Audio Technica 50th Anniversary
Dec 6, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #196 of 208

Hopping into this thread late. Must've missed the "Team AudioTechnica" news letter about this thread. I had remembered this was coming up and then reremembered when I came across the PRO700MK2ANVs. I will always prefer the limited all white edition of the PRO700's, which years later... I'm still dying to get my hands on. So if any of you have a pair...
The Silver M50's are nice but if I'm going for bass, I might as well go balls to the wall and usually prefer the PRO700MK2's. I haven't heard the PRO500's though, but I'm not a huge fan of on-ears... ESW9's being the exception to that. I do have the PRO5MK2's which are like a more monitor-y version of the M50's.
Couple comments, the bars on the headband are plastic? Is it possible that these are just metal bands like the the W5000 but sheathed in plastic? I feel like that would be a much better idea. From my experience with the W5000, bending these bands are imperative for a good fit. One of you should have your cans in by now.
It's great to hear that they have more bass that the W1000X. A mod I found on the forums ended up bringing a lot of bass out of the W5000's I own. Ive used it for over a year now.
Also all this talk about these expensive headphone amps being the only ones that do the W5000's justice are overlooking the Schiit Asgard. Both myself and the great guys over at 6Moons Audio find it to be one of the best amps for this headphone. It's a great low impedance clear happy mid level synergy. I would still ultimately like to have a HA5000 but it's so hard to justify that price for an amp which only has a great pairing with one set of cans.
Also, you can achieve a pretty noteworthy shine out of your polished W5000's without using something as aggressive as stuff meant for cars. I use a wood polish, which is very fine grit, and just go gently over the logo and a little less so not around the logo. The cups come off quite easy. Then I follow it up with a beeswax based wood wax, and let that set on for a bit. It came out really sexy.

The headband arches are indeed metal with rubber tubes. I would have preferred just simple metal arches myself.

ATH-W1000X has more bass quantity than the ATH-W3000ANV.The latter is more detailed though and overall a better phone. I need to do some comparing after I've burnt them in enough and gotten used to them.

Dec 7, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #197 of 208
Nice shot! It's great to see people taking care of their W5000s. Still an underrated headphone around these parts. And yes, there are several good solutions for driving Audio-Technica cans that don't cost a fortune. People seem to bristle these days when the Asgard is suggested though, and that's a shame. In some ways it's still my favorite Schiit amp.

As TheOtus says, the headband assembly is indeed metal incased in plastic. Several head-fiers have had success bending theirs to fit better.

And yes... the W1000X definitely has more bass [quantity] than the W3000ANV. I've tried it on several different setups, using different sources and amps, and I'm just not hearing how some can claim the reverse. I'd say it's similar to the W5000 in terms of quantity, with perhaps a smidgen more.

Dec 7, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #198 of 208
People seem to bristle these days when the Asgard is suggested though, and that's a shame. In some ways it's still my favorite Schiit amp.

Which is why I trust reviews by professionals, like 6Moons, more than I trust some bloated opinions on head-fi. People scoff at you if you spent less than 300 dollars on your amp, but the fact of the matter is the W5000's sound wonderful on this amp. Hell, schiit even suggests audiotechnica's and grados because they're typically very easy drives as headphones.

I'm curious to hear more though. Do you mean people bristle when suggesting this combination of amp and cans? Anyone else familiar with the combination? I think it's gorgeous. Do any of you have any experience with the F5005 mod? I'm curious if my assessments and experience match up with other owners.

I feel like people write off the W5000's so quickly, you're right they don't get much love on these board. The F5005 mod really clears up any issues I had with them and people should give it a shot. They're a rough start, before breaking the headband in for just the right fit and getting the mods set up and having the pads turned just the right way but once you have that happy configuration they're stellar. Hell AT in general doesn't get enough love on these boards, I rarely see an article from Jude or anyone else recommending or discussing the brand. The M50's has been so successful that head-fiers scoff at any mention of these headphones, which are some of the best things a beginner audiophile can start with.

There's this elite mindset that if it's popular and doesn't cost an entire paycheck it's a joke. And that's with cans and amps.

But alas I ramble...

Jan 21, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #199 of 208
Hello!

Just a quick FYI -the Audio Technica ATH-M50s/LE (limited edition silver) debuted this weekend at NAMM are now available in very limited quantity on our website:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ATH-M50s-LE

Anyone who orders them this weekend can get an extra discount coupon for group members only. Send a request to sales@soundprofessionals.com and we will email you the code.

Thanks

Chris Carfagno
The Sound Professionals
Www.soundprofessionals.com
800-213-3021

Jan 22, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #200 of 208
Jan 22, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #202 of 208

Quote:
As far as I know, the PRO700MK2ANV is not available domestically in the US, at least not yet. You can get it from an import store like Audiocubes though.

They landed down under last week :)

Along with the CKW1000ANV iem's

Jan 22, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #204 of 208

Quote:
Yeah, I recall someone in Australia talking about his audition of them. I'm more curious about the CKW1000ANV myself. There's a distinct lack of impressions of them on head-fi.

Same here 
smile.gif

My mother has decided to become an aging audiophile in her golden years, she still travels a lot and prefers iems's unlike
 myself - they look beautiful and very tempting as a gift!

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #205 of 208

Wow those look great! Any idea how they sound? Been looking around for any reviews/impressions but can't really find any!

Quote:
 Same here 
smile.gif

My mother has decided to become an aging audiophile in her golden years, she still travels a lot and prefers iems's unlike
 myself - they look beautiful and very tempting as a gift!

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #206 of 208

Quote:
Wow those look great! Any idea how they sound? Been looking around for any reviews/impressions but can't really find any!

Nope still clueless on these! Only 5 x sets landed at the store, numbers are still low so these are sitting aside on the shelf for direct sale
 at this stage - no demo for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back