Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 Discussion (and Appreciation) Thread!
Mar 6, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #751 of 873
Quote:

Thank you my friend, now after you painted me and all other Raffinato's fans as some sort of freaks, we are officially insulted.
frown.gif

Ha-ha, just kidding, what a boring place head-fi would be if everyone agreed on everything. LOL

Sorry, not intended. We all like different things (and nothing wrong with that), just that the W5000s are really "different" IMO. 
size]

Mar 7, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #752 of 873
I've had my AD-2000s for nearly 3 years now and they continue to amaze me. I just experienced the intro to "Tears for Fears - The Working Hour" on these again and WOW. Simply sublime.

I've tried many pairs on at PeachBudz in West Des Moines and the only pair that sounded equivalently good to my ears was the HD-650. Among those I didn't like were the HFI-2400, Q701, AH-D600.

The Q701 was especially surprising. I almost purchased a pair (or a similar model) instead of the AD-2000 and I'm very glad I made the choice I did. It's been a while, so no impressions.

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #753 of 873
Well, I just got the Denon pads and I have to say that they do raise the treble level a bit, but the general sound signature is the same. I have the darker HD600s, so it actually makes a nice complement. The comfort is infinitely better though, the drivers are no longer touching the ears. The sound is slightly worse, but I'll definitely use the Denon pads, since the AD2000 is now infinitely more usable to me.

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #754 of 873
Quote:
Well, I just got the Denon pads and I have to say that they do raise the treble level a bit, but the general sound signature is the same. I have the darker HD600s, so it actually makes a nice complement. The comfort is infinitely better though, the drivers are no longer touching the ears. The sound is slightly worse, but I'll definitely use the Denon pads, since the AD2000 is now infinitely more usable to me.

Glad it worked for you. The difference in sound wasn't that great to be honest, but that metal sheen really started irritating me in a day, so I've just ruffled up OEM pads to make them fluffier.

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #755 of 873
My first true audiophile cans and I gotta say I was disgusted with them. (at first)

The discomfort literally left my ear red and raw. I hated the driver being right up on my ear and the lack of bass was astounding considering my tastes at the time. I was thinking to myself for the price I paid couldn't they at least make them bearable to wear? I was actually livid.

However, as time went on and I tried different headphones and got different amps/dacs, I was curious about how my ad-2000 would sound since I haven't worn them in a year or so. The discomfort was still there but the sound blew me away with a good amp/dac. It had a strong fast tight bass, and the quality of sound was just on a different level. However, since they were my first headphones, I unknowingly abused them to the point where the left wire became loose and the the left speaker stopped working. Saddened but it was a fun experience. 

Oct 16, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #757 of 873
Denon's pad = treble is increase, kind of fatigue
Phatmod = bass impact is reduce, wider soundstage
W5000's pad = *going to try this out soon.
stock = the best LOL

Oct 16, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #759 of 873
  Denon's pad = treble is increase, kind of fatigue
Phatmod = bass impact is reduce, wider soundstage
W5000's pad = *going to try this out soon.
stock = the best LOL

actually, the stock w1000x pads might do these cans a wonder! I slapped some OEM w1000x pads on a Sound Magic HP 100 and it got a fuller bass a a slightly wider and deeper [due to the pads being angled] 

Oct 17, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #760 of 873
  actually, the stock w1000x pads might do these cans a wonder! I slapped some OEM w1000x pads on a Sound Magic HP 100 and it got a fuller bass a a slightly wider and deeper [due to the pads being angled] 

is it leather? the w5000 pads feel very soft and cushion. :D

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #761 of 873
  is it leather? the w5000 pads feel very soft and cushion. :D

nah the stock w1000x are pleather :/ the L3000 pads would fit, but the L3000 pads... remove warmth and the w1000x madd warmth so... 

Oct 25, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #762 of 873
Any AD2k owners notice slight channel imbalance? I've checked with several sources and the right channel consistently sounds JUST A BIT softer than the left. I've listened to the same sources with my AD900x and not noticed any imbalance. 

After messing around with the channel balance, it seems that the right channel is playing sound at -15db to the left. Do you guys think I should try to send them in to AT-US? I'm the third owner and have been re-cabled.

Oct 28, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #763 of 873
Hey guys,

Anybody pair the AD2K's with an Icon HDP? I currently have the Icon HDP + AD900 and I'm sincerely leaning toward the 2000's as my next pair for this upcoming holiday season. I've owned the 900's for two years (and 700's for three before that) and I really can't get enough of both!

Nov 2, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #765 of 873
Quote:
  Hey guys,

Anybody pair the AD2K's with an Icon HDP? I currently have the Icon HDP + AD900 and I'm sincerely leaning toward the 2000's as my next pair for this upcoming holiday season. I've owned the 900's for two years (and 700's for three before that) and I really can't get enough of both!

You're not imagining things. I thought I was crazy, but you confirmed what I thought too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back