Audio Grade Fuses
May 17, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #31 of 798
Isoclean or Furutech. The IsoClean is a safe bet. To me it is the standard of an Audio Grade Fuse. It goes in different directions from there. I like the Rhodium sound with tubes. Have a few 3A if somebody wants to try it out? Just PM me. Need to get a PS Audio fuse next just to check it out. Gold plated. So I have not been in a hurry.

May 18, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #33 of 798
I vote for shielding your listening room from EM rays. Like tin foil hat style.

I think if I ever really got serious about power I would run a custom rig back to its own 20amp lines - ie cut new lines into the wall, etc with better than 2005 builder grade stuff...its kinda ironic to buy a XXX dollar power cord to go from your wall to the unit without taking it back to the breaker box.

May 18, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #34 of 798
Quote:

Originally Posted by twylight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I vote for shielding your listening room from EM rays. Like tin foil hat style.

I think if I ever really got serious about power I would run a custom rig back to its own 20amp lines - ie cut new lines into the wall, etc with better than 2005 builder grade stuff...its kinda ironic to buy a XXX dollar power cord to go from your wall to the unit without taking it back to the breaker box.

I guess people should ignore what they hear and make purchases that utilize your technical and financial sensibilities.
rolleyes.gif

May 18, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #35 of 798
My raptor amp says .5 amps on the circuit board ...

Does that mean it's a 5A fuse?

Trying to get the semantics worked out before I buy an IsoClean ... I have two Hi Fi tuning fuses .. one in my havana dac and one in my Stello SS amp ... and liked the improvement over the stock. So gonna try the IsoClean next.

May 19, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #36 of 798
Hey im not hating - I have a mountain of random audio stuff next to me - I would just go all the way on the power, not just the last 6 feet of it. Breakers, jacks, wires, grounding, conditioning, shielding, maybe even a custom pole from the power company. hmmmm this actually wouldn't be too hard to do and A/B between house wire and a custom power rig from the outside pole to the gear...I have custom wiring in my theater room cause I can kill a 20 amp circuit with ease - so I had 3 put in. moar power.

Fuses are a different part of the power chain than the cable - they limit the current.

May 19, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #37 of 798
I use Audio Grade fuses because they color the sound. Isoclean is the most neutral. If your gear requires a fuse. To me it is a cheap upgrade. They all sound different so be aware.

May 19, 2009 at 9:09 AM Post #38 of 798
I am using a Hifi Tuning fuse on a furutech UK mains plug. There is definately a gain from the fuse but due to price in UK, the gain/cost ratio is low. If only the fuse cost half the price.....

However, I will probably try out Isoclean on my amp to see if the benefit is more for internal fuse.

May 21, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #39 of 798
Listened to all the fuses again. Hi-Fi Tuning, Furutech, IsoClean. Even had xtreme4099 over my house to listen to all of them. At the end of the day the Furutech was the favorite. The IsoClean I would still say is the standard. The Furutech is soft, engaging, and great with my tube amp. The Hi-Fi Tuning is good but doesn't do it like the other ones do it. A little too laid back for my taste. It is not a bad fuse, just ain't me.

May 21, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #40 of 798
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listened to all the fuses again. Hi-Fi Tuning, Furutech, IsoClean. Even had xtreme4099 over my house to listen to all of them. At the end of the day the Furutech was the favorite. The IsoClean I would still say is the standard. The Furutech is soft, engaging, and great with my tube amp. The Hi-Fi Tuning is good but doesn't do it like the other ones do it. A little too laid back for my taste. It is not a bad fuse, just ain't me.

Yesterday I ordered IsoCleans for my Woo WA6 (3A), PSAudio DLIII (2A) and a HiFi Tuning (0.5A) large for the CI power supply for the iTransport. Unfortunately, no 0.5A fuses made by IsoClean. Will report once installed, stay tuned...

May 21, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #42 of 798
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2wheels4me /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yesterday I ordered IsoCleans for my Woo WA6 (3A), PSAudio DLIII (2A) and a HiFi Tuning (0.5A) large for the CI power supply for the iTransport. Unfortunately, no 0.5A fuses made by IsoClean. Will report once installed, stay tuned...

How do you replace a fuse of DLIII? I didn't see the fuse socket in the back of it.

May 22, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #43 of 798
Just ordered Furutechs to replace all my Hifi Tuning Fuses in my headphone system. Over the years this modest upgrade, as far as I'm concerned, has been the "best bang for the buck" tweak I have experienced in my system.

May 22, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #44 of 798
Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you replace a fuse of DLIII? I didn't see the fuse socket in the back of it.

It is inside. From my memory: remove the nine (I believe) screws on the bottom, the four on the back. Be careful when you take them out, as the eight along the sides of the bottom, the one near the front but in the middle, and the four on the back are all slightly different screws, so keep them separated properly such that you can put them back where they belong. Also, of course make sure that you use a philips screwdriver head that fits very well with no slippage, such that the tiny screwheads do not get messed up! Slide the top/front forward about two inches, no further is necessary AND remember that the front panel's switches are attached, and the fuse is right there at the back on the side. Replace, and put the proper screws where they belong.

May 22, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #45 of 798
I have to share my experience here. Couple of weeks ago I was visiting my regular Hi-Fi DIY supplies shop (Octave Electronic) and the shop owner was busy tuning this tube preamp on a customer speaker rig. What suprised me the most was how audible a pure Silver fuse sounds like. I can actually hear refinement with clearer highs as opposed to using the stock fuse. Previously I was thinking that a simple fuse could have not contribute directly to SQ - well I was wrong

Users who are viewing this thread

Back