Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread
Nov 10, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #241 of 1,113
I don't know, I actually bought those velour pads for my JVC S500 headphone to try to improve them according to the S500 thread, it did improve them but the sound still fell short for me, especially compared to the ES10, so I'm disappointed in the performance of the S500 and never use it, but I still love the JVC FXD80 (IEM).

At some point I decided to try the velour pads on my ES10 and they fit perfectly, so I just assumed the ESW9 listed in the ebay advertisement had the exact same dimensions.

I looked very closely at the size of the aftermarket velour pads and the ES10 pads, since they are the same dimensions and the cloth material of the grille is pretty similar (it's like a very thin sock versus a stocking), I'm actually a little perplexed at how the velour alone in identical dimensions can reduce the bass frequencies so much.

At another time when I listened to a mint ES10 quickly in a store, it sounded so different to mine I took my own ES10 there the next day, it was only when I pushed the cups closer to my head on the mint ES10 I could feel assured they were actually the same headphone (not a secret version 2 or something).  The mint ES10 with stiffer pads sounded a lot thinner.

With the new velour pad switch I can't say it sounds perfect since it's a little more misty now with less contrast and I miss the feel of leather, but the velour is very comfortable and the sound has become more addictive and suitable for extended sessions.

Nov 14, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #245 of 1,113
You should try the velours.  I don't find them perfect either, however it adjusts the ES10 to more of an exalted CK10, without the Ultrasone-ness, and still exudes ethereality akin to A2000X.

The ES10 is missing the highest octave clarity and is a bit hazy in the mids, which gives it a nice unique character.  It's satisfyingly source transparent (unlike CK10 and T5p) and has a lot of sustain in the notes, similar to T5p, unlike CK10 which is all attack and release, unlike A2x which is fairly thin.

Yup, Audio Technica flagships are expensive but at least we're not into flagship speakers and Onkyo receivers.

Nov 14, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #248 of 1,113
'really good'? No, but quite usable, yes. You can even do pretty well with Centrance 2504 which are 700$. But speakers are tricky business: loads with speakers are no laughing matter and amps quite buggers. Lower end KEF Q series can be had maybe for around that price. I live in Japan so prices are different (much much higher). Pro Audio make some stuff that is in that range, but... the synergy between elements gets pretty tricky. 

For bookshelf speakers, the Q300 series is a favourite for the price despite sort of mismatching my taste in headphones.

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #249 of 1,113
Kiteki, I think these may be a nice alternative to the ESW9 pads:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leather-Ear-Cushion-Pads-Audio-technica-ESW9-ESW10-ES10-ES7-Black-NEW-/160828454375?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D3480697931176182420%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D160828454375%26

Here are their dimensions:

They're from the UK, but I contacted the seller, and they were willing to ship to the US. It turned out to be around $11.40 (shipping included) after everything is said and done.

I can't keep "stealing" the earpads from my ESW9 forever, after all. Will let you know how they do when they arrive.

I returned things to the way they were for now, and wow... I'm already missing the soundstage and comfort of the lambskin earpads. My ES10 still sounds very good, but now it feels like something is missing.

Nov 19, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #250 of 1,113
Got the ES10 today after 1.5 years of contemplation, my only comment is why I did not buy this last year! I got this from their actual shop and was able to negotiate a great deal! Plugged it right into the nano 7th generation and it runs just great, no amp needed :-S

Connected to Rocco BA, I think the treble sounds better in BA and the bass is some what more tighter. Freaking so happy with it! I might be selling my Fidelio M1 and XBA-4 soon. 

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #252 of 1,113
Quote:
How do they compare in resolution/detail against uhmm triple/quad-driver IEM's?
But man, they are expensive in the eu. 425€(550USD) lowest price...

The only Quad I own is XBA-4 and easily the ES10 are better than them without even thinking about it twice. They have a nice extended bass and I really like them paired with my bright sources. However they will be a little too much to handle if you source is warm(eg my ipod 5.5 and hm-601 was a little too warm for my taste but great result with rocoo BA). Great soundstage, really wide for an on-ear!

They have nice highs and great mids, it can make a nice all rounder for many folks out there without any major issues however they are not "audiophile" grade, meaning they lack that crispness and that excellent tight bass. The bass has nice impact but it feels loss. They are really nice with pop/trance music and I think for such genre this can are second to none. I dont really like it with jazz, it lacks that crisspness that I like hear when the cymbal is hit.

As far as the price goes negotiate, that is what I did. I got my unit for 350, if you can get them for 350 and lower they are worth it, they are not really worth it for more than that. Bring in the fact that they are an old headphone, maybe that helps.

Nov 19, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #253 of 1,113
Cheapest i could find them for six months ago was just over $400. Just barely worth that price. Still nice to have, better sound than the esw9-more full, if you don't mind strong bass emphasis.

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #255 of 1,113
Usually iPod to fostex hp-p1 but I have tried it with my home system too and it sounds significantly better. Home system is macbookpro-dhc high end USB cable-The Diverter USB to coax converter-heavily modified psaudio Digital Link-blue dragon rcas-Zana Deux amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back