Audio Newbie - Suggestions please
Dec 10, 2010 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

konvict-kid

New Head-Fier
Hello audio experts.

apparently this forum is the bees knees of pro audio tech. ive been using in-ear headphones and my ear holes are not cut out for it (constantly readjusting/putting em back in and other graphic stuff) so i need a pair of headphones that fit over (or preferably around) my ears.

much like many inexperienced consumers, i started my hunt with Bose (QC3) and Monster Beats (Studio) being the most exposed headphones. i know they are frowned upon in this forum, but this is my jump off point. since then iv been leaning towards Audio-Technica range (M50, ES7, PRO700). 

some other factors that are important are:
- R&B / Hip-Hop
- i have a large head
- listening to compressed mp3
- using portable music player 95% time
- portable/travel friendly would be handy
- nothing over $250 (ebay)

with these things considered, please make some suggestions of the mentioned headphones and or others that i should go with. i prob left some other stuff but since im sweating like crazy right now, im just gonna start this thread

Dec 12, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #4 of 9
I haven't heard the M50s before so I won't comment on them. From what I've heard, they are good at all genres of music with decent bass and just excellent all-around, somewhat portable headphones.

But if you want bass heavy headphones for rap and hip-hop, I strongly recommend you consider the Denon AH D1100s. These are basically the Beats with good SQ. They are easy to power from portable music players. But small portable devices like the iPod Nano can't power them well at all, they run fine with iphone 4 and my Samsung Captivate. They are comfortable, light, and very portable.

For the sound, these are excellent for what you'll be listening to. It's not just bass with these. Unlike the Beats, the mids and the highs are also detailed and crisp. Vocals are very good so that's important for when you hear Eminem drop his rhymes. If you are a bass head you will love these since the bass is borderline overwhelming and yet they are pure-sounding. These really make your songs pop and come alive.

I'm not audio expert, but I've been researching headphones a lot the past month and a half and I settled on those. For what you listed, I think you'll be pretty happy with the D1100s.

Dec 12, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #6 of 9
thanks @elhungarian

@shorty920 - will def throw the denon's on top of my wishlist -it must be new model/not very rcognised because im finding it hard to find alot of info on it. with only 2 suppliers on ebay

any more suggestions are welcome people

Dec 12, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #8 of 9
Try the shure srh840s as well.

Oh and there are better places to buy headphones than ebay :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back