Audio Technica ATH-AD900x Impressions Thread
Feb 5, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #181 of 250
  nice sharing bro @thesmokingman .
Quick question, is there any difference in SQ after you mod the ad900x ?

It's hard to say without AB listening to them which is not easy to do now. However judging from the stock cable's cheapness, any premium cable would be an improvement. Then there's the incredibly annoying stock cable memory, it's worth it to replace on that factor alone.

Feb 5, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #182 of 250
I just put the Brainwavz hm5 velour pads on my ad1000x that I had on my ad900x and wow! The ad900x just seems to lack much bass extension or impact at all but the ad1000x is much better. With stock pads the ad1000x has a bit too much bloat in the midbass, the hm5 pads space my ears further away and seem to help this issue and bring up the lower bass more since it isn't masked by the midbass now. Also soundstage is a bit better though not huge or anything, it was a bit claustrophobic before. I have no issues with bass anymore, sounds great even out of my cheap laptop and listening to youtube vids. Can't wait to get a proper amp/dac and lossless files.

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #183 of 250

I modded my ad900x for a detachable cable. I really hated the stock cable, too long and way too much cable memory. That said, it was actually very easy since the cable hole matches the 3.5mm socket I used perfectly. I didn't have to drill the cans, just clearance the chromed plastic cover and the driver plate. You can see this in the last picture. It took maybe 20 minutes to do this:

I've been thinking of doing it since quite a time, but you finally convince me to do so. And if there is anyone else interested to do a detachable cable also, I've done an how-to for them here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/798199/how-to-ath-ad900x-detachable-cable-mod-ath-adxxxx-and-what-not-to-do

Mar 1, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #184 of 250
I just ordered these for 120! There was a front page deal on one of those deal sites. Can't wait.

Now my only question is why does it take Fedex 5 days to deliver from a place that is a 1.5 hour drive from me?!?!

Apr 3, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #185 of 250
Hello all,

I don't post here all that often but I have had my AD900x for about a week now and I just wanted to share some of my impressions. First, I do a lot of gaming with these headphones and the soundstage is absolutely gigantic as well as precise. In games like Black Ops 3 it is easy to pinpoint where enemy footsteps are coming from and in Fallout 4 you can tell when there is a Feral Ghoul on the floor above you. Games like the FFX HD Remaster also benefit as they have a lovely soundtrack which the AD900x reproduces very clearly.

I do not own many types of headphones but I wanted a new set after having used the same Sennheiser HD558s for over two years. For a long time I was considering simply upgrading to the HD598 but I performed the black rubber tape mod on my 558s and found that many people thought it made them sound very similar to the 598s.

Either way I looked around and already knew of Audio Technica (particularly the older AD700) being highly recommended for games. The AD900x seemed like a great purchase after doing some research and the only thing that concerned me was perhaps the highs would be too bright as that is something I am very sensitive to (first thing I hated about the Beyer DT880 after only having them on for about 15 minutes). After having these cans for about a week I can still notice the highs being somewhat fatiguing but they seem to fit in well with the range of the AD900x.

These headphones also sound ok when plugged directly into the PS4's controller port but perform much better when driven by my Yamaha receiver with Silent Cinema.

Apr 3, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #186 of 250
These headphones also sound ok when plugged directly into the PS4's controller port but perform much better when driven by my Yamaha receiver with Silent Cinema.

I would plug my ATH-A900X (closed) into my Yamaha, but because of impedance issues they could not get very loud.
But if your having good luck plugging the AD900X into your Yamaha, cool!

Apr 3, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #187 of 250
I had to return my AD900x. I have a pretty small head and had a huge gap at the top of the ear pads. The rubber band mod requires too much tension to get a seal. I did stuff the pads with cotton which provided a seal but it was just crap IMO. I don't understand why AT can't just allow the cups to swivel vertically.

Apr 4, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #190 of 250

Hello  It sounds boomy when compared with Grados

I keep scratching my head how one could consider these boomy. The bass energy with ad900x is hardly what I would consider excessive, more like the opposite. I'd say there is a decent amount of bass for a fully open can but it's no where near boomtastic, it's not a bass lovers headphone.

Apr 4, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #191 of 250
It's lean but not really lacking, depends on your music preferences. My AD1000x has noticeably more midbass. The Grados all have a midbass bump and then response falls off a cliff with no low bass at all.

Apr 4, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #192 of 250
Also, it always bothered me how so many people downplay the need for a good amp. Sure it doesn't need much power, but the quality difference is huge between a good amp. I mostly use my AD1000x these days as my AD900x needs repaired. But they improved massively when I got a Little Dot1+ and improved a bunch more when I upgraded the op-amp and tubes. As well an a huge increase in comfort with Audeze micro-suede pads.

Apr 4, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #193 of 250

I keep scratching my head how one could consider these boomy. The bass energy with ad900x is hardly what I would consider excessive, more like the opposite. I'd say there is a decent amount of bass for a fully open can but it's no where near boomtastic, it's not a bass lovers headphone.

Thanks for all the replies--I appreciate it. It sounds to me a little like the way people talk about the HD598 bass--on the lighter side but not so thin that it interferes with enjoyment of the music (for most people, at least). Thinking about ordering an AD900x now.

Apr 15, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #194 of 250
Just got mine in, and I think they're great. In fact these are what I wanted the K-701 to be so long ago. They have a great wide 3d soundstage, comfortable, and light, very light. Plus I cant get over how huge the drivers are.

Source is a iPhone 6+, no amp direct drive from iPhone.

Arch Enemy- War Eternal: This song really show's the headphone's speed. They have a fast attack that keeps up with the song, and you hear every instrument being used. Alyssa White-Gluz's vocals are present in your face, and with full authority. The bass rumble of the track shines through
L3000.gif
, and molds into the song. Doesn't over power, but isn't faint or distant.

Tristania- Libre; Really brings out the percussion capability of these cans, lead vocals are front, and center. Then all of the sudden Vibeke Stene is surrounding you, it's bone chilling. Østen Bergøy's vocals are captured fully, and as deep as live.
atsmile.gif

Azad- Auge Des Sturms: simply used as a bass test track. The AD900x keeps the thunder like bass track intact, and handles it well
L3000.gif
. Vocals once again are crisp, and clear.

Wendy Rule- Hecate: Drums beat out with accuracy I havnt heard yet
atsmile.gif
. Where other cans kind of smooth them over a lot, on the AD900X it's full, and true. The strings sound so real, so vibrant, and in come's Wendy's voice. Not too muddy, not too sharp. Just right.

Five Finger Death Punch-Wash it all away: This song makes you think there's people talking behind you with the AD900x, little voices are sprinkled throughout the song at various spots behind you. Once again the attack, and slam is in full authority.

Mr. Criminal-Drop it-n-rock it: another bass test song. These can go low. Real low, and deep.
L3000.gif

Jurassic Park T-Rex escape scene: This is one good test of the bass capabilities, almost subwoofer like
L3000.gif
. 3d thunder, sounds likes you're actually in a storm, and well they accurately present the stomp of a f-ing T-Rex.

Fleetwood Mac- Gold Dust Woman: The AD900x really brings out this song. So many different layers and textures flow out, and just blend just right. Stevie Knick's voice is not muffled, nor too erm sharp. The combination of instruments and voices in this song on these just really play with your head, and the howl at the end of the song sends chills down the spine. Fleetwood Mac as a whole on this can is a treat Fleetwood lovers should not miss.
atsmile.gif

So far I don't get where people get these don't have bass, or the bass is light. These things will be a treat for a dragon fight in Skyrim, or in Flight Simulator X hearing the visceral rumble of 4 Rolls Royce Avons at idle(Rev 4 DeHavilland Comet). These cans definitely have a wow factor to them. They definitely present the sound as they get it, and they are not forgiving on bad tracks, you'll hear eeevvvverrrrything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back