Audio Technica ATH-M40x: The Little Brother that Could
Feb 7, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #526 of 699
One more question: I came across the PDF for solderdude's method of tweaking, and just wondering why more people haven't tried the SH 940 pads, for example. I see lots of mention of the 840 pads, but I don't think anyone is this thread has mentioned the 940 pads. And then the 2mm thick felt in front of the drivers. ??

Feb 10, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #528 of 699
They were actually first on my list. Before I found this thread, I found some comments on Reddit about those angled pads.

But then I found solderdude's pdf, and that he had measurements to go along with his tweaks, and subjective comments on how the tone changed, and I decided to start there. I got the 940 pads today, the felt should be here next week, and I'll try those first. Actually, since the angled pads are more different to just another set of different pads, maybe they'll be next!

Feb 10, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #529 of 699
the Shure 840 (and I assume 940??? not sure but I'd guess) pads certainly fit..but they do not fit that well I have Shure 840 earpads on my M50X's and it is quite easy to knock the ear pads off the headphones.. I do so once ~ twice every week or two.

personally I hated the brainwavz pads on my M50's change the sound too much and made headphone quite bulky / dorky looking (cared less about but changing the SQ was a deal breaker)

Feb 10, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #530 of 699
I saw the tip to use a hair braid band to keep them on there. :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #531 of 699
The Brainwaves Oval pads work really well with this headphone. Love my M40s. I've had and sold many headphones, but these always seem to stick with me.

Feb 14, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #532 of 699
personally I hated the brainwavz pads on my M50's change the sound too much and made headphone quite bulky / dorky looking (cared less about but changing the SQ was a deal breaker)
Agree, the earpads change too much of the sound I came to a period of not liking my M40x for a while when it's on. It's much more comfortable, sure, but the sound is not ideal IMO.
The Brainwaves Oval pads work really well with this headphone. Love my M40s. I've had and sold many headphones, but these always seem to stick with me.
I finally settled on just peeling away all the cracked pleather of the original earpads and make it more like a velour stock earpads... And we'll and behold I come to like my M40X again, the sound Imo doesn't change much from stock, other than losing a slight on isolation. Weird I thought it would be more of a drastic change.
I guess distance from the drive is quite important for this headphone.

Feb 18, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #533 of 699
I got a pair of these just recently, and while I like them, I think the bass needs to be tamed a little bit. (Really disliked the M50x's for that.)

I saw mention somewhere that the M40x's have different pads than the M50x, and if you put the M50x pads on the M40x, things improve. But then I can't figure out what exactly the stock pads are.

These:

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-HP-EP-Replacement-Pads-Headphones/dp/B00LICYRVW/

or

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-Au...ment-Ear-Pads-for-ATH-M50x-Pair-/361894849843

??

I have read through the thread, and I have seen all the pads mentioned, but I at least wanted to try and get this question answered first. Thanks!

I have an m40x and have owned two old m50s and have reviewed the m50x as well. The pad question was something I was also puzzled about and I just discovered after having a second m40x (A friend's) in the house that not all m40x pads are created equal. Maybe the one that wasn't mine was an older variant but it definitely had the harder pads unlike the one's on mine which are identical to m50x pads and the new replacement pads that I bought as well.

So far as the sound goes, The harder pads give a slightly more V-shaped sound compared to the softer ones. The m40x using the softer pads (identical to m50x pads) is the most natural sounding headphone in the group (against m50 vs m50x vs m40x hard pads) .

EDIT: Also want to add that the coiled cable makes the m40x sound slightly bassier and less controlled against the straight cables in the box. I believe I heard the same thing when I reviewed the m50x but I have to look back to that old review to make sure since I haven't had the m50x here for a while.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #534 of 699
I have an m40x and have owned two old m50s and have reviewed the m50x as well. The pad question was something I was also puzzled about and I just discovered after having a second m40x (A friend's) in the house that not all m40x pads are created equal. Maybe the one that wasn't mine was an older variant but it definitely had the harder pads unlike the one's on mine which are identical to m50x pads and the new replacement pads that I bought as well.

So far as the sound goes, The harder pads give a slightly more V-shaped sound compared to the softer ones. The m40x using the softer pads (identical to m50x pads) is the most natural sounding headphone in the group (against m50 vs m50x vs m40x hard pads) .

EDIT: Also want to add that the coiled cable makes the m40x sound slightly bassier and less controlled against the straight cables in the box. I believe I heard the same thing when I reviewed the m50x but I have to look back to that old review to make sure since I haven't had the m50x here for a while.

Cool. :D My M40x pads are relatively soft, and I was wondering about variations in the pads themselves, M50x & M40x.

To be honest, I'm still listening to them stock, to see if I need to mod anything. Don't have enough time on them yet, with familiar enough music! :wink:

Feb 20, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #535 of 699
I'm still trying to (slowly) stretch the headband out too. Getting there!

Mar 10, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #538 of 699
Hello, I have recently been given these m40x but with the headband broken and worn, I would like to replace it but I am looking and searching and nothing ... I only find for the m50x model, do you know if it is compatible with the m40x? I think they are exactly equal in size.

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #539 of 699
hmm... the M40x and M50x has different size of driver, thus their baffle size is different too, I never directly compare thesize side by side tho, so i might be wrong so I hope somebody else have clearer answer for you
IMG_1231_resize.jpg

Not mine but a pic from google

Mar 29, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #540 of 699
The DT250 ear pads are perforated on the back. While the M40x has a few big holes the DT250 have lots of small holes, but I think they do pretty much the same thing. I must stress that the change is sound is very subtle, and I would find it hard to believe that anyone would think it's for the worse. The strong bass is still there but it just sounds a little more airy and clear in a way that makes it easier the hear what's going on in the bass department. Anyway, good luck with the stretching-project, if it works that's of course the ideal solution to your problem.

I have the DT250 earpads and just bought the M40X, how do you use the felt covers? I mean you can use just the grey felt behind the stock pads, just the DT250 round black felt, or both; I was looking trough a light with them and they look the more similar with both the black and the grey stock cover; but I'm lazy to check if the sound is mostly the same. Also another thing I could do is cut the black cover of the stock earpads and put both on the DT250s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back