks for pushing me to get more knowledge on that topic. Tha was really hard but rewarding :wink:

Jun 21, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #141 of 699
Yeah they're pretty good, just lacking in the sub bass region though. Relatively fast and quite detailed up top for the price for sure. Good for a cheap reference headphone, but quite insensitive for 55 ohms. I'm not big on giving accurate amp recommendations. I basically just run a Schiit Modi 1 and Magni 2 stack and it feeds everything I have just fine with enormous headroom.

Jun 21, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #142 of 699
  Yeah they're pretty good, just lacking in the sub bass region though. Relatively fast and quite detailed up top for the price for sure. Good for a cheap reference headphone, but quite insensitive for 55 ohms. I'm not big on giving accurate amp recommendations. I basically just run a Schiit Modi 1 and Magni 2 stack and it feeds everything I have just fine with enormous headroom.

yea, seems like that's a nice setup. but my main problem is that i need to record instruments, that's why i can't just use DAC+AMP, i need an audio interface with instruments and mic inputs :)

Jul 21, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #144 of 699
Hello guys, let's revive this thread.

I want a recommendation. I want to buy some entry level headphones, 99$ max (if it's below 99$ it's even better though I don't think there are any), but I can not decide which ones should I buy. I was almost sure the m40x was the best possible solution but after reading this thread I am not sure. There are many good headphones for this price range. Examples are some shure headphones that have been mentioned here, there are sennheiser ones in that price range (example hd 439), there is sony mdr 7506, well there are many headphones.

I am gonna describe the use:

1. Non professional use, I will be using them at home mostly, but I will be bringing them on vacation/travelling too.
  2. Taking that in mind, it is important that they are durable.
  3. Also, I want them to be convienient. For example, if the ear pad gets torn off, I want to be sure I can replace it. If the cable gets destroyed, I want to know I can replace it. I had already a pair of headphones that did not have removable ear pads and it is very annoying to have a fully functioning headphone being useless just because I can not replace bad ear pads.
  4. It is important that they do not need an amp to work on a good level. I will be pluging them on my phone when moving around and my pc has an onboard sound card.

The music I listen to:

1. Metal, mostly power metal, symphonic metal, epic metal, and classical metal. (I believe this means I want good mids and highs?).
  2. Some classic famous rock songs.
  3. Soundtracks. Either from movies (Hans Zimmer for example), or games. Also tracks like two steps from hell. (this might mean I need also good lows?).
  4. Classical music. Yes, I listen to Mozart, Bach, Beethoven and many different composers.
  5. (although I do not know much about what exactly highs, mid and lows mean, I believe I need neutral headphones for my tastes although if I am incorrect please correct me).

What do you guys think?

Jul 21, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #145 of 699
@MusicBox

Durability: It's quite durable for me. I likely to throw it in a bag full of things, still fine until now. *you get leather pouch in box to cover it

Ear-pads: Replaceable. If it's torn, you can get another pair for about 35USD.

Cable: you can unplug the cable from the phones, and you get 2 types (pairs) of cable in box. I don't know whether it is available to purchase separately if you need it, but 2 pieces already in box surely helps.

Amplification: 35 Ohms of resistance surely no need an amp. I'm using this on my Nexus 5, and fine

for the type of audio quality you want, I think you should try yourself in a headphone store nearby

Jul 21, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #146 of 699
Thanks for the reply, I forgot to tell you I can not actually try them at store because we do not have one where I live. However I have found this website that tries to mimic the sound differences but since it's comming from the same source (my cheap speakers) I don't think this is a trustworthy comparison.

Aug 5, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #147 of 699
Hi Forum members,

I have a quick question on M40X earpad replacement.

I just got my HM5 memory foam replacement earpads and they are enormous in size, perfect. I was surprised to see that they are very angled like the ones seen on Alpha Dogs.

The question is that while removing the stock earpads I saw a foam sheet between stock earpads and drivers. I want to know whether that foam sheet is required or not? For now I have put the foam sheet between the HM5 pads and drivers. If they are not required or removing them improves sound then I may remove them.

EDIT:
Dimensions: ~19 mm on the thinner side and ~29mm on the thicker side, they are heavily angled. Once they become softer after some usage they will definitely offer much more seal and comfort.

Aug 5, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #149 of 699
  Hi Forum members,

I have a quick question on M40X earpad replacement.

I just got my HM5 memory foam replacement earpads and they are enormous in size, perfect. I was surprised to see that they are very angled like the ones seen on Alpha Dogs.

The question is that while removing the stock earpads I saw a foam sheet between stock earpads and drivers. I want to know whether that foam sheet is required or not? For now I have put the foam sheet between the HM5 pads and drivers. If they are not required or removing them improves sound then I may remove them.

EDIT:
Dimensions: ~19 mm on the thinner side and ~29mm on the thicker side, they are heavily angled. Once they become softer after some usage they will definitely offer much more seal and comfort.

I ignored the foam when replacing the earpads.  I doubt they will do any good if you keep them with HM5s.  Perhaps you may like how the foam changes the sound when you add it back in after swapping pads, but there will be some sonic drawback or another.  I'm sure it wouldn't be worth it, but try it for yourself and find out.

Aug 6, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #150 of 699
I used it for a day and I can say that treble is very bright and at times harsh. Parts of audio tracks that have some complicated passages at the lower end are over-shadowed by the brightness of the treble. The foam padding with HM5 Memory Foam pads (mine are heavily angled, I don't know if it's normal or the seller made a very good mistake) makes bass a little thicker and a bit tighter too and also the treble brightness and harshness remains under control and still maintains a lot of details. With a very harsh and bright top-end it is hard to listen to it for too long.

The foam sheet has an effect on the mids with the stock pads (see this), however, it's difficult to say if the same applies to any other pad. Did they fit OK or a little loose?

They fit fine, not as tight as the stock pads but not loose either. They don't rotate around as easily as the stock pads did.

Here are pics (Shot with my HTC Desire 820 Dual SIM, HDR Mode):

Users who are viewing this thread

Back