Audio-GD Reference 7 - the new flagship DAC
Mar 16, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #2,191 of 2,738

Quote:
In what way are you using the DC-DC converter, what components are in it (I only see caps and resistors)? Also, I see other modifications, can you list them (particularly any component changes, caps, wrapping, etc). Are you using ACSS when liste

Yes, I listern with ACSS.

For RE-7HE, in my opinion, the internal power wiring is too long for the best possible quality sound which RE-7HE can do.  After I have put DC-DC converter, the sound improve much better.  I have compare with many other top DAC, but not even comparable. 

I will list all of my modifications.

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #2,194 of 2,738

Quote:
BigMacinSeoul,
You might think about offering your modification services professionally, or showing Kingwa what you are doing so he can consider doing it.

I am very close friend with Audio-gd selling agency in Seoul, Korea.  He and I will discuss Kingwa about this modification idea.

For FUN, I have built a board to use WM8741 dac chip instead of FUN original WM8740.  After my modification, Kingwa has changed his chip from WM8740 to WM8741.  But I think Kingwa could do better.

This is my WM8741 board with five selective switch for digital filters. 

1. Minimum phase 'soft-knee' 
2. Linear phase 'soft-knee' 
3. Linear phase 'brickwall'
4. Minimum phase apodiging 
5. Linear phase apodiging

I have built as module base which people just can pull out original board and push in new board.

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #2,196 of 2,738
Wow, that is some impressive modding 
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 18, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #2,197 of 2,738
Very nice looking mod. If it sounds as good as it looks I am very interested in it.

Regards

Macrog

Mar 18, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #2,199 of 2,738
Hi bigmain

i have flipping your pages and doing my research about the JETPLL and I2S.

Although I am not a fan of I2S, it certainly worth looking into it. I am also trying to the digital playback as a backup easy listening. I have narrowed down to M-Audio profire 610 as u mention. However I have also noticed the better alternative of TC electronic Impact Twin that offers less than 45pS jitter (tested).

Can I know if I2S is indeed more superior than SPDIF (bcos audio-gd or other big company dont think so)?

Mar 18, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #2,200 of 2,738

Quote:
Hi bigmain

i have flipping your pages and doing my research about the JETPLL and I2S.

Although I am not a fan of I2S, it certainly worth looking into it. I am also trying to the digital playback as a backup easy listening. I have narrowed down to M-Audio profire 610 as u mention. However I have also noticed the better alternative of TC electronic Impact Twin that offers less than 45pS jitter (tested).

Can I know if I2S is indeed more superior than SPDIF (bcos audio-gd or other big company dont think so)?

The i2S sounds much better.  The biggest point will be staging.  To switch between Coax and i2S, there is big differences.  I can bet if someone hear i2S sound, he/she will also choose i2S instead of other methods.

For TC electonics Imapct Twin, there is problem to modify i2S.  I have tried to modify both Impact Twin and Konnect 8, but without luck.  They are not use normal i2S format.  Also ProFire 610 internal FS (Full Scale) is 512fs compare 128fs on TC's.  Higher fs is better for sound quality.  For example new Halide Design DDC also has 512fs, this can be one of reason that their little small tiny DDC sound better than most of Async. DDC.

SH

Mar 18, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #2,202 of 2,738
they are 2 reasons for me for me to use the firewire audio interface.

First I can use it to stream digital audio. Second is for my own room measurement (since it provides phantom power) or speaker measurement.

You totally buy me into it. I will be hitting the buy button on Profire 610 soon and I wonder if u can provide the details on how to modify the

1. Profire 610 to output I2S

2. NFB 7 to receive I2S

rgds

Quote:
The i2S sounds much better.  The biggest point will be staging.  To switch between Coax and i2S, there is big differences.  I can bet if someone hear i2S sound, he/she will also choose i2S instead of other methods.

For TC electonics Imapct Twin, there is problem to modify i2S.  I have tried to modify both Impact Twin and Konnect 8, but without luck.  They are not use normal i2S format.  Also ProFire 610 internal FS (Full Scale) is 512fs compare 128fs on TC's.  Higher fs is better for sound quality.  For example new Halide Design DDC also has 512fs, this can be one of reason that their little small tiny DDC sound better than most of Async. DDC.

SH

Mar 18, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #2,203 of 2,738

Quote:
they are 2 reasons for me for me to use the firewire audio interface.

First I can use it to stream digital audio. Second is for my own room measurement (since it provides phantom power) or speaker measurement.

You totally buy me into it. I will be hitting the buy button on Profire 610 soon and I wonder if u can provide the details on how to modify the

1. Profire 610 to output I2S

2. NFB 7 to receive I2S

rgds

Now, I am trying to modify NFB7.  I can have more detail modification point by one or two weeks.

For Profire 610, I can provide detail of modification or even i2S transmitter board with instrunction.

Please just wait 2 ~3 weeks for more detail plan.

Thank you.

SH

P.S. FYI  - For better sound, you should consider to use the Neutron Star as clock replacement.  It is from Denamrk and their website is "http://www.newclassd.com/index.php?page=36".

I have replaced master clock with Neutron Star with using seperate case.  I have used SME connector to connect Profire 610 and clock.  I will list down more detail on the next week.

These are my DDC look.  I have taken out one of ananlog connector on back of Profire 610 to put 5 din i2S connector.  I also use both Coax and i2S to connect with RE-7HE and CDT.

Mar 18, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #2,204 of 2,738
Hi

Are u using the neutron star clock to feed the M-audio only ? how about parallel connection to the transport and DAC, so that both clock is synchronized.

Mar 18, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #2,205 of 2,738
The Neutron Star outfitted with a worthy PSU can set one back a cool 800USD easy....and likely 1K USD with a nice chassis. Cool mods no doubt BigMac but way too rich for my meagre resources.

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back