Audio Technica ATH AD700
Feb 21, 2011 at 12:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

williamea

New Head-Fier
I was going to pick these up and use as a PC gaming headset but every store I try on-line is out of stock. Have these been discontinued? If so can anyone suggest another set? Primary use will be gaming and listening to music on my iPod. Budget around $150

-Thanks

Feb 21, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 19
Don't buy from eBay unless it's a trusted seller. There are too many fakes. Check the used section here perhaps, other than that you just have to wait for the price to go back under $100 if you want to ensure they're real.

Feb 21, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 19
I checked out the big gaming headset thread. The ad700 seems to be he best bang for the buck. The only major complaint seems to be the bass. Any other headphones I should be looking at?

Feb 21, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #6 of 19
Just bought some used on ebay for just over £50 hope they're not fake, not sure how to tell. As for positioning, maybe I'm noobie but it doesn't seem too easy to tell where people are etc on xbox :p

If they don't fit that good do the "elastic band trick" actually works pretty good.

Feb 21, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #7 of 19
T50RP will give you the soundstage you are looking for, but needs modding.

Feb 22, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:
Just bought some used on ebay for just over £50 hope they're not fake, not sure how to tell. As for positioning, maybe I'm noobie but it doesn't seem too easy to tell where people are etc on xbox :p

If they don't fit that good do the "elastic band trick" actually works pretty good.

That's because you aren't using the Astro Mixamp, which is a must. AD700 without Mixamp may as well be a 3DTV without 3D glasses.

Feb 22, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #11 of 19
Sorry, I take back the ebay comment. I'd go with what the others are saying. Hope you find a decent seller! As far as a soundcard goes, I'm still waiting on my Xonar U1 to arrive - damn you Dell! 

Feb 24, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #13 of 19
CoD has pretty awful positional sound in it. I suspect a good set of headphones will be underutilised. Have you tried them in any other games? I've been using my AD700s straight out of the laptop (while waiting for my Xonar U1 to arrive) in CS1.6 and they're still noticeably better than my old ones.

Feb 24, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #14 of 19
I don't really have many games, Forza 3 on xbox did sound awesome though..

Wondering if there's many small mods I could do to make these sound any better, though. I got them 2nd hand relatively cheap so I'm not THAT bothered if something goes wrong :p

Feb 24, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #15 of 19
Amazon should have them for 100.14 
If you have cable, you can tape ends together to make a circle the size of the pads and stuck them under the pads. i liked it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back