Audio Grade Fuses
Dec 6, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #601 of 811
Yes, I saw Caelin's videos and white papers as well.
So I purchased an ASCC (Available Short Circuit Current) tester and performed several experiments using several types of power delivery and several different cables and duplex receptacles, and then measured the actual current draw into a 'test mule' HP amp using a non contact current sense probe.

The 3-4ms current flow pulses are followed by ≈ 8ms of wait time, or no current flow, in a continuous sequence.
So for 2) 3-4ms pulses out of a 16.6ms full ac 60Hz cycle, only ≈50% (at best) of the time will current flow into our gear.

So the greater the ability to quickly dump current from the upstream electrical service the 'better' our gear tends to sound.

In fact, if you know what you are doing AND have sufficient experience with ac power distribution systems, you can 'tidy up' the branch circuit that feeds your audio gear, and in a variety of ways.
Such as making sure the breaker clamp screw used to feed power to the branch circuit for our gear, that resides in the power distribution box, is tight and the wire lead has not been overheated etc.

I went so far as to use twist locks and soldered all of the romex to romex splices and noticed an immediate SQ improvement for the dedicated branch that feeds my audio system, ESPECIALLY the ground wire.

Optimizing the ac power current delivery capability, can definitely yield an improvement, even in our low powered HP systems, let alone higher powered speaker systems.

JJ
Very interesting. Thanks for this! I haven't heard of anyone else testing this, so it is really cool to hear some confirmation.

It's funny, in a former life as a studio engineer I knew an accomplished engineer who would talk about how tightening the screws on his breaker etc improved audio quality. Everybody basically laughed him off...

Dec 6, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #602 of 811
This 'trick' of making sure the clamp screws and the ends of the 12awg wire are optimally setup is a 'simple' tweak that in some cases can solve a whole mess of 'quirks'.
All it takes is for someone (previous owner?), at sometime, to run a circuit, where the clamp screw was slightly loose, with a big load, for a while, and so that junction got hot.
And then it gets worse, because as the copper expands, because it got hot, and then it cooled down, and shrunk, you can all to easily get arcing and so more heat…

And so all of this can go on for a while, especially if that branch circuit now only has a light load, like say a HP system pulling well under 100watts, or even 10watts.
Dirty ac power where arcing or the internal resistance of that branch circuit is higher than it should be, and which in some cases, can be a source of variable noise in and of itself…
And what if any connection ANYWHERE on that branch circuits path is loose or not 'properly secured' and gets hot (like say any other duplex outlet or load (lighting etc.)) especially if it is directly upstream of the audio system, and is a direct source of noise AND you'll find the ground has that same added noise.
Why?
Because neutral and ground are tied together back at the breaker panel.

And all of this presupposes that your ac power distribution system is setup properly, and isn't, like what exists in my house, that being post and pillar with no ground run.
And what about living in an 'older' apartment building, one that hasn't been 'updated' quite yet?
It isn't all that out of the ordinary where the electrical distribution system is, shall we say, less than optimal for tweako tunes.

JJ

Jan 5, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #603 of 811
Using the SR purple fuse in my Dac and considering changing fuse to the tube amp. Just wondering where I see more improvement using it in the amp or in the Dac.

Jan 5, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #604 of 811
Using the SR purple fuse in my Dac and considering changing fuse to the tube amp. Just wondering where I see more improvement using it in the amp or in the Dac.
I would get a matching fuse for the amp as well.

Jan 6, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #605 of 811
I would get a matching fuse for the amp as well.
That’s the long range plan, with holiday and everything that not going happen for a few months.

Jan 6, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #606 of 811
Realistically only you will be able to determine where the greatest improvement will occur, and by how much etc.
And it may not be that either one or the other will be the greatest improvement but that the accumulation of improvements could be the the greatest change and most gratifying.
This is usually what I find as I implement tweaks, that they are additive in terms of SQ improvements and no one single tweak is 'the best' as they all interact with the entire system.

JJ

Jan 30, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #607 of 811
I replaced all the 5 fuses in my system with the SR Purple. More micro detail, full bodied sound, smooth. Then I tried the Acme silver at 1/10th the price. A bit less transparent and less detail retrieval than the SR purple but 10 times the dynamics. Sonically denser as well. The Purple is smooth and detailed and will appeal to relaxed music listeners- jazz, clasical. The Acme will punch you in the face with severe force and density and is the the rock and roll fuse.

I'm keeping the acme. It is not even close. To bad for my $1000 investment in the purple.

Jan 31, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #608 of 811
I replaced all the 5 fuses in my system with the SR Purple. More micro detail, full bodied sound, smooth. Then I tried the Acme silver at 1/10th the price. A bit less transparent and less detail retrieval than the SR purple but 10 times the dynamics. Sonically denser as well. The Purple is smooth and detailed and will appeal to relaxed music listeners- jazz, clasical. The Acme will punch you in the face with severe force and density and is the the rock and roll fuse.

I'm keeping the acme. It is not even close. To bad for my $1000 investment in the purple.
Just curious as to how many hours of playing time are on these fuses?

Thanks JJ

Jan 31, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #609 of 811

I had a similar experience with an upper end QSA fuse, insane dynamics, and I think they use silver. On the other hand, it was way too bright, lacking bass, and density, so I stick to the Purple and M1. I like how punchy in the bass SR fuses are in the right system, but it doesn't always work out the same.

I've become wary of silver in all but the smallest quantities in my power system because it goes fatiguing really quick.

Purples do change a lot over a week and become less tubey and laid back.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 2:49 AM Post #611 of 811
100 hours
It took me 200+hrs for my PurpFuse to 'sing'.
And during the 'break-in' period, the SQ would shift all over the map, and in every possible way (dynamics, mids. bass, highs, soundstage etc.), and all of these shifts would mix and match (or not).

I'd suggest a rematch well after 200hrs of playing time.

Just say'n is all.
JJ

Jan 31, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #612 of 811
My Purple fuses have 300 hours. My Acme fuses have 100. The Purple is more musical i a smooth type of way; the Acme will puch a hole in you ear with sonically dense and addictive dynamics.

Again- I prefer the Acme at this point. I can see mixing them in my system as I have 5 fuses in my system.

Jan 31, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #613 of 811
My Purple fuses have 300 hours. My Acme fuses have 100. The Purple is more musical i a smooth type of way; the Acme will puch a hole in you ear with sonically dense and addictive dynamics.

Again- I prefer the Acme at this point. I can see mixing them in my system as I have 5 fuses in my system.
Have you tried any of the aliexpress fuses?

I'm considering the acme audio, aucharm or wilmer fuses. I had the aucharm red fuse before and it easily outperformed a telos audio fuse I had on my denafrips ares ii but I haven't tried anything else.

Jan 31, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #614 of 811
Does anyone know what type of fuse is recommended for a linear power supply? Fast or slow blow?

Jan 31, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #615 of 811
Have you tried any of the aliexpress fuses?

I'm considering the acme audio, aucharm or wilmer fuses. I had the aucharm red fuse before and it easily outperformed a telos audio fuse I had on my denafrips ares ii but I haven't tried anything else.

I've bought the Aucharm fuses several times, though it was during recaps so any effect would be lost in the mix of new parts. I'm restoring something new right now though and, after that's done and burnt in I'd be willing to do an honest comparison.....but that wont be happening for at least a month

Does anyone know what type of fuse is recommended for a linear power supply? Fast or slow blow?

Whatever is already in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back