Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction
Dec 15, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #601 of 1,104
Just got my im02s today and had a quick listen before I had to head off to work. Compared to the im70 these sound much colder and thinner, bass impact is much less, mids are less forward and treble seems to have more emphasis and extension. They have a very detailed and analytical sound compared to the warmer more musical im70. So far im liking the im70 much more for general listening, the im02 just seems a bit too thin and neutral sounding for my tastes.

Update: After a bit of burn in and listening time i'm actually starting to like these im02s. The im70 is still much warmer sounding but the im02 is not as thin and cold sounding as it was out of the box. Balance, clarity and seperation are all better on the im02 and overall it sounds pretty good for its current price.

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #602 of 1,104
I've noticed a few reviewers compare the IM70's sound to the ATH-M50. I have the ATH-M50x and I feel that compared to the IM70 (out of the box), the well-burned in M50x has more recessed mids and soundstage not as "immersive" or 3D, but to its advantage its soundstage feels more well-spaced.

How much does the IM70's sound change after burn-in?

Dec 18, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #603 of 1,104
  I've noticed a few reviewers compare the IM70's sound to the ATH-M50. I have the ATH-M50x and I feel that compared to the IM70 (out of the box), the well-burned in M50x has more recessed mids and soundstage not as "immersive" or 3D, but to its advantage its soundstage feels more well-spaced.

I don't have the M50x, nor have I heard it, but the IM70 doesn't change at all. The only thing that changes the sound is tip rolling, and I would recommend some wider bore tips to open things up a bit. That said, I don't think you'll achieve the same separation and spacing of the M50 with the IM70, just based on my experience with over ears vs IEMs. 

Dec 18, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #604 of 1,104

No change after 100+ hours. Then again I'm a burn-in skeptic.

Dec 18, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #605 of 1,104

I own both the IM70 and the M50x. If you do an A/B between both, the M50x might appear to have more recessed mids, but that is primarily due to the midrange being forward on the IM70
biggrin.gif
. Soundstage is decent on the IM70 for an IEM, but I did not find it to be as "3D" as the larger M50x. That being said, your experiences may differ depending on the tips you are using for the IM70 as well as the level of seal you are achieving in your ears.

I did not notice any change in the IM70's after burn in.

Dec 18, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #606 of 1,104
Having both the IM70 and the M50 (not the X version, the old one), they do sound similar, but they're not the same. The IM70 varies too much depending on the tip you're using, and you get a richer soundstage from the IM70's. Overall, despite they sound similar, the IM70 is a lot better.

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #607 of 1,104
Yes i was a bit skeptical about the whole dual symphonic driver setup but i must say that for the price they sound fantastic. Great sound, great isolation, these do such a great job they're my go to portable now, gave away and sold off most of my other iems lol.

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #609 of 1,104
  Yes i was a bit skeptical about the whole dual symphonic driver setup but i must say that for the price they sound fantastic. Great sound, great isolation, these do such a great job they're my go to portable now, gave away and sold off most of my other iems lol.

Me too lol. What also keeps me using these as my portables is that the cable plugs very securely to the earpieces, so when i hang them around my neck I don't have to worry about losing them. This is unlike the conventional CIEM connectors (I think the new JH audio locking connector may be the exception), which I would definately not want to run around with hanging around my neck.

Dec 23, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #610 of 1,104
Just got my im02s today and had a quick listen before I had to head off to work. Compared to the im70 these sound much colder and thinner, bass impact is much less, mids are less forward and treble seems to have more emphasis and extension. They have a very detailed and analytical sound compared to the warmer more musical im70. So far im liking the im70 much more for general listening, the im02 just seems a bit too thin and neutral sounding for my tastes.

Update: After a bit of burn in and listening time i'm actually starting to like these im02s. The im70 is still much warmer sounding but the im02 is not as thin and cold sounding as it was out of the box. Balance, clarity and seperation are all better on the im02 and overall it sounds pretty good for its current price.

Hmm. I was this close in getting an IM02.

How would you describe the IM02 now? Is it still analytical?

Dec 24, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #611 of 1,104
  Hmm. I was this close in getting an IM02.

How would you describe the IM02 now? Is it still analytical?

Yeh its not as cold and analytical as it first seemed out of the box, I think my first impressions were due to a less than ideal seal. With a good seal it has a slight amount of warmth to it but nowhere near as much as the im70. Bass has decent impact and comes across much more tight and defined. The mids do not sound quite as forward as the im70 but sound more natural to my ears. The highs have more detail and clarity and notes sound more defined and crisp without being too sibilant.
Overall i'd say the im70 is more musical where as the im02 more accurate and natural sounding.
The only issue i do have is the insertion depth is shorter on the im02 compared to the im70. I have no issues getting a good seal with the medium im70 tips but even with the largest eartips i barely get a good seal with the im02 and moving my head around often breaks the seal and i lose bass or vocals seem to skew to one side. I do have larger than average ears tho.

Dec 24, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #612 of 1,104
  Yeh its not as cold and analytical as it first seemed out of the box, I think my first impressions were due to a less than ideal seal. With a good seal it has a slight amount of warmth to it but nowhere near as much as the im70. Bass has decent impact and comes across much more tight and defined. The mids do not sound quite as forward as the im70 but sound more natural to my ears. The highs have more detail and clarity and notes sound more defined and crisp without being too sibilant.
Overall i'd say the im70 is more musical where as the im02 more accurate and natural sounding.
The only issue i do have is the insertion depth is shorter on the im02 compared to the im70. I have no issues getting a good seal with the medium im70 tips but even with the largest eartips i barely get a good seal with the im02 and moving my head around often breaks the seal and i lose bass or vocals seem to skew to one side. I do have larger than average ears tho.

Maybe you should try adding a cut up piece of any unused IEM tips bore behind the current tip you are using. It allowed me to get a proper seal, stopped it from sliding out of my ears, and removed the vacuum sensation in my ears.
biggrin.gif

Dec 24, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #613 of 1,104
Maybe you should try adding a cut up piece of any unused IEM tips bore behind the current tip you are using. It allowed me to get a proper seal, stopped it from sliding out of my ears, and removed the vacuum sensation in my ears. :D

Thanks for the tip. I actually ended up returning them. The seal issues were annoying me and i just dont find them to be any better than the im70 for what i need them for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back