Audio-GD Reference 7 - the new flagship DAC
Jul 29, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #2,612 of 2,738
Has anyone compared the reference 5.2 to the 7.1, or upgraded from the 5 series to the 7 series?  I'm curious the sonic differences. 

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #2,613 of 2,738
Quote:
Anybody change fuse? Where is the fuse in Ref7.1?

The transformers have built-in overload+thermal fuses that can't be changed.

Aug 16, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #2,615 of 2,738
Quote:
Im looking forward to reading your findings of the  Audiophilleo-DIR9001 (which Ive got) input versus the TE8802 board that Ive never heard.
Thanks for doing the testing.

So was I, until I saw this review by John Darko:
http://www.tonepublications.com/macro/audio-gd-reference-10-2-dac-and-more/

It's on the Ref 10.2, but it's using the same DIR9001 and DSP-1 v.5 as the Ref 7.1 and then also sports the Tenor TE8802 USB input.

Here's a quote from the review:
"All too often with boxes like this USB ends up playing second fiddle to a good quality S/PDIF feed. For many multi-input DACs even a modest USB-S/SDIF convertor will best the sound quality of the in-built USB port can muster.  Improvements usually present as a more effortless presentation and less evidence of ash-tray grey in the treble.  Whilst the Reference 10.2 is no exception, the Tenor board is a sign that in-built USB (done right) can get close to its neighbouring S/PDIF input. In a broader sense it’s encouraging to see a manufacturer taking USB seriously.
However, end users of even this Audio-gd unit are still advised to go with a good USB-S/PDIF convertor if they want to drag the VERY best from their source PC/Mac. In my listening tests either a JKSPDIF MK3 and Empirical Audio Synchro-Mesh were required to juice the most vivid presentations of Lampchop’s Mr. M from MacMini and Squeezebox Touch respectively.  Both set-ups bested the Tenor USB implementation with jumpier micro-dynamics and broader believability."

In other words: If you already have a top high end S/PDIF output, then the USB route via the Tenor is a step down, not up.

Aug 28, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #2,619 of 2,738
Modified Reference 1 now completed and on its way! Thanks to Kingwa and his team!
(Click for larger images.)

1. Note the toggle switch on the front panel that selects among SPDIF, USB, and I2S:

2. New additions to the rear panel, very clean:

3. Inside, you can see the Tenor USB board as well as the I2S connector board, and I think the I2S input selector board is peeking out from underneath the main board:

4. Closeup:

Looking forward to comparing the inputs and posting some impressions here!

Aug 28, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #2,620 of 2,738
Nice!

popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back