audio-technica ATH-A2000X
Mar 23, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #211 of 399
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A2000X is top-of-the-line in the ART Monitors. What more needs to be said?
tongue_smile.gif

The Saab 900 has a higher number than the Ferrari 458. Therefore, it must be better, right?
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #212 of 399
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengt77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Saab 900 has a higher number than the Ferrari 458. Therefore, it must be better, right?
biggrin.gif

That's not at all what I implied, but... close enough!
atsmile.gif

I'll take your word for it and defend your right to say it!

87ytu4987y.jpg

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #213 of 399
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengt77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

If Saab and Ferrari are one company then your statement is correct. As for the A2000X, it is AT's current flagship in production.

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #214 of 399
I borrowed three limited edition AT woodies from a friend to compare, the W11JPN, W10LTD and W10VTG. I didn't like them before, but stuffing the pads a bit fixed their main issue, which is congested sound. It also brings the treble out a bit. Unfortunately they all have a big mid-bass hump, which is great for pop music, but colours everything else somewhat excessively. I still plan to go and try the latest X-series ATs again sometime soon. This is partly preparation for that.

Mar 24, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #215 of 399
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunneebear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If Saab and Ferrari are one company then your statement is correct. As for the A2000X, it is AT's current flagship in production.

You're absolutely right. A better analogy would have been comparing both the HD 25 and the HD 418 from Sennheiser.

Mar 28, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #216 of 399
Maybe this is a questioned destined to fail, but here goes:

How basslight / "neutral" are the A2000X headphones? and what kind of reference point can you give me with your opinion?

W5000 are said to be, and FR wise, very similar to the SA5000 I own. While it is very detailed and quick, it is VERY basslight. HD 600 is bass light, so is the K702 as they roll off pretty horribly after 70-60 hz, in my setup anyways. Ultrasone Pro 750 is a little too north of neutral. My W1000X is the best balance I have ever heard so far in any headphone open or closed, but it would seem that people here would consider them "bassheavy" because they go so low and keep a fairly consistent volume with depth. Please bare in mind I do not consider basslight = to neutral.

Sexy brushed steel looks aside, could anyone comment if it is worth looking into the A2000X as something worth owning in conjunction with the W1000X for sonic purposes :p?

Very reassuring to see it holds up with the HD 800 in terms of being pleasing and getting headtime.
My W1000X is the only headphone getting headtime in my rig right now and has left me very interested in audio technica headphones.

Thanks

Mar 29, 2010 at 6:32 AM Post #217 of 399
If you consider "bass light" to mean no over-blown mid-bass, then you're about right in your descriptions. The W1000X has overblown bass, but, unlike Denons, for example, I thought it was better.

Mar 29, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #218 of 399
Quote:

Originally Posted by sokolov91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe this is a questioned destined to fail, but here goes:

How basslight / "neutral" are the A2000X headphones? and what kind of reference point can you give me with your opinion?

W5000 are said to be, and FR wise, very similar to the SA5000 I own. While it is very detailed and quick, it is VERY basslight. HD 600 is bass light, so is the K702 as they roll off pretty horribly after 70-60 hz, in my setup anyways. Ultrasone Pro 750 is a little too north of neutral. My W1000X is the best balance I have ever heard so far in any headphone open or closed, but it would seem that people here would consider them "bassheavy" because they go so low and keep a fairly consistent volume with depth. Please bare in mind I do not consider basslight = to neutral.

Sexy brushed steel looks aside, could anyone comment if it is worth looking into the A2000X as something worth owning in conjunction with the W1000X for sonic purposes :p?

Very reassuring to see it holds up with the HD 800 in terms of being pleasing and getting headtime.
My W1000X is the only headphone getting headtime in my rig right now and has left me very interested in audio technica headphones.

Thanks

A2000X's bass is almost flat throughout midbass and part of the lower/upper bass. However, the bass has the biggest slam and presence I've ever heard, more than other bassier headphones with more of a midbass hump. HD600, for example, has more bass than A2000X, but its bass is wimpy compared to the ATs. Low bass comes through very well, better than other 'phones giving low notes some really wonderful fortitude, but it is not quite on par with RE-252 in this regard. Bass is a pinch rounded at the edges, fully extended to 20Hz and a little beyond. Heck, this headphone is the first one I've heard that I can place in front of me and use them as mini-speakers, lol, because they do not completely lose their balance at a short distance. Other headphones lose their highs and lows if used in this manner.
As far as neutrality, the FR is certainly not neutral, but these headphones don't have any particular character or color to their sound - they don't add anything extra to your music. It is bright hot in the highs, but otherwise it is also not warm or bright through out mids and bass. Mids are almost flat as well, but a there's some forwardness in a bit of the upper mids, and fatiguingly so to boot. When I first received mine, they had a somewhat jagged, fatiguing FR from mids to highs and around 300-450 hours they are unbearable, then they become almost non-fatiguing afterward (though my own ears are partly to blame, too). Not sure how much they will change with further burn-in, but I have a hunch it'll improve a bit more. Mids are definitely not as laid-back as the Senns or AD700, that much I can say.

Mar 30, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #219 of 399
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heck, this headphone is the first one I've heard that I can place in front of me and use them as mini-speakers, lol, because they do not completely lose their balance at a short distance. Other headphones lose their highs and lows if used in this manner.

I have the A1000X and it has the same effect. Whenever I take them off to do something, the sound coming from them seems very loud like I have them cranked up but it is just light listening levels. I always do a double check or lower the volume when I take the A1000X's off my head.
Its not a issue but just funny to see someone else bring that up.

Mar 30, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #220 of 399
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you consider "bass light" to mean no over-blown mid-bass, then you're about right in your descriptions. The W1000X has overblown bass, but, unlike Denons, for example, I thought it was better.

See I find that really weird and just as I supspected. I am by no means a basshead, but the bass really is not overblown in the W1000X IMO... it's just actually there for once, and evenly. A lot of time when mass is its a huge bump in one area and make a headphone sound flabby and cheap. With the W1000X this is certainly not the case, but I do hear all the bass... right down to a palpable 20 hz.

Many so called "neutral" headphones can't give proper sub 80hz bass which means you loose out of a part of the audio spectrum. With my W1000X I hear just about everything for once.

Basically I am just worried that the A2000X will be the same thing, just will less bass. If they do have less bass, but the slam I am totally digging and another signature I might bite in the future.

could anyone compare them to the SA5K?

Mar 30, 2010 at 8:12 AM Post #221 of 399
Quote:

See I find that really weird and just as I supspected. I am by no means a basshead, but the bass really is not overblown in the W1000X IMO... it's just actually there for once, and evenly. A lot of time when mass is its a huge bump in one area and make a headphone sound flabby and cheap. With the W1000X this is certainly not the case, but I do hear all the bass... right down to a palpable 20 hz.

Many so called "neutral" headphones can't give proper sub 80hz bass which means you loose out of a part of the audio spectrum. With my W1000X I hear just about everything for once.

Basically I am just worried that the A2000X will be the same thing, just will less bass. If they do have less bass, but the slam I am totally digging and another signature I might bite in the future.

could anyone compare them to the SA5K?

I have the A1000X and the SA5000. I know the A1000X and A2000X are different but just with cup metal and cable. Aluminum vs. titanium and OCC copper vs. 7N Litz copper.

The A1000X has more upper bass slam but can also produce deep bass. It is after all a close can but surprisingly it sounds very open, almost speaker like. It is my favorite closed can more so than the CD3000 because it sounds very good with most source, amps and music. The CD3000 will best the A1000X but only if the ideal combo of equipment and music is achieved. Then it is almost magical.

As for the SA5000, to my ears it is flatter. Being open, it doesn't have the pressure and slam that the A1000X has. It also has amazing control of the full frequency spectrum. Deep bass is there, extreme highs are amazing and all is smooth and in control. One thing about the SA5000 that I like more than my other headphones is it's ability to play deep bass passages while producing crystal clear treble. With some cans you can pick up a little harshness or grain in the treble.

If given the choice one or the other or after ABing, I would chose the SA5000. It just sounds more refined. The A1000X is still a keeper and the closed can I use most. Fun to hear, light weight and good overall presentation. If I could only keep two headphones than it would be these two. If just one, SA5000.

I am no bass head but I can say that both the A1000X and SA5000 in stock form can be called bass light when compared to Denons, Ultrasones, Beyers and Grados. To me the two are just right and the others are bass heavy.

*Note* All my headphones are using Mogami cables at this time. In my opinion it is neutral and better than the stock cables.

Apr 2, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #222 of 399
Thank you very much for your input. I greatly appreciate it.

I ordered a Meier Concerto. I am hoping my new amp, and in the summer -new DAC will breath some life into my SA5K that I seem to have been avoiding because I listened to them TOO much for a long time haha.

Bass is very interesting int he SA5K, it goes pretty deep, and is audible, but is almost purely audible, and no sensation. It does roll off, sooner than I initially tought... or appears to anyways because it is open and doesn't trap those 50-20hz waves.

Maybe I should cash out more and try the W5000 instead as it is supposed to be "the same", but better than the SA5K at everything it excels at doing. I think I will forget all about other headphones when I get the amp though... Maybe the W1000X are less neutral than I like to think, but they make me happy - A rarity in the audiophile world!

Sigh, so many good headphones, SO LITTLE CASH.

The A2000X do look oh so seductive though >: )

Apr 2, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #223 of 399
Hi, I'm new to headphone, so I got one little stupid question: how does a2000x sound without amp? I mean any better than IEMs? I want to buy a full-size headphone for classical music, mostly piano concerto. If I have to use amp, can you give me some suggestion? Thanks for your help.

Apr 2, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #224 of 399
Quote:

Originally Posted by astroqm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I'm new to headphone, so I got one little stupid question: how does a2000x sound without amp? I mean any better than IEMs? I want to buy a full-size headphone for classical music, mostly piano concerto. If I have to use amp, can you give me some suggestion? Thanks for your help.

I don't have the A2000X but,

Amps are never mandatory... but depending on the headphone they are highly valuable. The Audio Technicas are 42 ohms and pretty sensitive, so you would be fine without an amp. However, depending on your budget, you stand only to benefit from an amp.

Bottom line is "Unlistenable" is an exaggeration, but I carry around a portable amp because I feel it is worth it, even with my UE triple.fi10 IEMS.

Whats your budget like for headphones? Whats your total budget like? You should probably start your own thread too.

Solid State would probably be best for low impedance headphones.

Apr 2, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #225 of 399
Quote:

Whats your budget like for headphones? Whats your total budget like? You should probably start your own thread too.

Solid State would probably be best for low impedance headphones.

Thank you sokolov91, because a2000x is more expensive(around 540) than other headphone, like HD600, K701, my budget for amp would be tight. Maybe I can put another 200-300 for amp. Another question: for the same budget can I get better sound from HD600 system for classical music, compare to ATs like your W1000x? Thanks again
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back