Audio Technica ATH-AD900x Impressions Thread
Sep 15, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #242 of 250
Years ago, recabled it so it was wired separately both cups.

Decided I prefer the single ended. Rewiring it all, feeding the wires through the headband, and making sure it's all soldered correctly, painful.

I suggest for new owners of AD900x don't do what I did. Keep it single ended.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #243 of 250
And despite owning several headphones, the AD900x is still my go to for gaming. Especially with the PSVR.

Sep 16, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #244 of 250
Yeah if you like that sparkly sound, the original AD900 are better, more excitement and more impact from the bass, light the snap on the snare drum. But overall bass AD900x is better.

Had the AD900x on hiatus, in disrepair, listening to just the k712, k535 and the V80s. But decided to do a repair, got the AD900x looking great and working great.

Now I remember why the AD900/AD900x were my favorite headphones for years before I got the K712. While others raged about the HD600/HD650, I always thought the AD900x were more fun and enjoyable to listen to.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #245 of 250
Read a recent review of AD900x. Yeah I'm amazed too there was a blog review of AD900x 5 years late.

It describes AD900x as bass anemic, wonky mid-range.

After spending the last 15 years of my headphone experience with open-air headphones with Sennheiser, AT and AKG, I'm baffled. For me, headphones with more bass than my HD58x is too much bass. I still think AD900x has the impactful fun bass that no other headphone has exceeded. K712 has the tightest responsive bass. I don't know what this reviewer was thinking.

And well for me, the mid-range and vocals on the AD900x is just dreamy

Dec 1, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #246 of 250
I've unfortunately noticed that my AD900X cable was bent awkwardly today and some of the rubber came off the bent area. I've duct taped it for now and tested it and thank god the phones are working perfectly fine.

Have e-mailed Audio Technica Japan with a proof of purchase (imported from Japan on eBay back in 2015) so here's hoping they have decent customer service.

Dec 1, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #247 of 250
I've unfortunately noticed that my AD900X cable was bent awkwardly today and some of the rubber came off the bent area. I've duct taped it for now and tested it and thank god the phones are working perfectly fine.

Have e-mailed Audio Technica Japan with a proof of purchase (imported from Japan on eBay back in 2015) so here's hoping they have decent customer service.
I routinely break the wing tips on my 900x and Audio Technica has always responded promptly. I think they have great customer service.

Dec 1, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #248 of 250
I routinely break the wing tips on my 900x and Audio Technica has always responded promptly. I think they have great customer service.
Thanks! Its weekend today so will report back on how it goes over the next week.

Have even just bought a DX150 and Q701 but have tested neither due to feeling down with the damage on the cable!

Jan 10, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #249 of 250
Would like to report back that Audio Technica Japan's customer service have been excellent. The AD900x is back with me now and am happily enjoying what I have been missing while they were away!

Such an underated gem!

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #250 of 250
Bought Geekria AD900x replacement pads for $18 shipped on Amazon.

First!!! The description is a lie. These are NOT memory foam.

But... It appears to be good foam, that does retain it's shape.

It's impressive. Even the material and texture of the surround that goes around the earcups feel like the original. The felt material is very comfy, and I think preferable over the popularly linked Ebay pad replacements. These have the same shape as the original with the foam thinner in the interior of the pads. But the foam seem to be of higher quality, so I don't think these will deflate like the original pads.

Soundwise, I think it is near identical to the original. Overall I'd say these are the pads to get if you want them cheap and shipped fast. And I think overall durability will be better than the original. Definitely consider these over the Ebay pads.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back