Audio Technica ATH-M40x: The Little Brother that Could
Apr 19, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #556 of 699
Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #557 of 699
https://homestudiobasics.com/audio-technica-ath-m40x-vs-m50x-very-different/

The review here says:
  • The 40x’s have softer cushions, making them more comfortable.
softer than the m50x. That is SO CONFUSING! Now I am scared if I buy an official HP-m50x from japan, they will not be the same as the one people refer to in this thread and everywhere else.

I think I am gonna go with the HP-EP then, safer bet it seems.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #558 of 699
Apr 20, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #559 of 699
https://homestudiobasics.com/audio-technica-ath-m40x-vs-m50x-very-different/

The review here says:
  • The 40x’s have softer cushions, making them more comfortable.
softer than the m50x. That is SO CONFUSING! Now I am scared if I buy an official HP-m50x from japan, they will not be the same as the one people refer to in this thread and everywhere else.

I think I am gonna go with the HP-EP then, safer bet it seems.

lol they may have old stocks of the hard pads and put it on some 50xs as well then the m40x got the softer pads.

Apr 21, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #560 of 699
Apr 21, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #562 of 699
Soundstage, mids, treble quality are all brought up a couple of levels. Bass I'd say is about the same. The headphone attack and decay sounds a tad quicker with these pads, almost has a planar like quality imo. It is worthy upgrade, and I've tried numerous pads with these headphones.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #564 of 699
Here's a look at the roominess that will ensue after you get these sheepskin leather beauties on the m40x

DSC_0504.JPG

Apr 21, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #565 of 699
One more..

DSC_0505.JPG

Apr 21, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #566 of 699
If you're not afraid to spend, these are the best I've heard on the M40x: https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Sheepskin-Leather-Memory-Earpad/dp/B01J53KM32
When it comes to pads reviews are so confusing. Here the 3 stars review says:
These are really nice earpads. They feel good and silky smooth on my skin and they don't make my ears sweat. The issue is that the sound was altered in a bad way with these Brainwaves Sheepskin on my ATH-M40X headphones. They are so thick that the sound becomes quieter and a little hollow sounding to me. I ended up using the Shure840 earpads in the end because the sound was more open and clear while still giving good bass.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #567 of 699
Soundstage, mids, treble quality are all brought up a couple of levels. Bass I'd say is about the same. The headphone attack and decay sounds a tad quicker with these pads, almost has a planar like quality imo. It is worthy upgrade, and I've tried numerous pads with these headphones.

What are the other pads you have tried with the m40x so far? thank you for informing my lost soul.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #568 of 699
I beg to differ on the flatness of the M40x, they have no deal-braking colorations (for my taste) but are a far cry from neutrality (check here for measurements and possible modifications), I attribute the limited soundstage to the angled drivers, they move the stage slightly to the front sacrificing the depth and width that an enveloping soundstage provides. I rose the 2-6 KHz region by 5-6 dB using parametric EQ and found out it helps with imaging and depth, I also reduced the midbass by 3 dB. There's also some felt in front of the driver to tame the boosted highs which I found fatiguing (not piercing, just fatiguing). Otherwise the pair does sound good for the money and is a good package overall.

Raising the 2-6 Khz region is exactly what I would do with the stock hard pads. This M40x was surely measured with those pads on, I suppose. But his graph is crazy still:
ath-m40x.png

I tried to equalize my M40x with hard pads based on this graph (leveled at 95dB) and could not get any good results. The 300-1000Hz region that this graph suggest to increase gives a honky sound to my M40x. He might have gotten a bad pair.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #569 of 699
What are the other pads you have tried with the m40x so far? thank you for informing my lost soul.

I've tried the ZMF oval (it's angled), Brainvaves Sheepskin angled and of course the non-angled. I felt as the reviewer you quoted re the two angled pads mentioned.

Apr 22, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #570 of 699
I've tried the ZMF oval (it's angled), Brainvaves Sheepskin angled and of course the non-angled. I felt as the reviewer you quoted re the two angled pads mentioned.

The one you like the most are the non angled Brainwaves Sheepskin? and this is based on the sound quality alone, not how it looks?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back