Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction
Dec 4, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #586 of 1,104
From above, I can safely conclude that few IM70 users uses the stock tips and most would prefer other tips that suit them well. I finally got good fit with one; the big bore eliminates the shrill and improve the isolation. Ring extension made from the stem of Sony hybrid tips were put to improve its soundstage and isolation. I think Im70 needs tip-rolling for quite some time and the result is very rewarding. 

Dec 6, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #589 of 1,104
Yeah, Tried stock regular, double flange, comply(base T series) and I don't notice much difference in sound with different tips. As usual Comply is most comfortable. Seal wise they all work about the same for me. Just wish they aren't that pricey to replace or at least made a lot more easily available.

Dec 6, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #592 of 1,104
Depends on how high end we're speaking of. They're definitely good, but I dont think they can punch ten times their weight.

Yeah, that is understandable.  I would love to have someone to weight these on a scale compare to other pairs and say how much these are worth up to.  You know ? Kinda like a ball park for it.

Dec 6, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #593 of 1,104
  Yeah, that is understandable.  I would love to have someone to weight these on a scale compare to other pairs and say how much these are worth up to.  You know ? Kinda like a ball park for it.

Well, they were originally around $120 or $150 and I think that kind of price would be fair value for them. They're in that tier of the GR07BE, EPH-100, etc. I think they're behind things like the DN1000, CKR9, etc. $80 for sub $150 quality is definitely a great deal. 

Dec 6, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #594 of 1,104
I got the SONY hybrid tips in today, and I'm sorry to say that I'm not the biggest fan of them. They're good tips, but the sizing runs a tad too small. The largest size does not provide a good seal. I matched them up side my side with my assortment of other large tips and they're about .5mm to .75mm smaller in diameter. Don't buy these if you have wide ear canals.

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #595 of 1,104
  I got the SONY hybrid tips in today, and I'm sorry to say that I'm not the biggest fan of them. They're good tips, but the sizing runs a tad too small. The largest size does not provide a good seal. I matched them up side my side with my assortment of other large tips and they're about .5mm to .75mm smaller in diameter. Don't buy these if you have wide ear canals.

Try having ear canals of vastly different sizes. My Left is medium-large and right is small. Makes buying any custom/replacement tips annoying. Someone needs to make a premium silicone tip company 
tongue.gif

I think it's sort of hard to move upwards without spending a fair bit more with the IM70. Especially seeing that IEMs like CKR9 and DN 1000 while cost more and sound better do not have detachable cables if you desire to retain such features. Of course, some might view detachable cables as a negative.

I also try to upgrade my phones around the same nozzle fit so that I can swap buds if needed.

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #596 of 1,104
  Try having ear canals of vastly different sizes. My Left is medium-large and right is small. Makes buying any custom/replacement tips annoying. Someone needs to make a premium silicone tip company 
tongue.gif

I think it's sort of hard to move upwards without spending a fair bit more with the IM70. Especially seeing that IEMs like CKR9 and DN 1000 while cost more and sound better do not have detachable cables if you desire to retain such features. Of course, some might view detachable cables as a negative.

I also try to upgrade my phones around the same nozzle fit so that I can swap buds if needed.

Well, at least you can use 2 pairs of tips when you buy a kit that has an assortment of sizes. haha As for detachable cables, they're pretty much a must when I purchase IEMs that are over $300. A majority of IEMs are put out of service by cable failure and it would be annoying to lose a pair of expensive headphones due to that reason. The ability to upgrade your IEM via aftermaket cables is a plus.

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #597 of 1,104
  Well, at least you can use 2 pairs of tips when you buy a kit that has an assortment of sizes. haha As for detachable cables, they're pretty much a must when I purchase IEMs that are over $300. A majority of IEMs are put out of service by cable failure and it would be annoying to lose a pair of expensive headphones due to that reason. The ability to upgrade your IEM via aftermaket cables is a plus.

I agree that most headphones fail at the cable, but nothing good care can't solve. But in the event that they do fail then it is welcome and yes I can certainly see the appeal of replacing cables for upwards of pricey IEM.

However reading this thread, it seems like a few people have their pin damaged (and they do look really fragile) which makes it just about as pointless when it's there in the first place to mitigate cable damage. That said if it $20 to revive a pair of headphones like the IM-70 is probably worth it but personally I prefer the company to offer 2-5 year warranty rather than/on top of switchable cables for pricey IEMs. I know my CX-300 II has 2 years warranty and my first pair broke after some 20 months. No reason why anything that cost more than that couldn't offer the same.

I have yet to see aftermarket cables with decent built. At least not for the IM series. Most of them appear to have terrible stress relief, straight jack(I prefer 90 degrees for portable set ups), lousy Y-split and guide sleeve or a combination of the aforementioned. I for one am skeptical that 5N or 7N purity of cable will improve sound or whatever. It might be more durable (less prone to corrosion), but that's about it IMO. On the other hand, they're not too expensive to replace. Unless you bought the $70 version.

Dec 11, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #599 of 1,104
Just got my pair today and i must say out of the box i'm quite impressed with them. Coming down from the Shure SE846 to these is not as big a drop in sound quality as i'd expected, they sound very natural, very pleasant to my ears and overall just fantastic considering their price!
They can't match the deep, weighty, visceral bass of the se846s nor the buttery smooth mids but surprisingly they do sound a little more airey on the top end and the soundstage seems slightly wider and deeper. I also find them more comfortable which is usually the make or break point for me when it comes to iems.
I also have a pair of audio technicas ath-im02 iems coming soon so it will be interesting to see how they compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back