Audio-GD Reference 7 - the new flagship DAC
Jan 16, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #16 of 2,738
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great! He/you probably meant as 96Khz. It is very easy to downcovert from 192 to to 96 since its just division by 2 (unlike 44.1<=>96).

Heh, yeah you're correct. TYPO TIME!

Confirm that again if you are really interested and it's important, but I asked that question specifically.

Jan 16, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #17 of 2,738
Ref1 with an input selector and I'm sold.
smily_headphones1.gif
I was already considering buying a second Ref1 for my second system. Looks like I'll move my old one up there and buy this instead. I notice there's a C3MK3 on the Chinese page too. Without being able to read Chinese, it looks like the C3SE with a display from a Phoenix. Not trying to get off topic, but does anyone know when that will be released to international customers too?

Jan 16, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #18 of 2,738
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ref1 with an input selector and I'm sold.
smily_headphones1.gif
I was already considering buying a second Ref1 for my second system. Looks like I'll move my old one up there and buy this instead. I notice there's a C3MK3 on the Chinese page too. Without being able to read Chinese, it looks like the C3SE with a display from a Phoenix. Not trying to get off topic, but does anyone know when that will be released to international customers too?

He's selling speakers as well, that was news to me!

Jan 16, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #20 of 2,738
From what I've heard his speakers are pretty sick. Let's keep this focused though.

Jan 17, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #21 of 2,738
I asked him about speakers when I saw mention of them on his Chinese forum. Since 20 years ago would have made him a teenager then, I asked him about it and he said he got into electronics and speakers when he was a teenager. It explains why he can design things like the Ref 7 though.

Jan 17, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #22 of 2,738
What a genius! Mozart would be jealous.
wink.gif

Jan 17, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #23 of 2,738
Here's a great transport to match from Sandchak, though if it's your sole source, you'd be better off with the Ref1. As I've said before, this transport was a bigger boost to my audio chain than the Ref1 was. A steal too! (Sorry for the OT)

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f43/fs...-added-453547/

Jan 17, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #24 of 2,738
For your eyes only
smily_headphones1.gif
.... the final product:

re712.jpg

For your reading pleasure:

"We will install blue LED display for all RE7. Because this blue LED is new custom order from factory so we want some days test.
We have test RE7 by more than 10 units different brand CDPs all has AES output and I think RE7 can suit most AES output source. In fact, AES has world standard, but I think some brands maybe not exact with the standard so I want to test.
Kingwa"

"We do AES is exact with the AES standard. You can see the photos, we applied a silver wires transformer for AES input.
Kingwa"

Jan 17, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #25 of 2,738
Yesterday I received from kingwa the REF ONE and REF 3, and now I'm reading about this new REF 7! Are my gears already old?
My configuration is:
PC--->(USB)--->(REF 3)--->(BNC)--->REF ONE--->(RCA)--->(tube amp).
REF 7 seems to perform the same function as REF one + REF 3. It's right?
confused_face_2.gif

Jan 17, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #26 of 2,738
Quote:

Originally Posted by newcris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused_face_2.gif

Except resampling/upsampling and USB input - yes.

Jan 17, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #27 of 2,738
Quote:

Yesterday I received from kingwa the REF ONE and REF 3, and now I'm reading about this new REF 7! Are my gears already old?
My configuration is:
confused_face_2.gif

You've got some Great gear there. I wouldn't sweat it. The big advantage for the REF7 will most likely pan out to be the increased number of inputs. No reviews of the SQ yet.

Jan 17, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #28 of 2,738
According to Kingwa the sound signature is the same and there is only a SLIGHT improvement in terms of SQ. I wouldn't bother about upgrading or worrying at all about your RE1 being an old piece of gear. Upgrade only if you absolutely need the AES input.
If Kingwa keeps the rate he's putting gear out we might see the RE8 come out next year.

I however am wondering why Kingwa decided to wire only the AES input with silver wire and not the others.
I'm considering purchasing a pure silver BNC digital cable and it would have been nice to keep the digital part of the DAC with silver wire and the analog part with copper.

Another improvement is that he corrected the lettering in the back from XRL with the RE1 to XLR with the RE7.
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 17, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #29 of 2,738
I'll be getting one in mid-February so I can give you my impressions then if you want to wait. It won't be an easy task since I will also be getting my new amp at the same time, but I did spend a bit of time with the RE1 and a Beta22 at two meets. Plus, I'm having the RE7 completely re-wired. I will bring it to local meets so other people can give their impressions as well.

I also had inquired about adding an I2S input. The problem is that different components use different configurations and different voltages for I2S, so it would be hard to guarantee a match. Most companies who offer I2S have both a transport and a DAC that are made to hook up to eachother. If there were to be a DAC from Audio-gd with I2S, Kingwa tells me it will not happen in 2010.

Jan 18, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #30 of 2,738
Quote:

My configuration is:
confused_face_2.gif

REF7 does not have function of REF3. It just merely added support to multiple inputs and a little rewiring on the power supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back