Audio Technica ATH-AD900x Impressions Thread
May 13, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #214 of 250
I really want to buy the AD900x as a present for a friend but have nowhere to listen to them first hand! I own the AKG K702, would anybody be able to compare the two pairs of cans for me? Or suggest anything better?

(The friend who I'm buying the present for listens to classical music and has no amp. His previous cans were Sennheiser HD570)

May 13, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #216 of 250
  I really want to buy the AD900x as a present for a friend but have nowhere to listen to them first hand! I own the AKG K702, would anybody be able to compare the two pairs of cans for me? Or suggest anything better?

(The friend who I'm buying the present for listens to classical music and has no amp. His previous cans were Sennheiser HD570)

For classical music and no amp, there's not much better you can do in the price range. 

May 13, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #218 of 250
Awesome! Thank you very much for your help! And is there anything you might recommend that's more expensive, as I don't mind spending more, or should I stick with these? (Bearing in mind no amp...unfortunately.)

The AD2000X is more detailed, with a tad more warmth, so the legend goes. Never tested it myself personally. It should be at or just under $500. I've heard the relationship between the 900X and 2000X is like the HD600 and HD650 respectively, but again, just what I've heard. 

I don't know of many open cans that won't need an amp to sound their best at the $250+ range. To get the best sounds, they need a lot of resistance/power and with high resistance comes the need for an amp. 

May 14, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #219 of 250

The AD2000X is more detailed, with a tad more warmth, so the legend goes. Never tested it myself personally. It should be at or just under $500. I've heard the relationship between the 900X and 2000X is like the HD600 and HD650 respectively, but again, just what I've heard. 

I don't know of many open cans that won't need an amp to sound their best at the $250+ range. To get the best sounds, they need a lot of resistance/power and with high resistance comes the need for an amp.    ​I

I have the AD1000X which is said to be very very similar in sound to the AD2000X, some people have trouble telling them apart. My AD900X got damaged and I bought the AD1000X. I'm going to get the AD900X fixed at some point. I feel that the AD900X has less bass so it seems more mid-centric. However I haven't heard both on my current setup which is a Little Dot 1+ with upgraded tubes and op amp. I can tell you that amplification makes a huge improvement. The AD1000X had great bass on my vintage receiver, particularly with the "loudness" switch engaged. With the Little Dot I have less bass but the soundstage is amazing! With stock tubes the soundstage was constrained, It sounded like miniature and sitting on my shoulders. With upgraded tubes and op amp it's now all around my head and bigger. It's not expansive or huge, but it's very 3d and immersive. I'm going to try the Burson Audio V5 op amp and a few other tubes to bring back a bit more bass but that's about the only thing I want to change. I'm also using Audeze microsuede pads which are way more comfortable than stock.

May 17, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #220 of 250
These are $129 at BuyDig.com with coupon PROTUNEThey also include a Vudu $30 Voucher & 3 Months of Rhapsody Premium with purchase. They have a good return policy also, no restocking fees if you don't like the sound.

Jun 15, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #221 of 250
Anyone recable these? Ive now owned these for about 6 months and there's already a problem with the end tip of the cable - i.e. if I spin it around in my amp the sound changes (volume, tone etc.) Annoying as hell.

I have no idea if I can send these to audio technica on warranty as Im located in canada and bought these off a seller on amazon..

Jun 15, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #222 of 250
I've done a detachable cable mod, so it would be pretty similar, but in more easy as you only need to change the cable and not try to put an audio jack. http://www.head-fi.org/t/798199/how-to-ath-ad900x-detachable-cable-mod-ath-adxxxx-and-what-not-to-do#post_12426726 But good luck contacting the contact of A-T in Canada because once I contacted them for something and they just never replied. And if you contact the US contact they will redirect you to the Canadian contact. Maybe it was bad luck this time you can always try. http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/site/f7278a7f5c6f7dff/index.html/index.html But ya also look maybe if you can exchange it with amazon maybe.

Jun 15, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #223 of 250
Thank you! I've done some simple work on my Beyer Dt990's (detachable cable) but this one makes me nervous..

Could I ship my pair to you and pay you to do it for me?? :p

Thanks again.

Jun 15, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #224 of 250
  Thank you! I've done some simple work on my Beyer Dt990's (detachable cable) but this one makes me nervous..

Could I ship my pair to you and pay you to do it for me?? :p

Thanks again.

A dremel and soldering iron is all you need. It took me maybe 20 mins to do it. The plug is 5 bucks on amazon. And you don't need a schematic, just cut the stock cable with 4 inches or more of length, pull the cover off the cord and solder that to the plug. Attach, screw it in, grind the chrome cover and plate a lil and yer done.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/659504/audio-technica-ath-ad900x-impressions-thread/165#post_12312489

Users who are viewing this thread

Back