Audio Technica ATH-A900X Discussion Thread (Formerly A-900X Review)
Apr 13, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #226 of 539
Quote:
Could be hair in the driver. Mine doesn't buzz.

I get little "static" noises from time to time, but it happens on more than a single pair of headphones, so I'm pretty sure it's internal sound card/external wiring related.

Quote:

Nope it's the Quality test, the "Bass Shaker" one. It would only make the buzz at 100% full volume (it occurred at the start and the end of the test). I know the a900x aren't bass heavy headphones but I assumed good headphones aren't supposed to buzz at all, even at full volume. 

WHOA! My ear drums feel like they were vibratin'! Both sound equal, no buzz, crazy...

Edit: I paid $240 after tax from Best Buy cause I'm impatient and impulsive. :D

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #227 of 539
Quote:

I get little "static" noises from time to time, but it happens on more than a single pair of headphones, so I'm pretty sure it's internal sound card/external wiring related.

WHOA! My ear drums feel like they were vibratin'! Both sound equal, no buzz, crazy...

Edit: I paid $240 after tax from Best Buy cause I'm impatient and impulsive. :D

Dang, no buzz huh? It's weird, my pair doesn't buzz at any volume except for 96-100% I think I'm going to just return these to Buydig. I don't know if I should purchase another pair of Amazon or spend more on the Audio Technica ATH-ESW9A. The ESW9As look really nice, so do the Sennheiser HD25-1s

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #228 of 539
Quote:
Another bad batch, my old pair with the mismatched drivers had the 2012-05 sticker as well.

my set has a 2012-05 sticker as well, but not sure if I have mismatched drivers. I ran the Driver Matching test from audiocheck.net and the sound seems pretty centered throughout the entire range until the very last high frequency bit, where it sweeps from L to R to L again very briefly for the last 1.5 seconds.  

It doesn't bother me much when I'm listening to music, so I may just stick with these for the time being, but your post has me a bit worried.  Is the difference between the mismatched drivers pretty blatant or was it a subtle annoyance?

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #229 of 539
Dang, no buzz huh? It's weird, my pair doesn't buzz at any volume except for 96-100% I think I'm going to just return these to Buydig. I don't know if I should purchase another pair of Amazon or spend more on the Audio Technica ATH-ESW9A. The ESW9As look really nice, so do the Sennheiser HD25-1s

I would blow my ears and headphones up @ 100% volume, but I'm amping them with a Littledot MKIII.

Do you need your source to give 100% to listen to them @ a comfortable volume?

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #230 of 539
Another bad batch, my old pair with the mismatched drivers had the 2012-05 sticker as well.

my set has a 2012-05 sticker as well, but not sure if I have mismatched drivers. I ran the Driver Matching test from audiocheck.net and the sound seems pretty centered throughout the entire range until the very last high frequency bit, where it sweeps from L to R to L again very briefly for the last 1.5 seconds.  

It doesn't bother me much when I'm listening to music, so I may just stick with these for the time being, but your post has me a bit worried.  Is the difference between the mismatched drivers pretty blatant or was it a subtle annoyance?

This is pretty normal. The pair with mismatched drivers I had was indeed blatant. To get the mid frequencies at the same volume I had to move the left side up to 80% and the right side down to ~71% (in Xonar audio center where 76% for both is default). The mids were where the problem was most pronounced but the bass and treble differed significantly as well, rendering any equalizing worthless. The left side also failed the bass shaker test badly with buzzing at moderate volume and heavy rattling at high volume.

Most headphones I've tried have some subtle variation at the high end range. I wouldn't worry about it if there's nothing else wrong with them.

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #231 of 539
Update:

- so i have been playing my PL through ath-a900x for over 30hrs at 100% volume for the last 10hrs. I'll try to provide some of my impressions with the pair with the least technical words possible.

a.  bass/low: the bass has been improved a lot compare to out of the box and it is now a lot tighter, solid, and more presence.  It is still not profound as the bass of the M50s (this is confirmed by all other members, so don't think this is a defect).  

b. mid: this is, again, confirmed by all others experts here where the a900x shines.  Singers sound much clearer and separation of instruments and voice is much better so words are easily heard and understood.  

c. high/treble: i like the high of the a900x better than my M50s.  It is not fatiguing and I can listen longer on it than the M50s.  

I have ran all the available tests provided in earlier comments  and everything checked out find without any problem.  Now that I can enjoy it without the thought of mine being defective I can say that these are in fact better than the M50s.  Everything except for the fact that bass is less profound.  I can see myself reaching for the a900x more than the M50s when i'm at home.  the fit of the a900x is very good.  I feel as if nothing is on my head after awhile.  I actually felt asleep with it on my head (first time ever with all the headphones i have used in the past 15years).  However, due to the side of my small  head and bony faceI can't seems to get a good seal (this may/may not affect the bass).  maybe i'll look into other pads for them (any suggestions would be greatly appreciated).

Final thoughts:  these are great cans.  Not very good for portable use because of the size.  I am sure will get some good use out of these babies in the future.  As of now they will serve me with my music listening everyday.  I will use try to use them for mixing/monitoring to see how they compare to the M50s.  Will report back on that.  I hope all other members who have been experiencing negative things with these have them sorted out.  I gotta stop here to I can go back to listening to my music.  Peaze

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #235 of 539
I just got mine on Saturday and they have about 15-18 hours on them.  I like the balanced sound and look forward to doing some A-B comparisons with my HD650s.

Apr 17, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #236 of 539
@kriegszeit and any other that might be able to chime in...

so I tripped over the cable (doh!) and these headphones went flying down onto the floor (from the table I had them set on), which is a wooden floor with chepa IKEA rug on it.  Horrified, I put them back on, and everything seemed fine.  However, the next day, when I reran the Driver Matching Test, I noticed two small "pops" about 2 seconds in right after each other.  The sound signature has changed (I attribute this to burn in and/or my ears getting used to them), but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the pops I'm hearing.

There is also a "layer of buzz" over the bass shaker test that I didn't notice before.  It sounds like a very, very light layer of white noise over the bass frequencies.

Am I just hearing minor details/defects I didn't notice before or do you guys think the hit on the floor might have actually done something to the headphones? 
confused_face.gif

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #237 of 539
Quote:
I bought a pair of these off amazon about a week ago. When I saw the buydig sale I figured i'd buy another pair. Well, I have them both now and there are some odd differences. The pair from amazon was bought through BeachCamera I believe.
... I'm just looking for some insight. Are these defective? fake? are they working within normal expectations?

Buydig is a division of BeachCamera.
I've got confirmation from both Audio Technica US & BeachCamera/Buydig.  They are authorized dealer.

Apr 18, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #239 of 539
Can the pads be replaced by leather ones from a model higher up in AT's range? If so, which are the ones to go for?

The stock ones are rather sweaty and uncomfortable, and don't seal all that well.

Apr 18, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #240 of 539
I didn't know why I didn't think of this sooner, but I tried the same test with the M50's and I hear the same things I'm hearing with the A900X's!  IT must either be a problem with the recording (doubtful) or something happening somehere in the audio chain (MBP-->nuForce uDAC-->headphone).  Regardless, glad it's not a unique fault with the new headphones :p

Putting the M50's back on again really make apparent how awesome the soundstage on the A900X's is!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back