Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction
Jan 3, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #631 of 1,104
so who knows a good seller? and how does warranty work with import items? 

J-Made on Amazon is a good seller if they still have them. I ordered mine from them.

Jan 17, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #632 of 1,104
Hi.
I love this IM70 
biggrin.gif

coming from VSD1, at first I was somewhat surprised by how the treble sounds so ... muffled.
...but as I lurk here, i found out that it depends on the tips 
wink_face.gif

so I put GR02's wide-bore S tips on it, and bingo it sounds way better. 
biggrin.gif

I even love this IM70 better than my M-50.

well, that being said, i need to put some tapes on the neck of the earpiece to prevent the tips from being pushed backwards. cz i find it too uncomfortable if i use it as it is. 
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Jan 17, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #633 of 1,104
Hi.

I love this IM70 :D

coming from VSD1, at first I was somewhat surprised by how the treble sounds so ... muffled.
...but as I lurk here, i found out that it depends on the tips :wink_face:  

so I put GR02's wide-bore S tips on it, and bingo it sounds way better. :D

well, that being said, i need to put some tapes on the neck of the earpiece to prevent the tips from being pushed backwards. cz i find it too uncomfortable if i use it as it is. :D

:beerchug:

Awesome ! Yeah IM70 is outstanding, very natural and organic with warm signature, good soundstage.

Jan 17, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #634 of 1,104
  Hi.
I love this IM70 
biggrin.gif

...but as I lurk here, i found out that it depends on the tips 
wink_face.gif

so I put GR02's wide-bore S tips on it, and bingo it sounds way better. 
biggrin.gif

well, that being said, i need to put some tapes on the neck of the earpiece to prevent the tips from being pushed backwards. cz i find it too uncomfortable if i use it as it is. 
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

man you are making the wait for my Im70 seem like FOREVER!!!! ordered it on the 4th.. My VSD1 broke cause of cheap quality so I went with ATH this time around..

hope we have the same exact impressions and ill be so pumped

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #635 of 1,104
Added my impressions of the ATH-IM70 (and others) to my brief review thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/746615/legend-r-vs-k10-brief-review-thread-and-50-others-incl-customart-harmony-8-hidition-nt-6-and-aaw-w500

Very impressed. I bought a pair, will be including them in my sub-$300 IEM shootout.

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #636 of 1,104
  Added my impressions of the ATH-IM70 (and others) to my brief review thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/746615/legend-r-vs-k10-brief-review-thread-and-50-others-incl-customart-harmony-8-hidition-nt-6-and-aaw-w500

Very impressed. I bought a pair, will be including them in my sub-$300 IEM shootout.

wow these are rated high for me only paying $96 shipped

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #637 of 1,104
  wow these are rated high for me only paying $96 shipped

My ratings are independent of price, too. I typically shop in the TOTL space, but there are some awesome phones out there now for cheap. I was stunned when I saw the price of these phones.

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #638 of 1,104
  My ratings are independent of price, too. I typically shop in the TOTL space, but there are some awesome phones out there now for cheap. I was stunned when I saw the price of these phones.

i just hope the build quality is a lot better then my cheap vsd1s :frowning2: I know it has removable cables but its uses ATH connectors so would probably still be expensive to replace if they do fail

Jan 17, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #639 of 1,104
i just hope the build quality is a lot better then my cheap vsd1s :frowning2: I know it has removable cables but its uses ATH connectors so would probably still be expensive to replace if they do fail

They dont fail easily...they are a pita to take the cable out/in from the connectors. Make sure if you do, you have the right cable to the right bud...because you can do it in reverse too.....conectors got damage this way according to the few existed posts i have came by....so becareful. Otherwise, it is solid

The build quality is very solid, good looking....unless shiny red is not your thing....but it look more expensive than IM50.

Jan 17, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #640 of 1,104

A replacement cable (AT-HDC1) costs around 50$ online.

Build quality is good. They do get a bit loose from the connector over time BUT they are a snap-on design so I doubt it will come off easily.(very hard to pull them off the cable to begin with)

Make sure if you do, you have the right cable to the right bud...because you can do it in reverse too.....conectors got damage this way according to the few existed posts i have came by....so becareful. Otherwise, it is solid

The tip of the cable for the right channel is red while the left cable is black..

Overall I don't mind the sound from the stock tips, but my left ear doesn't like the fit but now I've learned you need to push the housing inward. Not really a fan of the pushed-back design because wide-bore tips will have a hard time fitting in.

Jan 17, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #641 of 1,104
Awesome ! Yeah IM70 is outstanding, very natural and organic with warm signature, good soundstage.

yea man, really. but i kinda surprised on how much the tips can affect the sound. 
biggrin.gif

man you are making the wait for my Im70 seem like FOREVER!!!! ordered it on the 4th.. My VSD1 broke cause of cheap quality so I went with ATH this time around..

hope we have the same exact impressions and ill be so pumped

wow, we have a very similar background then.
biggrin.gif

once you are used to the IM70 you'll find VSD1's treble to be very harsh (or sibilant, i dunno the exact word, but i'm sure you'll experience it shortly, aye?
wink_face.gif
 ).
but remember, it all depends on the right tips. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #642 of 1,104

yea man, really. but i kinda surprised on how much the tips can affect the sound. 
biggrin.gif

wow, we have a very similar background then.
biggrin.gif

once you are used to the IM70 you'll find VSD1's treble to be very harsh (or sibilant, i dunno the exact word, but i'm sure you'll experience it shortly, aye?
wink_face.gif
 ).
but remember, it all depends on the right tips. 
biggrin.gif

The IM70 has a very smooth sound. If you're not used to this type of approach you may think it's veiled. The treble is not sparkly, yes, but that's the signature its going for.

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #644 of 1,104
yea man, really. but i kinda surprised on how much the tips can affect the sound. :D

wow, we have a very similar background then. :D
once you are used to the IM70 you'll find VSD1's treble to be very harsh (or sibilant, i dunno the exact word, but i'm sure you'll experience it shortly, aye? :wink_face:  ).
but remember, it all depends on the right tips. :D

Absolutely, the tips do in a major way. Generally speaking, anything seals better and denser will transmit more bass, sometime you may miss the details from highs due to the bass is bumped up....and anything silicone with hollow body will reduce bass, and reduced bass will result in more highs and mids to rub your ears drum.

I personally like comply tips. I found T500 to be perfect for the IM70 if you like a lot of bass, rumbling bass. If not stock silicon tips are good enough if it fit

Jan 18, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #645 of 1,104
Absolutely, the tips do in a major way. Generally speaking, anything seals better and denser will transmit more bass, sometime you may miss the details from highs due to the bass is bumped up....and anything silicone with hollow body will reduce bass, and reduced bass will result in more highs and mids to rub your ears drum.

I personally like comply tips. I found T500 to be perfect for the IM70 if you like a lot of bass, rumbling bass. If not stock silicon tips are good enough if it fit

I found the complys very comfortable but I actually preferred the stock tips. I don't find the highs rolled off but just laid-back, and there's no harsh sibilance. Bass is very balanced and not elevated, while the mids are forward and definitely sound "organic" as others here have described. Really love the sound, was struck at how "realistic" they sounded even with a remix (Michael Jackson DMC Megaremix). My M50x sounds a bit sibilant compared to them :X

Some users here say you need extensions or tape for wide-bore tips, can anyone show what this look like? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back