AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Oct 13, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #3,556 of 3,694
Color me bummed...

My system went off -line this afternoon and I had to reboot it. It sure sounds great for the two days before it goes off line. I guess that I will start up Wireshark for the Focusrite folks. The good news is that it does seem to work without RC installed...

Oct 16, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #3,557 of 3,694
Occasionally my dante network seems to be undetectable. I fix it by closing the dante controller and rednet app, then using a .bat file to stop and start all the dante related services in the correct order:

net stop conmon
net stop DanteDiscovery
net stop dvs.manager
net start conmon
net start DanteDiscovery
net start dvs.manager

Obviously this shouldnt be necessary but maybe it helps someone

Thanks a lot for this. It does speed up reestablishing the connections. I am still working on this with Focusrite.

A question for you or anyone else with this problem. Do you use Audiophile Optimizer and what operating system are you using?

Oct 16, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #3,558 of 3,694
A question for you or anyone else with this problem. Do you use Audiophile Optimizer and what operating system are you using?
No special optimizer software. Windows 10.
About that sample rate changing thing. Jriver does change sample rate in Dante Controller without RC2, but it does not change it in D16 AES.. it is just strange that it works for you.

I moved back to direct connection. Switch based connection did not gave any positive change. There were more timeout errors and late packets with heavy traffic.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #3,559 of 3,694
No special optimizer software. Windows 10.
About that sample rate changing thing. Jriver does change sample rate in Dante Controller without RC2, but it does not change it in D16 AES.. it is just strange that it works for you.

I moved back to direct connection. Switch based connection did not gave any positive change. There were more timeout errors and late packets with heavy traffic.

Thanks for the input. I know that my Yggy DAC is changing for differing rates because I can hear the clicking as it switches. It only does that to accommodate a rate change.

Do you have SRC checked ?
upload_2018-10-16_9-5-54.png

I have tried different cabling combinations between the PC, D16 and switch. I have also tried every idea suggested by others and all of the settings that Focusrite recommends for a managed switch. The devices still drop out of RC predictably about every two days. There must be a clue in there somewhere. It is odd that the problem followed me when I switched from an old install of Server 2012 to 2016. I did get a nice increase in sound quality however, especially when I went to Roon. If the sound quality was not so great I would probably move on to another method...

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #3,560 of 3,694
Hi I'm new to the AoIP, Dante. I personally own a b2 boomer, I'm wondering if I use a usb to dante adapter will that help to improve the sound quality compare with usb interface aes output? In another word, will this usb-dante adapter-dac setup maintain AoIP's benefits?

Nov 2, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #3,561 of 3,694
I'm not sure what a usb to dante adapter is, but for me the whole point of AOIP is to avoid USB altogether.

JJ

Nov 2, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #3,562 of 3,694
I'm not sure what a usb to dante adapter is, but for me the whole point of AOIP is to avoid USB altogether.

JJ
Yes, that’s what main point I was concerning... my PC has only one Ethernet connector, and I used it for internet. I saw there are plenty of usb to Dante interface/adapters on the market so I’m start to thinkabout that.

Nov 2, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #3,563 of 3,694
If you have a switch or router connected to your computer then the dante AOIP can be connected to that and run 'side by side' to the rest of your network.

JJ

Nov 2, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #3,564 of 3,694
Yes, that’s what main point I was concerning... my PC has only one Ethernet connector, and I used it for internet. I saw there are plenty of usb to Dante interface/adapters on the market so I’m start to thinkabout that.
Put another LAN pcie card to the PC and use it only for Dante. I have done this way. Avoid any network switches/routers - it degrade SQ significantly.

Nov 3, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #3,565 of 3,694

As suggested, you could simply add another PCIe ethernet card. You could also buy a USB to ethernet adapter and dedicate that for your LAN Internet connection. I agree that it is best if you can avoid going through a switch for the Dante connection if possible.

Regarding "usb to Dante interface/adapters": Be careful as most of those only support 24/96. They are much cheaper though if that rate meets your needs.

Dec 7, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #3,566 of 3,694
image.jpeg
I haven't been fiddling much with Ethernet cables since going with Dante file delivery in 2016. Have been happy with BJC's Cat6a -- apparently well built (read their detailed explanation), robust, and so transparent that Yggy's incredible detail retrieval is really happening.

However, I wanted to try a solid core wire, so I've been running this one for a few days, solid cat 7 patch cord 23 AWG shielded. It is slightly different sonically, a bit more relaxed and graceful, yet even more "presence" of voice or instrument in the (perceived) place the performance is in. It's stiffer, so careful bending is called for. Really happy with it, but don't plan to continue extreme upscaling with Ethernet cable (arriving at cable exceeding the cost of Yggy hahaha)!

$36 for one 7 footer delivered, a week plus to Seattle, (I'm spoiled by next day BJC deliveries).

https://americanteledatastore.com/product-category/patch-cables-cat-5e-6-6a-7-8/cat-7-indoor/

Jan 8, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #3,567 of 3,694
Just jumped in with the Focusrite Rednet AM2. Using a surface tablet with Dante Virtual Soundcard with files on an attached USB drive. Player software is Hysolid with Iphone running the control ap. AM2 is powered over PoE (included PSU didnt make any difference that I could tell). Feeding the balanced outs to a pair of Behringer P1s. They run the M1060s balanced (2 in mono only running one channel) and are battery powered.

Amazing improvement. The Hysolid is clean, the AM2 is clean and the Behringers are clean and all together its sooo clean and revealing but never harsh. The timing is amazing. There is so much space between notes and images and it can be so warm if the recording has it. Vocals are so much more resolved.

Anyhow for $399 for a balanced networked dac and single ended headphone amp with volume control for each its a steal.

My old system was a severely detuned PC with low voltage underclocking, only 2 windows services running, no networking, etc with analog outs provided by a Lynx 2b.

A few posts mention that the AM2 is limited to 96kh. My old system did realtime upsampling to 192k and at least for me with no hires content outside a couple albums I could live with 44.1 since the sound has been transformed.

Its hard to describe but I think this is an example of the whole being better than the sum of the parts.

Any tips on things that can improve the sound. Like cabling and OS settings? I did most if not all the Focusrite recommended settings. I gutted the Surface and turned off as much as I could like the cameras, sd card, audio, etc. All dante and Hysolid services are running at realtime etc, and the music is played with out the user being logged on. Though really those settings dont seem to have a major effect. Anything to try would be helpful.

Thanks

Jan 10, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #3,570 of 3,694
I cannot answer that for your situation but it has always been that way for me.

I just replaced the HDPlex LPS that runs my audio PC with their newer version and I was amazed at the benefit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back