Audio Technica ATH-M40x: The Little Brother that Could
Aug 6, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #151 of 699
Yeah, those are the angled memory foam pleathers. You may want to try the memory foam velours as well, they tend to smooth the treble and reduce the bass bloat. Front damping also helps, you could use a piece of thick felt over the driver openings to tame the treble.

Aug 6, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #152 of 699
  I used it for a day and I can say that treble is very bright and at times harsh. Parts of audio tracks that have some complicated passages at the lower end are over-shadowed by the brightness of the treble. The foam padding with HM5 Memory Foam pads (mine are heavily angled, I don't know if it's normal or the seller made a very good mistake) makes bass a little thicker and a bit tighter too and also the treble brightness and harshness remains under control and still maintains a lot of details. With a very harsh and bright top-end it is hard to listen to it for too long.

Speaker dampening material like Fatmat or Dynamat eliminates the harshness.  It's the same story with many plastic headphones, Grados being one of the most notorious.  The plastic parts around the drivers vibrate slightly, and some of the energy from the moving diaphragms returns to the drivers, exacerbating treble peaks and adding harshness to the sound, sometimes even muddying the bass and midrange.  In M40x's case, the plastic parts add a little brightness and some harshness.  You can google dynamat headphone or markl mod for examples.  The best way to avoid the plastic issues is to use that magnesium material, like higher-end AT's utilize such as AD900 or A2000X, in place of the usual ABS plastics.  Or make the plastic thicker and heavier/harder.
That doesn't usually happen with cheap headphones, so we can at least improvise with car speaker dampening material.

Aug 6, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #153 of 699
I used dynamat with my M40x in the cup and the baffle and the treble glare didn't go away completely, part of it is a driver characteristic, part of it is due to pleather pads bouncing HF waves around. I no longer have the pair, but I would bet that a combination of velour pads + some sort of front damping (toilet paper, felt, etc) would do the trick, it has worked for me with other pairs.

Aug 6, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #154 of 699
I had to sell mine very uncomfortable if you have ears that stick out also not very fun to listen to not particularly good for working with sound design as well.

Aug 7, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #155 of 699
The sound is very good and flat for its price range, but the headphones are definitely bad for bassheads.

Still a little uncomfortable, however I have read that around 50 hours of use they get better. I will update at some point.

Aug 7, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #156 of 699
The sound is very good and flat for its price range, but the headphones are definitely bad for bassheads.

Still a little uncomfortable, however I have read that around 50 hours of use they get better. I will update at some point.

This is definitely not for bassheads. Even after 50 hours of listening it still won't get much better. I used one of these while my cans were sent for repair and I definitely missed the bass from my cans. These guys are good for balanced and flat response which is what it was made to do.

Aug 7, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #157 of 699
  I had to sell mine very uncomfortable if you have ears that stick out also not very fun to listen to not particularly good for working with sound design as well.

Best cans for that are K702, M-audio HDH50, or the Akai MPC, but M40x will need modifications and EQ to be good for sound design  I don't think anything at ~$100 will be good without EQ and possibly a few mods.

Aug 14, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #158 of 699
Hey guys I bought these headphones today, they work splendid with any of my iDevices(iPod Touch 4th gen and iPad Air) but audio quality isn't that great with my Android phone, I tried using them with my Nexus 5 but I wish they could be louder. Is there anything I could do with regards to Android phones.

Aug 14, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #159 of 699
You could use some Amplifier for headphones.

Best pair of headphones that I have so far.I listen to wide range of music, from Classical, underground Rap and Hip Hop, R'n'B, Soul, over all variations Jazz, Blues, Hard Rock, Alternative, Avant-garde, to all kinds of Metal, Rock and Pop, World Music, Electronic, Native, Folk, Oldies etc..so far, they are good for me.Not an audiomaniac, so I don't care that much about technical stuff, just trying to get the most out of what I have.

Bass is not that flat as they say in reviews all over the internet, but a bit more bass wouldn't hurt.Maybe not for bassheads, but I find them very good for Hip-Hop, cos too much of bass kills the rest of beat, even though most of listeners like massive bass(which is cool, but I like to hear that extra stuff that rappers and DJ's use for samples in that kind of music)

Right now im listening the new Ghostface Killah album Sour Soul, which is a combo of hip-hop and jazz instrumental music, and it sounds great on these headphones.

I use them on sandisk sport, phone, tablet, computer and Marshall amp.As they all say for a $100, hard to find something better for average user.

They are very comfortable for my head, but I needed a little time to get used to them.I came from AKG K77, so I'm used to that kind of design.I like the earpads, much more softer than those on AKG's.

Aug 15, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #163 of 699
Hey guys I bought these headphones today, they work splendid with any of my iDevices(iPod Touch 4th gen and iPad Air) but audio quality isn't that great with my Android phone, I tried using them with my Nexus 5 but I wish they could be louder. Is there anything I could do with regards to Android phones.

When I had the nexus 5 I had the same issue, it doesn't get very loud (the volume was generally low with every headphone I tried).  An external amp will definitely help :)

Aug 15, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #164 of 699
  What do you mean? These headphones play loud enough without an amp, they are made to be portable and not needing an amp. What could an amp offer besides more loudness which is already on high levels?

Only for those who want deafeningly loud volume.

Aug 15, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #165 of 699
What do you mean? These headphones play loud enough without an amp, they are made to be portable and not needing an amp. What could an amp offer besides more loudness which is already on high levels?

Not necessarily. Some amps boost different frequencies resulting in different listening experience. Anyways it's up to the user to decide if he wants to use an amp or not. It's not wrong to use an amp with these headphones, especially if the source is not powerful enough to drive them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back