Audio Technica 50th Anniversary
Nov 4, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #136 of 208

Quote:

Off the top of my head, the bass is much cleaner while still being quite powerful in the W1000x. The W11JPN's bass can sound a bit muddied and bloated on certain recordings in comparison. It's been a while since I've scrutinized them side by side, however.

It's surprising how good the W11R sounds compared to the W11JPN though. The W11R is much more textured in the low end and more detailed overall without losing the intimate midrange. I think the W1000X's midrange is a bit distant sounding, but it's been a very long time since I've heard it.

Nov 4, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #137 of 208

Quote:
It's surprising how good the W11R sounds compared to the W11JPN though. The W11R is much more textured in the low end and more detailed overall without losing the intimate midrange. I think the W1000X's midrange is a bit distant sounding, but it's been a very long time since I've heard it.

I've been wanting to listen with the W11R but haven't gotten the chance yet. I can see where you're coming from on the W1000x, though. They're less appealing with acoustic music than some of the other sets, though I do think they're some of the best ATs for anything with a heavy beat.

The W100 is still my favorite wooden AT I've tried thus far. Oddly, I've read that there were two different production runs of the W100 and that some of the 'bad' models sound similar to the original W1000 but not as good. I must have gotten one of the 'right' ones though, because it sounds quite special.

These are a hard set of cans to describe and do justice to, so I tend to fall back on "special" and "magical" with the W100, though that isn't at all helpful I realize. One review described them as a mini R10, which I personally don't see, but just goes to show you how striking this thing can be to the ears.

I would argue that there really isn't a general "AT house sound," especially with the woodies, but there is a certain seductive quality that people commonly find with their wooden headphones. I think the W100 most clearly replicates this seductive coloration out of the models I've heard. They're also really holographic, and so the combination makes you feel like you're in some velvet-lined night club where people have somehow found a way to smoke ambrosia.

Nov 6, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #140 of 208
UGH! Paypal has decided they should suspend my account for "review" after I used it to buy from PriceJapan. That's ridiculous. I've sent payments for much more using Payapl, and it has never been a problem before. Now they want to "review" my transaction because "it was for a large amount?"

Thankfully Kaneda is totally awesome and understands it'll take a few days for my account to be restored. PriceJapan is a truly awesome site.

Nov 6, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #141 of 208
It's a nice site yeah. No notification of the payment received though and last time the packaging was less than perfect. = ) Other than that the communication is excellent though.

PayPal is a great thing, but I tend to use bank transfer with PriceJapan.

Anyway, less than two weeks to the release! = D Can't wait... Already making a new headphone stand for the increased needs. ;D

Nov 9, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #145 of 208

Quote:
Hmmm is there a difference between the HA5000 and the HA5000ANV? Or is the ANV just a HA5000 with an inflated limited edition price?

Not sure but specs are the same (at least from what I see on Audiocubes) and the interior looks the same.

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #146 of 208
I could've bought it just for the great looking front plate, but I suppose I'm not a real head-fi'er yet... Didn't completely empty my account for it. = ) By the way, it's a solid state right? Never really investigated these amps further...

Nov 12, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #148 of 208
i think the ha5000anv  just have a fancier face plate and being limited edition,i would not pay the extra grand for it. but i ordered a w3000anv ..
wink_face.gif

Nov 18, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #150 of 208

Quote:
I just got an email from pricejapan saying that my w3000anv is shipped. 
biggrin.gif

That's great news! What place in line were you? I'm hoping mine will be shipped soon also but I haven't received a message yet and I'm 7th.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back