AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Feb 4, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #3,586 of 3,694
In a nut shell AOIP as it exists now is made up of 3 'parts'.
#1 is the dante network s/w that is installed on the computer that has the ethernet port used to send the digital audio stream.
It is a completely separate set of network protocols that only does one thing, send digital audio data streams from anywhere to anywhere
on it's network.
All the nodes on this dedicated network must speak this dante network language, from the computer/player to the endpoints which convert the ethernet packets into the digital audio format that feeds your dac (AES, SPIDF, etc.)

#2 is the driver for the win/mac/unix based player to send the digital audio bit-stream out this dedicated ethernet network.

#3 is the endpoint converter box that receives the ethernet dante digital audio stream and then converts it to AES, SPDIF, etc. to feed your dac.

This thread deals with all of this and is probably your best resource for learning about all of this.

Also, this dante network is designed for pro audio, and not specifically for how we use it.
This doesn't mean it doesn't work nor work well, but this 'product' requires a degree of technical competence that normal retail users will find unacceptable due the complexity and required understanding of the task at hand.
IOW this isn't plug and pray.

JJ

For me, it was plug, swear, pray, play.

However, once properly set up, it's been glitch free for two + years. Power outage, change dacs, tear down system to take to a meet, whatever, as soon as the system is fired up, it communicates and is ready to play in seconds.

Feb 4, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #3,587 of 3,694
For me it was plug and then I ran into a s/w bug.
And setting up the whole system isn't difficult, but wrapping your head around all of this for the 1st time can be a bit intimidating, especially if this sort of fussing with the bits and pieces is not the sort of thing you normally do.

And I've had my system glitch once or twice, but a reset cured it, but yeah it just plain works and does so with REALNESS!
hahahahahahahahahahahaa

JJ

Feb 4, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #3,588 of 3,694
I had some glitch which broke DVS drivers. I had to reinstall. At the same time Audinate servers were completely down for a day.. so I could not activate drivers at all. "The licensing server couldn't be found (513)" After they fixed the servers.. I could not activate. "This license has been activated too many times (4)". Audinate customer service was quick to answer and fixed problems. All is good now.

Another news is that Genelec is releasing a new AoIP product. They already have released AoIP product 8430A two years ago. This new speaker is not for audiophiles but still great product. You only need network cord and nothing else. Cat5 cable is enough to carry power, DSP settings and audio! I hope Genelec brings these things to bigger monitors as well. Now they need separate cabling for GLM (DSP-settings).

https://www.genelec.com/genelec-launches-smart-ip-audio-platform-ise-2019

Great things from my small home country. Finland. :)

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #3,589 of 3,694
Is anyone here using Audirvana + with their Dante controller software?

I recently purchased a Dante enabled device (Micromedia) and was wondering whether you can stream music from Audirvana. How do you make Audirvana use the Dante controller as the preferred audio device?

Apologies if I'm covering old ground.

Feb 6, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #3,590 of 3,694
Is anyone here using Audirvana + with their Dante controller software?

I recently purchased a Dante enabled device (Micromedia) and was wondering whether you can stream music from Audirvana. How do you make Audirvana use the Dante controller as the preferred audio device?

Apologies if I'm covering old ground.

Dante Virtual Soundcard will appear as an output in Audirvana. If running Windows probably best to select ASIO in DVS.

Feb 6, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #3,593 of 3,694
Feb 8, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #3,595 of 3,694
Just posted per below link at Bob's US Audio Mart "Greatest Breakthrough" thread. The subject of Duelund wires came up there and I followed thru on a temption to build a digital AES cable for D16 AES to Convert-2. Massive, massive success. Didn't realise what a bottle neck an AES digital cable could be :)
https://www.usaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1465&p=11805#p11805

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #3,596 of 3,694
Just posted per below link at Bob's US Audio Mart "Greatest Breakthrough" thread. The subject of Duelund wires came up there and I followed thru on a temption to build a digital AES cable for D16 AES to Convert-2. Massive, massive success. Didn't realise what a bottle neck an AES digital cable could be :)
https://www.usaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1465&p=11805#p11805

Thanks for posting the link to that thread, I'm just beginning with AIOP and there's lots of useful stuff in there regarding ethernet cables and POE splitters etc that I wasn't aware of.

Feb 9, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #3,598 of 3,694
So in my quest to summit the Everest that is AIOP / Dante software having traversed the dangerous crevices of the ice flow I'm now stuck at camp 1 :frowning2:

As recommended I've installed the Dante Virtual Soundcard so I can use my favourite music software player. And quite by chance and persistence I've managed to get Dante Controller to recognise my Dante enabled device. It seems the issue was I have two wired ethernet ports on my Apple G5 tower and turning off the unused port was imperative, (and also the WIFI).

My next issue it seems may be one of subscription - I need a green tick to create a subscription?

But I have this warning sign which appears as soon as the device is recognised:

screenshot_302.jpg

This is the explanation for this error icon from the Dante controller manual:

WARNING: The subscription is unresolved, typically because the transmitting device is not visible on the network (for example, because it has been removed, or switched off)

Can anyone give me a few pointers?

Much appreciated. P

Feb 11, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #3,600 of 3,694
Do take a look at the computer. I was drawn to Dante because I thought its sound quality would be independent of the computer and what it was doing or not doing. Well I was totally wrong. So IME you just can't connect a computer to a Dante device, or switch and viola awesome sound. You have to tweak the computer a bit. Focusrite has a page on how to optimize Windows 10 for audio. I will link and I must say you need to do everything they mention. And I even did some of the Black Viper stuff.

Originally I was using a Surface 3 and just went through the optimizations when I was using a USB dac. Then I jumped to Dante. It sounded fantastic. I also dedicated the Surface to NOTHING but audio and disabled everything from the camera to the wifi connection to the internal soundcard, etc. It sounded great but the Surface really sucks to use. WTH is Microsoft thinking? Stupid things like the onscreen keyboard covering text boxes on websites, etc.

So I ditched it and bought a fanless mini Windows 10 pc. Hooked up the Dante device with the same switch and cables and installed the Dante Controller, and Virtual soundcard. OMG it sounded horrible. Had I not run it on the Surface I would have returned the Dante device. It was harsh and congested and unlistenable. I went through the optimizations and now it sounds great. So all those "bits are bits" "everything is buffered and the computer doesn't matter" dudes have never heard this. Its clearly audible. So if you are jumping in do the optimizations and better yet get a dedicated computer.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207355205-Optimising-your-PC-for-Audio-on-Windows-10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back