Audio-GD Reference 7 - the new flagship DAC
Oct 29, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #2,716 of 2,738
I finally realize how good the "7" is ... when I hook up an I2S source.

my search is over ...

no more crazy painful quiet PC/linear power supply/monitor/keyboard/mouse/windoz/linux usb solution.

It's so good my wife came to the room and said "how much did you spend this time" ...

I'm happy!

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #2,717 of 2,738
Anyone compared ref7 to nad m51?

Oct 30, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #2,718 of 2,738
Anyone compared ref7 to nad m51?

I think a couple of people on stereonet Australia have, one guy sold the M51 and kept the Ref.7 as his personal preference but thought they were roughly on the same level (at least in his sale ad)

Oct 30, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #2,719 of 2,738

my search is over ...

no more crazy painful quiet PC/linear power supply/monitor/keyboard/mouse/windoz/linux usb solution.

It's so good my wife came to the room and said "how much did you spend this time" ...

I'm happy!

Is this the DI mk2 or some other transport?

Oct 30, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #2,720 of 2,738
Quote:
hi,i am searching a DAC and amp for d7100, how does the combation of reference 7+ master 8? Does reference 5 and reference 7 really have obvious difference of sound quality? How about reference 10?

To be brutally honest, I'd get some better headphones first. Denon have truly lost the plot with their latest range. LCD-3s + Audio-gd set-up = Excellent.

Quote:

my search is over ...

I'm happy!

Which I2S solution did you end up using? I might have missed it from the previous discussion.

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #2,721 of 2,738
QLS QA660.

http://www.qlshifi.com/wzcp/qa660.htm#buy

In short, a SD card player, 24-192 max, I2S pin to pin compatible with Kingwa's Reference 7.1 with I2S input, I2S cable included (or any straight network cable).  dedicated 1pps clocks for different frequencies.  English description from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-QLS-QA660-WAV-APE-FLAC-24bit192K-digital-turntable-lossless-Music-player-/261118653303?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item3ccbe27377

it's cheaper if you contact QLS directly. They have an English site.

I has tested 16/44.1 to 24/192.  ZERO issues.  I have not tried any other connection (not interested).  But it beats my Denon DVD3590 ... not even close.

It passed the double blind test (my wife and my nanny) with flying colors.  another owner claims that it beats his DIY CDPro2 by a long shot.

GRANTED, I haven't compared it with any other highend solutions like M2tech EVO, Empirical and Audiophilleo ... so think of it my point of reference might be too low
etysmile.gif

I'm not affiliated with QLS.  some of you already knew that I came a long way getting an  $$$ USB solution into the R7.1. (prior to Kingwa's new USB32 offering)

Nov 1, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #2,722 of 2,738
Have been watching that qls QA660 too....very tempted to place a pre order earlier, but there was no review...and some how Clark said he preferred the spdif out to the QA100 FDA digital amp over the i2s connection...a bit of a strange comment.maybe the usb has no galvanic isolation while the spdif out has pulse trans?..and from inside the i2s lines on the PCB are very long indeed....not fitting the design rule somehow. Thanks for the headsup. Will look at that again..

Have been wondering how much better sd player could fare over the usb interface..as I couldn't decide whether I should get the Tda1541 sd player or an usb one....until I saw the Invicta dac reviews and Invicta's webpage Q&A which indicate pretty much both types of interfaces are at the same par in that unit. I do own a QA550 and to be i2s slaved to a tiny Sabre 9022 dac btw.

I do look forward to hearing the Qa660 transport plus the full digital amp QA100 someday, as FDA seems promising.

Nov 1, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #2,725 of 2,738
Em... not sure why you think the PCB trace is long.  the I2S socket to the next chip is about 1" away if you look at the picture.

http://www.qlshifi.com/wzcp/qa660.htm#buy

Now I am looking for a really short and good (Cat7?) network cable.  Some people believe that a flat one instead of a twisted one is preferred.

Nov 1, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #2,726 of 2,738
That player looks interesting. I think though I'd have to sit it too far away for I2S to be useful. 

Nov 1, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #2,727 of 2,738
I see, from the close up, those are resistors next to the socket along the i2S PCB traces....the real buffer chip is way far back....but don't know of any implication....and together with the interconnect on Hi Rez programs, just a thought : )

Nov 1, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #2,730 of 2,738
I could be wrong, but I was referring to the chip about 1 inch from the socket towards the middle of the chassis, which is close to the clock chip. Granted I have no idea about what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back