Audio-GD Reference 7 - the new flagship DAC
Apr 27, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #226 of 2,738
My first serious CD player was a Philips CD960 (some 20 years ago?). The DAC section was 1541 based and I liked the sound a lot. So I always want a 1541A based DAC, in particular the S2 double crown version.

I had a DIY 1541A DAC using tube buffer but not quite happy with the top and low end extension. In searching the internet for another 1541A DAC in 2008, I found audio-gd's website and by that time, they were selling a single end DAC using my dream chip (discontinue now). But after a few emails exchange with Kingwa, I decide to buy their TOTL DAC which is 1704 based, the DAC-8. I changed my mind as the shipping cost for either DAC were more or less the same. After that, I kept buying from them until I swapped out all my ex-audio gears.

It was 2009 when Kingwa announced that he was designing his ultimate 1541A based DAC. It was only available to "old" customers. I was lucky to get one. My "new" 1541A S2 DAC sounds so analogy that I just feel I don't need my vinyl gears which cost me a fair bit of money to set it up. For the meantime I sent my DAC-8 back to china for upgraded so I could not compare the sound between the two.

For those who are audio-gd users, do spend sometime to try out different cable. If it is silver, I find that the purity of the silver (99.99 vs 99.999) do make a different, ther is an ebay seller from UK selling 99.999 silver cable for a reasonable good price.
1. Digital cable, I am now using the green jacket Sommer cable (from germany) with very good result
Have not try out anything yet.
2. XLR cables between C1 and 0dB, the C1 has 2 xlr out each channel so it is very easy to bi-amp, I prefer this design than the C1 master.
C1-> pure silver xlr -> 0dB for the mid and high tweeters.
C1 -> copper xlr -> 0dB for the woofer
3. 1541A DAC to C8 preamp, using a pair of pure silver xlr cable. (I think it is called silver sonic revelation)
4. C1 to speaker, using something similar to the anti-cable with great results.

CAST cable? I am planning to DIY some silver one, please share your findings...

Apr 27, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #227 of 2,738
DAC chips aren't NOS or OS, it's the design of the DAC that is or isn't. I think you're thinking of those cheap NOS DACs that have become popular.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #229 of 2,738
Quote:

Originally Posted by tll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was 2009 when Kingwa announced that he was designing his ultimate 1541A based DAC. It was only available to "old" customers. I was lucky to get one. My "new" 1541A S2 DAC sounds so analogy that I just feel I don't need my vinyl gears which cost me a fair bit of money to set it up. For the meantime I sent my DAC-8 back to china for upgraded so I could not compare the sound between the two.

could you explain the new 1541a S2 dac some more? does it use 8 chips as well? does it have cast? im assuming its balanced..i guess im just curious since it was an exclusive product for old customers of his.

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #230 of 2,738
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
could you explain the new 1541a S2 dac some more? does it use 8 chips as well? does it have cast? im assuming its balanced..i guess im just curious since it was an exclusive product for old customers of his.

It's no longer linked, but the old page for the DAC 7, which used the Phillips chips is still there. I imagine it's very similar. The Sony and Marantz both have 2 chips.

Apr 27, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #231 of 2,738
This DAC not a product, so I post a few photos, not for publicize.
The DAC have real balance output, applied 1pc TDA1541A for per channels.
This is not popular, some DACs even though applied 2 to 8 pcs TDA1541A but just made them parallel connection. I only find the top mode Marantz CDP and DAC applied one TDA1541A for per channels and is real balance design.
I made two version for compare the sound, finally I choice the all WIMA caps version. Another version is too soft and tube like IMO.
The TDA1541A can accept highest 384KHz input, in 8X oversampling, the DAC can accept 48KHz input, but if setting the DSP1 at 4 X oversampling or low, the DAC can accept 96KHz input.
The TDA1541AS2 is very costly , around USD250/pc with shipping and now even though some people has offer this price but can't find it anymore.
I find some Chinese web shop offer the TDA1541AS2 ask for USD20, but I can't sure this is a real or a fake.
The DAC applied diamond output stage,match to TDA1541A , sound is quite analogy and bit on warmer side .
At the end, I just said: My English is to poor, sorry.

Apr 27, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #232 of 2,738
Quote:

Originally Posted by audio-gd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This DAC not a product, so I post a few photos, not for publicize.
The DAC have real balance output, applied 1pc TDA1541A for per channels.
This is not popular, some DACs even though applied 2 to 8 pcs TDA1541A but just made them parallel connection. I only find the top mode Marantz CDP and DAC applied one TDA1541A for per channels and is real balance design.
I made two version for compare the sound, finally I choice the all WIMA caps version. Another version is too soft and tube like IMO.
The TDA1541A can accept highest 384KHz input, in 8X oversampling, the DAC can accept 48KHz input, but if setting the DSP1 at 4 X oversampling or low, the DAC can accept 96KHz input.
The TDA1541AS2 is very costly , around USD250/pc with shipping and now even though some people has offer this price but can't find it anymore.
I find some Chinese web shop offer the TDA1541AS2 ask for USD20, but I can't sure this is a real or a fake.
The DAC applied diamond output stage,match to TDA1541A , sound is quite analogy and bit on warmer side .
At the end, I just said: My English is to poor, sorry.

Thanks for the insight kingwa
biggrin.gif
do you like the TDA1541aS2 better than the pcm1704uk and is it just a matter of getting more of them that limits whether you can use it or not? or do you just use the TDA1541aS2 for a different flavor of sound not necessarily better?

Apr 27, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #233 of 2,738
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the insight kingwa
biggrin.gif
do you like the TDA1541aS2 better than the pcm1704uk and is it just a matter of getting more of them that limits whether you can use it or not? or do you just use the TDA1541aS2 for a different flavor of sound not necessarily better?

I'd like to make a suggestion here. English is not KW's first language. When I correspond with him, I make my sentences and punctuation as perfect and simple as possible. I read over what I have typed 3 or 4 times to see of I can make it any clearer. I do not use contractions, idiom, or run on sentences. I'm not trying to be the grammar Police here, so don't take offense, I'm just saying if you ask him a question, be clear, clean, and concise, so that translation is made easy for him. I mean we use a different alphabet! I can't imagine the difficulties for him to communicate.

Apr 27, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #234 of 2,738
The TDA1541A is different flavors to PCM1704. PCM1704 sound neutral, so it had universality, it can design for a neutral DAC or a musical flavors DAC.
The TDA1541A fully on the other side, it sound a bit thick and musical, I ever build a DAC applied the TDA1541A match to ACSS circuits, but too bad, I can't enjoy the music from it.
I try a lot analogy stages with TDA1541A, only the diamond stage exact cooperate with it. A lot Chinese DIYers love this combo, as to know, Chinese DIYers is very difficult to please, I don't know why? Recently some one copy (steal) my old design (TDA1541A) and sale a lot in China.
My threads already out of the subject, sorry, I will stop.

Apr 27, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #238 of 2,738
Such a beast isn't a production item...I would imagine the customer would have to track down the SA-2 chips (denoted by the double crown symbol stamps on the IC's). I'm sure a SA-1 (single crown ) might be easier to source but they will also be expensive by now. The SA-2 parts availability is nearly exhausted (if it hasn't been already) and that includes "pulls" (from vintage CDP's and early dac's).

In other words this 1541SA-2 or SA-1 DAC is a one off item with very few examples floating around and zero new production units (other than custom/DIY). Personally I would not pay 500+ USD for a set of these dac chips since I much prefer my DAC be as neutral as possible. The PCM1704K fits that bill to a T (for me at least).

Back to the regularly scheduled program
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jun 6, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #239 of 2,738
RE-7DSP with i2S input.

Connect with JET PLL 1394 DDC function.  The sound quality is that "no other DAC can meet sound quality by far."

- CMC Super Cu Silver plated RCA Sockets
- HGA Single core pure silver 4N wire
- Main condencer shielding & Anti-Vibration modi.

Jun 7, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #240 of 2,738
can you post some review before and after the mod. what is

JET PLL 1394 DDC ?

I thot with the DSP, I2S is no superior than spdif.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back