Audio-GD Reference 7 - the new flagship DAC
Mar 1, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #2,176 of 2,738

Quote:
Quote:
That sounds pretty risky for no reason to me...

Shorter is indeed better but is the sonic difference really worth all that DIY and compromizing the future resale of components?

Id do some real tests with my equipment before venturing that far... but best of luck with the results if you do!

That kind of mod can be reveresed easily if need be.

Peete.

I actually did it when I had my Xindak mono blocks but reconnected the internal speaker wires to the terminals after I sold them.  The again I tried bypassing the terminals with another amp and connected the speaker wires from the amp directly to the internal wires with a simple twist on electrical connector.  In both cases a difference could be heard, but upon switching back after a few days you get adjusted to the sound with connectors.  Its a subtle difference but an improvement none the less.

My plan is to replace the leads coming off the x-over inside the speak with some Kimber 8TC [since it worked so well in my other speakers] and then unscrewing the terminals from the amps to expose the wires. Just de-solder the wire from the terminal with some wick and use a compression fitting to join the two wires together [wire from speaker and wire from amp].  To reverse just break the compression fitting and re-solder the wires from amp and speaker back to their terminals....if I want to use a speaker wire again.

Either way my speakers are old and aren't going anywhere, they have been thoroughly molested over the years.  And these amps are keepers too.  Besides its kinda hard not to tweak, and its so much fun too.

Mar 1, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #2,178 of 2,738
Wouldn't this be nice? Wonder if Kingwa could license it? Seems like an impressive DSP solution. x16 oversampling in one stage (not 4 stages), 1/2 sec fifo buffer to asynchronously remove jitter, etc.

http://www.msbtech.com/oem/DF-DS16X.pdf

Mar 1, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #2,180 of 2,738

Quote:
Wouldn't this be nice? Wonder if Kingwa could license it? Seems like an impressive DSP solution. x16 oversampling in one stage (not 4 stages), 1/2 sec fifo buffer to asynchronously remove jitter, etc.

http://www.msbtech.com/oem/DF-DS16X.pdf

Should I send a note to Kingwa or shall you?

I think as a builder his would be interested in this DSP.  He might not actually know of every DSP on the market and this one does seem like a good fit. Depending on costs he just might go for it.

I would love to see Kingwa take a year away from consumer audio and build himself the Ultimate set up from top to bottom.
Speakers made out of the best drivers with the best internal or external x-overs, the best wire etc. The best caps money can buy for the gear as well as the best everything else.  All the way down to the best A/C power and custom built room.

He could charge people to listen and call the room Heaven - 天堂

Mar 1, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #2,181 of 2,738
No his line-up is still missing a hard drive transport or at least an ipod dock :D. After that he can go make his ultimate system and get sent to prison for shattering every window on the block with sound.

Mar 1, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #2,182 of 2,738

Dynobot regarding the DSP go right ahead and contact him, make sure Kingwa receives it directly rather then an employee. I think this DSP might just be the golden ticket. I would contact him but I've done so too many times about various things and he's a busy man 

Quote:
Should I send a note to Kingwa or shall you?

I think as a builder his would be interested in this DSP.  He might not actually know of every DSP on the market and this one does seem like a good fit. Depending on costs he just might go for it.

I would love to see Kingwa take a year away from consumer audio and build himself the Ultimate set up from top to bottom.
Speakers made out of the best drivers with the best internal or external x-overs, the best wire etc. The best caps money can buy for the gear as well as the best everything else.  All the way down to the best A/C power and custom built room.

He could charge people to listen and call the room Heaven - 天堂

Mar 5, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #2,184 of 2,738
A question I figured I might as well ask here, instead of starting a new thread:

Does anyone happen to know what XLR configuration uses? Is pin 2 or 3 the hot pin?

Mar 5, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #2,185 of 2,738

Quote:
A question I figured I might as well ask here, instead of starting a new thread:

Does anyone happen to know what XLR configuration uses? Is pin 2 or 3 the hot pin?

Hi Dro...STD XLR wiring is

Pin 1 - gnd or screen
Pin 2 - + or hot
Pin 3 - - or cold

Peete.

Mar 11, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #2,187 of 2,738
Just got my new STAX gear. Early impressions on REF7 synergy are very positive. Actually I´ve never heard dynamic headphones pull this kind of detail from the DAC. This is my personal end point in headphones for now :) 

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #2,188 of 2,738
My new RE-7HE Modification.

This is origonal inside pictures of RE-7HE.

You can see there is empty area on upper area of DAC part unit. (Left Unit)

I have build a DC-DC Converter and put inside that empty area.

I also put i2S input module and change internal cable with silver-gold wire.

So far, for sound quality, I can say just one word.

"Unbeliveable"

After I have bulit DC-DC converter, it seems this is totally new machine from original.  I have use 22 63V 4,700uf BC-Comp condencers and high quality parts on DC-DC converter. ^^*

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #2,189 of 2,738
This is my i2S receiver board.  I have design for FUN and it works fine with RE-5 and RE-7 also.  I use Toshiba Logic i2S chipset.

I have printed Audio-GD name on all of my modification boards as you also can see my DC-DC converter board.  ^^*

These are sender boards for i2S.  I have built two boards.  One for Motorola LOGIC chip and another for Toshiba LOGIC chip.  FOr sound quality, Toshiba is better.  I have install into my M-Audio Profire610 for JETPLL function and also with my Wavelength firmwared DDC for USB Asyn. mode.

Both DDC can match with RE-7 and also RE-7HE very well.  I think it will be hard to find a DAC which can beat the sound quality to compare, if you have proper DDC or transport.  ^^*

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #2,190 of 2,738
In what way are you using the DC-DC converter, what components are in it (I only see caps and resistors)? Also, I see other modifications, can you list them (particularly any component changes, caps, wrapping, etc). Are you using ACSS when listening?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back