Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread
Sep 6, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #198 of 1,113
are the es10s akin to a bigger, bolder es7? i've a certain fondness for the es7 as, while it's a bit coarse and colored, it rocks! the esw9, while more refined than the 7, was also a bit too polite, and with it's colorations i never found it particularly satisfying. the esw10 seemed like a somewhat more polished esw9, but for that privilege they grossly overpriced it!. i get the feeling that if one was a fan of the es7, the es10 should have a bit more of everything that make those such an enjoyable, if non-neutral listen. well every AT i've ever heard is not neutral. the most expensive ones have often had a tendency to be particularly disappointing, eg w5000 & l3000, though some of the ltd woodies may get a pass. for a big, expensive, colored can one of my faves has been the extraordinary jvc dx1000 which i've found much more satisfying than either the l3000 or ultrasone ed.9.

Sep 8, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #199 of 1,113
Well, I think "bolder" ES7 is a nice way to put it, but still... not quite.

The ES10 is... a lot more satisfying to me than ES7. I think it's closer to a "even more enhanced, more detailed" ESW9 to me than something that grew from the ES7. I haven't heard ESW10, so I can't really comment, but... I can definitely feel the similarities between ES10 and ESW9.

My general impression of the ES10 is that it "borrowed" the warmth of the ESW9, and some (not all) of the liquid smooth midrange. It didn't try to cover up flaws like the ESW9. Instead, it revealed more and showed off more. Then it brought on its own signature of bass, added some details and sparkles, and laid them all out in front like a meticulously sculpted work of art.

What I found amazing, though, was that somehow, the ES10 knew exactly when to channel its energy. It doesn't peak like my other brighter headphones. As a result, I can enjoy listening at high volume without sibilance. But it still doesn't sound veiled. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it sounds like 8K to 10K response oscillates between (revealing) and (suppressing) depending on the track. It does miss sometimes and make some tracks sound overly dark, but it has never let any sibilance pass.

They're not exactly bright, but not exactly dark, in other words. I think the apt description is more that... they are just bright enough and dark enough.

Sep 8, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #200 of 1,113
Yeah, for me it is like my esw9 with a fuller sound due to bigger drivers and a lot of added bass added to the same sound signature.  Otherwise the only drawback is that they don't use those yummy lambskin earpads for some reason.  I mean they are more expensive and i assumed considered higher end by AT but they use the fake leather that kinda bothers my ears.  Wish i could buy better pads for them.

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #201 of 1,113
are they overly bassy?

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #202 of 1,113
I thought so at first, but they had the most significant burn in I have ever heard from a headphone. I would have thought it was my ears burning in except for the fact that they are only one of four portable phones that I use. Bass tightened up and generally sound seemed to get more balanced.

Sep 20, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #204 of 1,113
hi friends of the audio technicas!

I am  a bit tempted to get these but I was thinking two things: modding them a little... and hmm, is the bass a bit overwhelming for someone who thinks ESW9 is a bit too bassy?
anyhow... mods I was thinking of are internal dampening mod to tighten up the bass hopefully? maybe reducing it a bit. and changing the pads to velour, if there are any that fit. I am not a huge fan of the pleather/leather. and kind of hoping the bass would reduce a bit by doing so, however it MIGHT increase the treble also, which is not that great.

redface.gif

Sep 20, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #207 of 1,113
Quote:
If you think ESW9 is a bit too bassy, then these will be very overwhelming.

I don't think you can "tighten" bass anymore as it's already lean and fast as it is. It just hits really really hard.

Exactly why I currently have my es10 up on the FS forum. Waaay too much bass. Almost boomy.

Sep 20, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #209 of 1,113
Quote:

Exactly why I currently have my es10 up on the FS forum. Waaay too much bass. Almost boomy.

Funny thing is... I actually tried a bass boost amp with the ES10.

It didn't get any more boom, but it did hit even harder. At times, it hit so hard that I had a feeling something inside should have been broken.

Sep 29, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #210 of 1,113
I finally got a JDSLabs C421 with AD8620 in today. Being that my iPhone 4 seems a bit underpowered to drive the ES10 (the difference is audible compared to my MacBook), I wanted to see if I can get more audio quality on the go.

And wow, what a difference that makes. C421 with ES10 has very good synergy IMO. ES10 sounds cleaner, smoother, more spacious, more resolving, and with less bass bloat but still retaining the same impact. It really "lightens" the whole presentation, but still leaves enough body to make a convincing projection. I thought the ES10 sounded even better than my old DT880 600 Ohm unamped, but now with the C421, it just boosted to another level. The difference is also appreciable on my MacBook.

This is amazing. I'm falling more in love with my ES10!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back