Audio Grade Fuses
Nov 23, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #571 of 804
I made the exact same comment when I first got mine. After 100 hrs they dont sound so much like tubes, and it takes about 250 to complete. That said, I find them to always be warm and midrange heavy.
My system is already very warm and this comment concerns me. I was hoping for more dynamic punch- and in this one area- theses fuses are noticeably behind stock. They just smoothen things out way to much. Yes;- the detail increase is really stunning- but I need those harder edges that come with the stock. Is there a fuse that brings out more detail than stock,- even if less than SR purple- that is colder sounding?

Nov 23, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #572 of 804
My system is already very warm and this comment concerns me. I was hoping for more dynamic punch- and in this one area- theses fuses are noticeably behind stock. They just smoothen things out way to much. Yes;- the detail increase is really stunning- but I need those harder edges that come with the stock. Is there a fuse that brings out more detail than stock,- even if less than SR purple- that is colder sounding?
Yes. The SR Orange is pretty much that.

Nov 23, 2022 at 1:01 AM Post #574 of 804
Someone please quantify this or it is vaporware... (i am being direct- yes. This includes the mfger)
Making the assumption that a static or simple based resistance measurement is directly related to SQ is, in my experience and understanding, misleading at best and at worst completely irrelevant.

Why?
Because we are talking about listening to music which is not a simple, nor static, nor easily quantifiable endeavor.
Expecting to use wholly inadequate tools to evaluate a complex interaction is fraught with erroneous conclusions.

There is a means to more accurately evaluate the benefits of fuses and that is to listen to the changes they deliver, or not.
Yes it is subjective, but then so is listening to music in the first place.

And if you NEED to attribute numbers to the changes that fuses can make, I invite you to do so for yourself and share your results with the rest of us.
And besides, even if I were to calculate a set of numbers, would they necessarily apply to you and your setup?
And to create and claim a single number, such as 30% means nothing by itself without context, and without some form of description as to what changed by 30% makes this single number relatively meaningless, which takes us back to the complexity of music in the first place.

The solution to the fundamental question you have, which has oft been repeated, is to try using a 'tweako' fuse in your system and find out, for yourself, IF they provide a suitable improvement, or not.

After all it's not rocket surgery nor brain science.

JJ
ps I have looked at the waveforms of the input voltage and current draw into a power amp and there is less information contained in such measurements than is meaningful in this case, not to mention the difficulty and expense of doing so.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 3:03 AM Post #575 of 804
Th SR Purple will turn a SS system into a world class Tube style sound without the need for tubes and without slowing things down to much. Deep, layered, holographic, warm, ultra smooth 3-D sound with incredible inner detail. Perfect for Jazz and Classical... Better than any tube amp or tube preamp I ever heard- and less expensive....

Not for rock and roll.......IMHO...

Nov 23, 2022 at 4:07 AM Post #576 of 804
I've never noticed over-smoothing with either the SR Orange or Purple - just a more "natural" presentation. But with so many system and person variables, everyone's mileage varies. Fuse direction does affect this aspect of presentation

If you specifically want a more detailed and forward presentation (in a similar price and performance bracket to the above), then the QSA Yellow provides this - according to other fuse enthusiasts - I haven't tried it myself.

But I'm curious that your start point is already "very warm". Many audiophiles spend much of their time trying to chase away "digital glare" etc, and they find it's not easy to do if they don't want to also lose detail and dynamics in the process.

Nov 23, 2022 at 4:58 AM Post #577 of 804
I've never noticed over-smoothing with either the SR Orange or Purple - just a more "natural" presentation. But with so many system and person variables, everyone's mileage varies. Fuse direction does affect this aspect of presentation

If you specifically want a more detailed and forward presentation (in a similar price and performance bracket to the above), then the QSA Yellow provides this - according to other fuse enthusiasts - I haven't tried it myself.

But I'm curious that your start point is already "very warm". Many audiophiles spend much of their time trying to chase away "digital glare" etc, and they find it's not easy to do if they don't want to also lose detail and dynamics in the process.
Two things create natural rich warmth for me.

1. Hibik SDS dac- extraordinarily saturated and warm.... is my source.
2. Muon streaming system.

I have indeed found that direction matters a lot. What I perceive as the correct direction is smoother and more natural. What I perceive as the wrong way is punchier- like I want- but looses the magic of the other direction.

And after more burn -in I agree that it not overly warm and perhaps "natural" with "moderate warmth" would be my current reality. Hope to see what 100 hours does..

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #578 of 804
I perceive the directions for SR Purple as follows:

1, Brighter, more solidity of sound, more forward.
2. Darker, smoother, more layered, more holographic.

Which is the intended direction?

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #579 of 804
Have you accumulated close to 200+hrs yet?
If not, I'd use the 'go with the flow' technique.
That being, the current should flow thru the fuse in the direction of the wording on the fuse itself.

Then decide…

JJ

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 7:31 AM Post #580 of 804
Have you accumulated close to 200+hrs yet?
If not, I'd use the 'go with the flow' technique.
That being, the current should flow thru the fuse in the direction of the wording on the fuse itself.

Then decide…

JJ

Around 40 hours. I'll give it a good full week more of burn-in before deciding on direction.

Nov 24, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #581 of 804
Around 40 hours. I'll give it a good full week more of burn-in before deciding on direction.
Just an added thought to consider.
The fuse direction that you use, if 'backwards' will take additional time to 'undo' before the fuse will reach optimal SQ.

This comes from experience.

JJ

Nov 24, 2022 at 2:45 AM Post #582 of 804
IMO, if it sounds really thick and bassy, that is the correct way. The wrong way usually sounds more harsh and thin.

Nov 24, 2022 at 2:51 AM Post #583 of 804
IMO, if it sounds really thick and bassy, that is the correct way. The wrong way usually sounds more harsh and thin.
Thant is my current view. Thick, bassy, layered, smooth is correct. Harsh, forward, brighter is wrong direction. At least that is what my ears like. Still want to experiment in a week and switch them once more.

Nov 26, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #584 of 804
Making the assumption that a static or simple based resistance measurement is directly related to SQ is, in my experience and understanding, misleading at best and at worst completely irrelevant.

Why?
Because we are talking about listening to music which is not a simple, nor static, nor easily quantifiable endeavor.
Expecting to use wholly inadequate tools to evaluate a complex interaction is fraught with erroneous conclusions.

There is a means to more accurately evaluate the benefits of fuses and that is to listen to the changes they deliver, or not.
Yes it is subjective, but then so is listening to music in the first place.

And if you NEED to attribute numbers to the changes that fuses can make, I invite you to do so for yourself and share your results with the rest of us.
And besides, even if I were to calculate a set of numbers, would they necessarily apply to you and your setup?
And to create and claim a single number, such as 30% means nothing by itself without context, and without some form of description as to what changed by 30% makes this single number relatively meaningless, which takes us back to the complexity of music in the first place.

The solution to the fundamental question you have, which has oft been repeated, is to try using a 'tweako' fuse in your system and find out, for yourself, IF they provide a suitable improvement, or not.

After all it's not rocket surgery nor brain science.

JJ
ps I have looked at the waveforms of the input voltage and current draw into a power amp and there is less information contained in such measurements than is meaningful in this case, not to mention the difficulty and expense of doing so.
Understand on static measurements...

But the frequency response curves of the system with/without fuses should tell you everything, no?

Nov 26, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #585 of 804
Understand on static measurements...

But the frequency response curves of the system with/without fuses should tell you everything, no?
I'd say no. You probably would want an impulse plot to measure change in transient response, and some way of measuring a change in the noise floor, or modulated noise which is much harder to isolate. That said, you will see differences in the frequency response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back