Audio-gd Reference 7.1 vs Violectric v800
Aug 25, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #16 of 42
Bourne, I am also eyeing DP1 as it 6moons much prefer it over Invicta.

I'm curious what makes you choose DP1 over Ref. 7.1?  Have you heard both?

Both are using BB chip, only that Ref. 7.1 is the R2R and DP1 is Sigma Delta ones.

Aug 26, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #17 of 42
Had an A/B session between the 7.1 and DP1 at a friend's place: USB input on the DP1, and using an Audiophileo 2 for the Audio GD.

DP1 is a good DAC, but the 7.1 won fairly easily. Weightier, smoother, 'bigger'. Very analogue-sounding. Nice DAC.

Having said that, my friend - the owner of the 7.1 - sold his in preference to the older Reference 7.

Beware 6 Moons reviews. Embarassingly I've followed them a couple of times, and ended up not really liking the recommendation. Have lost hundreds on resale that way. If possible, listen first and try never to buy on review recommendations.

Aug 26, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #18 of 42
Quote:
Beware 6 Moons reviews. Embarassingly I've followed them a couple of times, and ended up not really liking the recommendation. Have lost hundreds on resale that way. If possible, listen first and try never to buy on review recommendations.

This is really the best advise for starters. Most of the stuff said on 6 Moons do not make sense anyway. Trust your own ears and your judgement and try to audition the gear for yourself, if possible. This way you can get complete satisfaction of your system and save some bucks in the process.

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #20 of 42
Quote:
Had an A/B session between the 7.1 and DP1 at a friend's place: USB input on the DP1, and using an Audiophileo 2 for the Audio GD.

DP1 is a good DAC, but the 7.1 won fairly easily. Weightier, smoother, 'bigger'. Very analogue-sounding. Nice DAC.

Having said that, my friend - the owner of the 7.1 - sold his in preference to the older Reference 7.

Thanks, this is really a good impression.  Like what other have said, DP1 soundstage is not something to talk about, so ... 2-0 (for A-gd) 
biggrin.gif

I know, I won't easily believe 6moons or anybody's impression. 
6moons is just one opinion to me, just happened that what they said about Invicta really match my ear.

Aug 26, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #21 of 42
Quote:
Bourne, I am also eyeing DP1 as it 6moons much prefer it over Invicta.

I'm curious what makes you choose DP1 over Ref. 7.1?  Have you heard both?

Both are using BB chip, only that Ref. 7.1 is the R2R and DP1 is Sigma Delta ones.

Thought I'd try something new mainly. I also like the idea of having an alternate SS amp on occasion to mix it up with the ZDSE. I have not heard the Ref 7.1, but I definitely experienced the magnitude of sonic bliss that my Ref 9 once brought to the table.

Also, despite the 6Moons bashing that tends to run rampant here, it should be noted that there are other very positive professional (and otherwise) reviews that can be found for the DP1. And they all have pretty much nothing negative to say about the sonics of this unit. I can't say whether or not it 'beats' this or that dac out there, but for people to dismiss it because of the 6Moons review flies in the face of all the other overwhelming positive reviews out there. That said, I haven't heard it yet, and I've also been quite interested in the Ref 7.1, and may certainly purchase one in the near future-but at the same time I'd like to see what else is out there before dismissing other options.

Also, there are a couple of Headfiers that have raved about the 3D-holographic soundstage of the Eximus, so I don't understand why you said it's nothing to talk about...?

-Daniel

Aug 26, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #22 of 42
Thanks Daniel. I just curious if any significant sonic performance I should consider about the Eximus.
In the meantime, I will keep reading about it on the other thread.

Did I say nothing to talk about?

Aug 26, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #23 of 42
Very interested in the DAC.  Also looking at the:

Calyx.  

How is the USB section on the 7.1?  Does the DAC do better with a converter, or just using the Coax input.

Aug 26, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

Thanks, this is really a good impression.  Like what other have said, DP1 soundstage is not something to talk about, so ... 2-0 (for A-gd) 
biggrin.gif

I know, I won't easily believe 6moons or anybody's impression. 
6moons is just one opinion to me, just happened that what they said about Invicta really match my ear.

If I'm not totally satisfied on the DP-1 I suppose I'll have to pick up the Ref 7.1 and let you guys know the differences in my rig. Might not be worth it to some of you since I'll be using my headphones single-ended from my Zana anyway.

-Daniel

Aug 26, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #25 of 42
Ah, that one. That's not my opinion, I read somewhere, someone's opinion, but he maybe wrong, that's why I'm asking around opinions.

If I remember correctly, he didn't mention holographic (maybe true but he forgot to mention?), but not large.

Aug 26, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

How is the USB section on the 7.1?  Does the DAC do better with a converter, or just using the Coax input.

Kingwa recommends using an external USB to SPDIF converter (e.g. DI, audiophilleo, etc) for better results. I would agree based on my experience as well.

Aug 26, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #27 of 42
Very interested in the DAC.  Also looking at the:

Calyx.  

I did not order 7.1 with USB, as Kingwa suggest to keep USB out of the box, so I though I will buy something like Audiophilleo or A-Gd DI later on instead.

I heard Calyx, the soundstage and detail is amazing, but it's a little bass light, for my taste.
Piano sound is definitely more real than Burson dedicated DAC, but Burson is warmer and has more weight to the sound, your choice.

Aug 26, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #28 of 42
Quote:
I did not order 7.1 with USB, as Kingwa suggest to keep USB out of the box, so I though I will buy something like Audiophilleo or A-Gd DI later on instead.
I heard Calyx, the soundstage and detail is amazing, but it's a little bass light, for my taste.
Piano sound is definitely more real than Burson dedicated DAC, but Burson is warmer and has more weight to the sound, your choice.

OK good to know thanks RedBull.  Everything is point to that big a_ _ monster.  

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #29 of 42
Anyone have a perspective on the AGD vs W4S DAC2?

Aug 29, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Calyx is more forward sounding, super bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back