Audio-gd Reference 7.1 vs Violectric v800
Sep 2, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #34 of 42
Yo,

I am late to the party but I would say the V800 is on par with the Reference 7 if not better. I have not heard the 7.1 model but it can't be that different. Also the USB input on the V800 sounds better than that of the Reference 7. The Reference 7 seemed to have a warmer tone to it with smother highs and slightly rolled bass, at least the one I demo'ed did.

If you need more info on the Violectric gear I am always around. Project86 also knows quite a bit about them as he's heard the same stuff I have.

Sep 2, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #35 of 42
Hmmm. Warmer tone I agree, but roll off bass? I'm inclined to thought that Ref.7.1 bass is slightly boosted, compared to NFB-2, Calyx 24/192 and Invicta. Could it be that 7.1 is so much different than 7? Not doubting you, I'm just wondering myself.

Sep 2, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #36 of 42
Hi,

Well it's from memory as it's been sometime since I heard the Reference 7. I could be wrong about the roll off.
Quote:
Hmmm. Warmer tone I agree, but roll off bass? I'm inclined to thought that Ref.7.1 bass is slightly boosted, compared to NFB-2, Calyx 24/192 and Invicta. Could it be that 7.1 is so much different than 7? Not doubting you, I'm just wondering myself.

Sep 2, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #37 of 42
Yo,

I am late to the party but I would say the V800 is on par with the Reference 7 if not better. I have not heard the 7.1 model but it can't be that different. Also the USB input on the V800 sounds better than that of the Reference 7. The Reference 7 seemed to have a warmer tone to it with smother highs and slightly rolled bass, at least the one I demo'ed did.

If you need more info on the Violectric gear I am always around. Project86 also knows quite a bit about them as he's heard the same stuff I have.

Having gone from the Ref 1 to the Ref 7 to the Ref 7.1, I can tell you the 7.1 is a bit more refined than the 7. And as far as the DSP-1 modules, the v5 is by far the best. But don't be mistaken. You need to pair it with an equally well performing transport to get the most out of it, otherwise you could be deceived by not hearing it's full potential.

Sep 2, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #38 of 42
Quote:
Having gone from the Ref 1 to the Ref 7 to the Ref 7.1, I can tell you the 7.1 is a bit more refined than the 7. And as far as the DSP-1 modules, the v5 is by far the best. But don't be mistaken. You need to pair it with an equally well performing transport to get the most out of it, otherwise you could be deceived by not hearing it's full potential.

Kinda the real issue with most top shelf gear. Any weak link in the chain and it falls off its potential.

Sep 2, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #39 of 42
Kinda the real issue with most top shelf gear. Any weak link in the chain and it falls off its potential.

Yes, but especially so with the 7.1. It is extremely susceptible to transport quality. Other DACs I've used over the years weren't nearly as susceptible, but they also weren't as good as the 7.1 when it delivers full performance. So one shouldn't think spending $2000 on the DAC will give them the results many of us have achieved if they pair it with a moderate spinner or USB converter.

Sep 3, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #40 of 42

Strangely enough - I completely agree with IPodPJ on this one.
wink.gif

"rolled bass" on RE-7? Check your transport.

Sep 3, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #41 of 42
Hi,

I tried it on a Esoteric CD player and between it and my V800 I would say I prefer the V800 as it's more neutral. Even from my PC I felt the V800 was better.

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back