Audio Technica ATH-M40x: The Little Brother that Could
Mar 29, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #541 of 699
Has anyone here experimented with many pads and discovered a really good sounding alternative to smooth out the highs while bringing out the lower mids a bit for a warmer sound?

Mar 31, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #542 of 699
Has anyone here experimented with many pads and discovered a really good sounding alternative to smooth out the highs while bringing out the lower mids a bit for a warmer sound?

I must say that I like the frequency response, but maybe a little V shaped to my liking. To be exact in the mid bass and the upper high frequencies are a bit too much for me coming from an MDR-7506. I think the sound on those was more easy on my ears if something. But I needed something without the stupid heavy coiled cable so I came here instead of modding them.

Apr 15, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #543 of 699
I just bought some cheap MSR7 replacement pads to put on my M40x, and I was really satisfied. I did notice a slight peak added to the treble in a weird spot when I tried my friend's Brainwavz pads, and these MSR7 pads (with my original foam inserts, as they didn't include new ones) sounded pretty much identical to stock, but maybe with a deeper bass extension (not bloated though, just a bit less rolled off) and a teeny tiny bit wider soundstage.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073YR365P/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I recommend these or a similar MSR7-spec replacement. They're way more comfortable than stock.

Apr 16, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #544 of 699
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Genuine-Lea...hash=item3ad3de470c:m:mgQ4Fu4Mp2mrp75k6sOCTBg

s-l1600.jpg

Do ws1100 pads fit the m40x

These are genuine Chinese leather. Not sure of animal used.

20 bones/pair

:D

Apr 17, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #545 of 699
I just bought some cheap MSR7 replacement pads to put on my M40x, and I was really satisfied. I did notice a slight peak added to the treble in a weird spot when I tried my friend's Brainwavz pads, and these MSR7 pads (with my original foam inserts, as they didn't include new ones) sounded pretty much identical to stock, but maybe with a deeper bass extension (not bloated though, just a bit less rolled off) and a teeny tiny bit wider soundstage.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073YR365P/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I recommend these or a similar MSR7-spec replacement. They're way more comfortable than stock.
I looked at that link, and in the product description they talk about adhesive. What adhesive are they referring to?
Do they not just fit around the plastic frame, without any adhesive?

Apr 17, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #546 of 699
I looked at that link, and in the product description they talk about adhesive. What adhesive are they referring to?
Do they not just fit around the plastic frame, without any adhesive?
Oh no there's no adhesive, they actually fit pretty much perfectly in the pad groove. They aren't quite as tight in there as the factory pads but they aren't sliding around or baggy like brainwavz or some other pads.
I should note that there's also some black only and brown with black inner fabric MSR7 china pads, those ones may have different materials.

Apr 17, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #547 of 699
By the way, I am using the m40x out of the geek out1000 to the jotunheim right now with these very minor eq tweaks and it sounds pretty good.
I am also using case's 64bit meier vst plugin along with the eq.

eq.jpg

Apr 19, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #548 of 699
Just received a M40x and out of the box I thought it sounded dry and artificial. Although I think it's quite neutral, it sounds as if the life as been taken out of the music. I was a little upset as I thought those headphone would provide the most realistic sound. The Sony CD900ST is great in this price range. The sony gives a natural, neutral sound but with a smoother top and big bass, without ever sounding dark. The CD900st is a neutral/fun headphone really. But back to the M40x, my pads are quite hard, not soft at all. So, I took the Sony V6 pads first... and wow. That makes a huge difference. The stock pads are very, very bad. The M40x sounds way more real and soulfull now. Soundstage also improved. Pads are the secret ingredient for this headphone, without a doubt.
:)

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #549 of 699
I've heard two m40x versions, one with harder pads and softer ones. The harder pads give the headphones a low midrange suckout and more bass and highs.

Apr 19, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #550 of 699
Where can I buy the softer official pads? I will try those. Surely that was the softer pads used by sonic sense to measure the M40x, it came out as the most neutral headphone among many others tested.

Apr 19, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #551 of 699
I bought the official m40x AT pads and they are listed as the same as the m50x pads. They are the soft ones but don't come with the inner foam so just use the inner foams from your old m40x pads inside the new pads.

Apr 19, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #552 of 699
Apr 19, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #553 of 699
I bought the official m40x AT pads and they are listed as the same as the m50x pads. They are the soft ones but don't come with the inner foam so just use the inner foams from your old m40x pads inside the new pads.
Has this actually improved the sound? I feel bad I didn't try the MDR 7506 pads on them- I thought the sound was colored pretty bad, I can't believe a change of pads will magically make them better. I tried the velour DT250 on them but they were like the same.

Apr 19, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #554 of 699
Everyone said the velour kill the bass and increase the treble. It is not recommended to use velour with this headphone.

Apr 19, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #555 of 699
There is a jungle of pads out there I am not sure which one. https://www.ebay.ca/itm/GENUINE-Rep...515281?hash=item1ca1325791:g:ZYwAAOSwFqNa1baG
This looks legit I am not sure if it is the softer version. If someone can help. Very appreciated.

Has this actually improved the sound? I feel bad I didn't try the MDR 7506 pads on them- I thought the sound was colored pretty bad, I can't believe a change of pads will magically make them better. I tried the velour DT250 on them but they were like the same.

My original pads are the same as these except that these didn't come with the inner foam. Some M40xs have harder pads which I have also tried that have that more V-shaped, midrange hollow signature.

1.jpg
2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back